Subaru WRX to Go Its Own Way
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX to Go Its Own Way within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Say goodbye to the "Impreza" WRX Motortrend article on the future of the WRX "the Impreza and famed WRX -- ...

I Support ClubWRX

Subaru WRX to Go Its Own Way

Say goodbye to the "Impreza" WRX

Motortrend article on the future of the WRX

"the Impreza and famed WRX -- joined at the hip since 1992 -- are going their separate ways."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...#ixzz1S7WKg8TC
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-14-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

About time! This sounds very promising indeed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm almost shivering with joy & I have tears in my eyes.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I'm almost shivering with joy & I have tears in my eyes.
    Easy there big fellow ...

"Up until now, the Impreza and WRX used many common parts, which translated into entry-level Imprezas that were over-engineered," the source continued. The basic chassis and suspension had to employ certain parts needed for the WRX. That drove costs up, and many entry-level customers did not want or understand the significance of such high-tech parts, stresses our insider.

The opposite is true as well. The current WRX is limited by its econobox platform, making for a less than ideal sports sedan (coupe in 2014!!).

They'd be nuts to drop "WRX". The name recognition means an awful lot worldwide.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    That Sebastien Loeb comment is completely retarded. Citroen changed their rally car due to new FIA homologation rules, not because they decided that.

"Obviously the rally model will be based on the top-of-the-line STI car, but unlike previous Impreza WRXs, this new WRX will be more hard-core and less forgiving on bumpy road surfaces," adds our source.
    Have the source heard that in rally they change suspension spec according to surface?

As for the STI, we are told that the flagship will also employ the WRX’s 1.6-liter boxer turbo, but that the engine will be reworked to generate upwards of 300 hp for motorsport competitiveness.
    As in the new 2011+ WRC spec?

MT has been giving a lot of shady info lately
    Last edited by Igor103; 07-14-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor103 View Post
    That Sebastien Loeb comment is completely retarded. Citroen changed their rally car due to new FIA homologation rules, not because they decided that.
    I would not say that. 2.0 or 1.6 the C4 (especially with Loeb at the wheel) has been a hugely successful rally car. Subaru has been on the sidelines and realizes it cannot compete with that chassis.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    What the author also doesn't quite follow is that the Impreza WRC cars (let's face it, we're actually talking about GrA/8) were not based on the STi models. The WRC cars used WRX chassis codes. GrN Imprezas were STi models.

I have been saying a 1.6L turbo is needed since Subaru went the wrong way with the turbo motor and increased displacement to 2.5L, so I'd welcome a 1.6L turbo.

I'd still laugh at them when I'm not complaining if they fail to improve fuel efficiency on their new turbo motors though. Increasing power is not progress, anybody can do that. Making more for less is progress.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd still laugh at them when I'm not complaining if they fail to improve fuel efficiency on their new turbo motors though. Increasing power is not progress, anybody can do that. Making more for less is progress.
    I'd bet direct injection will go into the 1.6. This will help on both fronts.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I would not say that. 2.0 or 1.6 the C4 (especially with Loeb at the wheel) has been a hugely successful rally car. Subaru has been on the sidelines and realizes it cannot compete with that chassis.
    Its been a successful rally car, but its just a very weird sentence
    If you look at the Sebastien Loeb's multiple-championship-winning Citroen C4 in the World Rally Championship, you can see where Subaru is coming from -- or going to. They want to build a WRX that can beat the Citroen while still offering driving enthusiasts something special for their garages.
    They had a chance, yet Subaru S12 WRC was a huge flop, and in years after that it didnt do much better.

Plus the "special garage car" is still very different from wrc-spec car
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    Also C4 was winning almost only in hands of Loeb. Sordo, Rautenbach, Novikov, Atkinson they didnt show all that good of the results.

DS3 is much better tho, now you have Ogier winning in it too. And maybe Solberg if he stops messing up with the strategy on a gravel.

Its just a bad article, that's all I'm saying. I mean how do you dare to put WRX and Yaris in the same sentence.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I'd bet direct injection will go into the 1.6. This will help on both fronts.
    I am thinking so also. I would wait at least one year before buying the new car so that someone else gets to beta test everything for SOA though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, I'll be interested to see what kind of powerband a theoretical 1.6T would deliver. After driving around with a 2.5 for a while, I have no interest in dropping back to a spikey power delivery.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

At this point, it is unclear if Subaru will attempt an Impreza-based performance model to bridge the gap until the new WRX arrives, but it appears unlikely.
    That's really disappointing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hrm, by then I should have my first one comfortably paid off .

I'm interested. We'll see I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Hrm, by then I should have my first one comfortably paid off .

I'm interested. We'll see I guess.
    Exactly what I was thinking.By then it'll be time for a new car for me,but I might wait for a year to see what the new car is like before risking buying one.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.