Subaru WRX to Go Its Own Way - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX to Go Its Own Way within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Sasquatch Easy there big fellow ... "Up until now, the Impreza and WRX used many common parts, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Easy there big fellow ...

"Up until now, the Impreza and WRX used many common parts, which translated into entry-level Imprezas that were over-engineered," the source continued. The basic chassis and suspension had to employ certain parts needed for the WRX. That drove costs up, and many entry-level customers did not want or understand the significance of such high-tech parts, stresses our insider.

The opposite is true as well. The current WRX is limited by its econobox platform, making for a less than ideal sports sedan (coupe in 2014!!).

They'd be nuts to drop "WRX". The name recognition means an awful lot worldwide.
    If they truly are making a coupe in 2014, i will absolutely cry. that would be a shame to an amazing car and company. sorry man, but these cars have been 4 doors and wagons since day one and if they change that, they are going to lose a lot of customers, i mean it looks WAY better as a 4 door sedan, looking at the prototype coupes, they look so ****ing ugly i almost get sick. i have a 2011 impreza wrx and its beautiful, and when i graduate with my engineering degree in 2014 i was planning on buying a STi as a gift to myself, but if they go coupe ill be done with subaru, it would just end a legacy that they have come to make in regards to 4 door pocket rocket ccars able to handle all situations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    If they truly are making a coupe in 2014, i will absolutely cry. that would be a shame to an amazing car and company. sorry man, but these cars have been 4 doors and wagons since day one and if they change that, they are going to lose a lot of customers, i mean it looks WAY better as a 4 door sedan, looking at the prototype coupes, they look so ****ing ugly i almost get sick. i have a 2011 impreza wrx and its beautiful, and when i graduate with my engineering degree in 2014 i was planning on buying a STi as a gift to myself, but if they go coupe ill be done with subaru, it would just end a legacy that they have come to make in regards to 4 door pocket rocket ccars able to handle all situations.
    Are you saying they will lose customer because they offer a coupe? I'm sure they will have plenty of 4 door model lines to offer. Or are you saying they will lose customers if they only offer a entirely new WRX model in a coupe? I would imagine they will still have a sporty Impreza model to offer.. (Impreza GT, etc)

I have always liked the 4 door (and hatch) platform but I suspect new things will evolve to be separate species.. Perhaps (like I mentioned) a turbo Impreza GT to keep the 4 door peeps happy.. in additiona to the all new WRX that is a complete departure from the Impreza. I'm sure there were some who were disappointed when Subaru switched from Legacy to the Impreza in their WRC platform as well but things must evolve.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    If they truly are making a coupe in 2014, i will absolutely cry. that would be a shame to an amazing car and company. sorry man, but these cars have been 4 doors and wagons since day one and if they change that, they are going to lose a lot of customers, i mean it looks WAY better as a 4 door sedan, looking at the prototype coupes, they look so ****ing ugly i almost get sick.
    Honestly, the coupe thing doesn't matter a bit to me. I almost never use the rear seats (they are usable, though unlike most sporty cars which can't seat anyone over 8 years old on average so I can see why it would matter to some). However, I just don't dig the new Subaru Eclipse look at all. It makes me wonder if they hired the guy that did the current generation Eclipse after Mitsubishi canned the model due to poor sales for fugly + no power. This sounds like fugly + power so maybe it does fit the Subaru mentality (although with a 1.6L engine, I'm imagining the sub-3k RPM power problem to become even more pronounced since it will have no power without the turbo).

Frankly, the 2011 SEDAN is the first WRX I actually thought looked great visually, almost like a classy looking muscle car (The hatchback reminds me more of a Mazda, overall with that ricey rear-end look and clear tail-lights). So I guess I shouldn't be shocked that they would trash that look and go to something that looks like a McDonalds toy. Actually, it kind of reminds me of Back To The Future II in the 2015 Hill Valley (hey the timing is about right!) Griff and his inside-out pants wearing buds would be all over that thing. I'm sure the Fast5 crowd and kiddiez will be jizzing in their underwear when they see it too, but I'll be in my 40's for the next car and I'm going to want something respectable looking (current WRX is fine; that one is not). So I guess I better enjoy my '11 WRX because it sounds like I'll be parting ways after this car.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I just can't fit a coupe in my life style. Too many friends and things to transport.
    I hope the TheJ is right, and Subaru comes out with a 200-230ish HP Turbo Sedan/Wagon Impreza version to suite that need.

i'm gonna guess that this is the reason for the pretty ugly new imprezas. as for the coupe stuff, i dont really care as long as it looks good. i kinda feel like 1.6 is kind of small, but w/e. and i feel like who ever drew up that artists concept thing needs to be punched. that thing is offensive to the WRX name.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KNaph View Post
    i'm gonna guess that this is the reason for the pretty ugly new imprezas. as for the coupe stuff, i dont really care as long as it looks good. i kinda feel like 1.6 is kind of small, but w/e. and i feel like who ever drew up that artists concept thing needs to be punched. that thing is offensive to the WRX name.
    +1,that concept drawing is horrendous.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    The concept drawing is not even by Subaru. Some guy from Motor Trend morphed a few cars together and everyone goes crazy.

Plus these things never look like the concept drawing.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    I just can't fit a coupe in my life style. Too many friends and things to transport.
    I hope the TheJ is right, and Subaru comes out with a 200-230ish HP Turbo Sedan/Wagon Impreza version to suite that need.
    +1 The only reason the insurance is affordable for me (17-year-old) is because it has four doors and back seats. Apparently a sedan drops the insurance. I get... barked at by friends for having baby back seats, but I tell them the back seats are just for show
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

dmk
    I read that article the other day on my phone. I would hate to see the sedan go away. Maybe if they offered it as a sedan and a coupe. Obviously, they need to keep the WRX name if this is going to be their premier performance car.

I have never been a fan of smaller displacement mid to high RPM powerbands for a daily driver. IMO, they should take the new 1.6, stroke it to 2.0, give it direct injection, a turbo and an efficient, free flow exhaust with a bit of growl. A DD engine needs some halfway decent torque below 2500 RPM.
    2011 WRX Premium - Torqued Performance Stage 1 tune

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12