Subaru WRX Forum banner

The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief!

91K views 1K replies 97 participants last post by  joesubaru7 
#1 ·
Awesome Scion FR-S coverage:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163

Gotta be over 100+ photos and videos there so enjoy.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually a fan of this Scion. I've hated all Scion cars and the brand's image up until now, but this could definitely change my mind *possibly*. That's if it comes with the performance to back up that exotics look.

Now, will they be calling the car the Toyota FR-S in other markets where there is no Scion?

#752 ·
Great writeup, Shawn. Sounds like a "well-thought-out" car, along the lines of what we've been hoping Subaru would produce.
Engine note sounds awesome in that test drive 2 video.

#758 ·
Well the Scion TV ad is tasteless, implying the car is suited for that silly Japanese fad that I will not mention. I hadn't thought about that sort of thing in a while, it'd be a shame if it's still going on. Also, if it is still going on, there will be silly crashes and high insurance rates, and even potentially high demand for the car if the kids interested have well off parents.

#764 ·
5' 7"? Sheesh, y'all are short.

I'm 6'1", with roughly equal wingspan. Stocky legs though, so I only have to scoot the seat back 1 or two clicks from my 5'6" wife. Most of my friends with equal height have to move the seat 4 or 5 clicks back from where I sit in a car. Kinda weird how that works.

#766 ·
Yeah it does sit low.. I like that in that type of car though. I also didn't seem to notice until I tried to get out and vs my wrx actualy had to climb out of the car. Not unconfortably so, but noticeably so.

I'm 5'9" 190lbs.. wider shoulders and long arms for a short guy and a little soft round the middle.. fit me just perfect. I like it when the seat grabs ya and keeps you planted. Its one thing to slide the car around, its another to slide around inside it.

Just about every day in the wrx I'm using a knee against the door to keep my arse in the seat. Shouldn't have to do that in any car imho.

#767 ·
I really, really do want one. I can't wait for the chance to buy it, and I hope to do so by this time next year.

For those of you complaining about insurance, you should check out state farm. I got a quote recently for the WRX for comprehensive coverage, and they only wanted 120/month. They'll give you a good student discount until you're 25 (whether you're in school or not) and if you bundle some apartment renters insurance or home owners with them, they'll drop it even more.

My buddy who has been with them for a few years only paid 90/month on his Nissan GTR. No, really. They're the best choice for the enthusiast, I think.

#768 ·
Insurance will be different for everyone in different areas with different records. Insurance has been beat to hell in this forum. I've seen State Farm have some of the highest, and some of the lowest quotes, so it comes down to shopping around anyway no matter what. I only say that because with Progressive, I pay $100 a month for an STI...which most people pay double that with anyone else.

#769 ·
State Farm wont even quote me.

If you have even one ticket in the last 3 years you're sol. Regardless of the company, if people start crackin these cars up on a regular basis it will start to generate a trend and insurance companies base risk on trends as well as other regional and personal factors.

#770 ·
I'd love to put the BRZ's gauge cluster in my WRX...my brain needs a digital speedo.

Plus those seats...:pedobear:

I was ___ (this) close to buying one, but I needed space. Not to mention BRZs are pretty much on backorder for a few months and I didn't want to really buy a car in its first MY.

The 200hp although enough to get in trouble in, needed to be a bit more IMO, about 230 and the engine needed to rev a little bit higher around 8k+ to make the car truly stand out.

I'm excited to see what other cars will come out if the BRZ does well, a RWD Civic? 240sx?

#772 ·
I'd love to put the BRZ's gauge cluster in my WRX...my brain needs a digital speedo.
You'd like our Honda, then. The speedo is a projected hologram thing with indicators that pop up in 3D space. They got the effect by stacking various LCD screens in front of each other. It's trippy at first, but you get used to it quickly.

#777 ·
A little disappointed in the BRZ/FRS

I finally drive one the other day, and I honestly I wasn't that stoked about it. I like the seats and interior a lot the exhaust sounds super aggressive stock, the motor almost lobes like its cammed. Great car until you put it in gear and drive. First off its slow, like holy effing S slow. I honestly believe in a drag race my girlfriends cobalt LS could keep it a car length or closer. Next is the manual transmission costs like 2 grand MORE than the automatic.. WTF? Also when your on it and shifting through the gear you hear this almost blow off valve like sound but there is odviously no turbo. When I asked the dealer about it he popped the hood and showed me what I'm deeming the rice flute. It's a plastic line they run from the intake into the firewall "So you can hear the intake and feel like your driving faster." reallllllly? So all in all a little disappointed. Went in excepting a 9.5 and left with a 6.5.

#779 ·
Be prepared for the backlash, " you can't appreciate a real drivers car ", "speed isn't everything", and " did you drive it through a twisty mountain road? If not then shut your mouth ! " Because all we do is drive pristine canyon roads all day here in America. Who the heck needs speed anyway? We all bought our Wrx's instead of Imprezas because we dig the hood scoop, not because they're fast!

#784 ·
I could be mistaken, but I think the impetus behind the "backlash" was people coming to conclusions without having driven the car. If someone drives it, and doesn't enjoy it, then that's that.

#780 ·
Well I'm definitely not a professional driver. I buy cars that are fun to drive cause I'm all about fun. However for me it wasn't that fun to drive. Granted it may handle very well but if a super curvy downhill mountain road is the only place that car is fun to drive then I'll keep my WRX. JMO.

#785 ·
I liked the mud flap look on wrx's and the awd models. It always made sense but did really get over played. I kind of find it more of an oxymoron with a rwd coupe. It is what it is.

Got another one in and I get to PDI my third BRZ. At least tomorrow shouldn't be rainy so I may be able to get a better feeling for it then when it was raining.

#786 · (Edited)
I kind of find it more of an oxymoron with a rwd coupe.
037 Evolution II (from the looks of it; can't be sure about the Evolution personally).

#787 ·
And iirc a lot of the "backlash" also had to do with trying to directly compare it to the wrx/sti, mustang, etc.

It's just not that type of car, as Drews stated.

The OP drove it, and decided that his wrx is the better car for him. No biggie. No backlash ;)

Oh and +1 to Rays.

#788 ·
There's a big difference between that thing kicking up large chunks of tarmac and entire roads, and the BRZ which is just gonna whip around roads :rotfl:

#793 ·
Jeez Rex, you're never happy, are you?

Honestly, for me it's somewhat refreshing to hear some drawbacks. I'm sick of reading article after article gushing over this car and all the apologists trying to compensate for it's relative slowness in this modern era where Camrys can outrun old Cameros.

I still think it's a great car, but the OP drove it and didn't like it. That's good enough for me.

#797 ·
So let me ask you guys this, if when you bought your WRX's there was another version of the Impreza. Lets say it cost 1k more than your WRX, naturally aspirated, had 65 less hp, but it absolutely handled like a dream.

Would you still have bought the WRX? Because it seems like no one on this forum ever drives fast anyways ( even though 90% of your cars are tuned for more hp and torque)

#801 ·
This question is pointless. Again, you're comparing the BRZ to the WRX which Subaru came out and SPECIFICALLY said they did not produce this car to compete with the WRX. It seems that no matter what anyone does, they blindly compare it to the WRX. It's not the same car. You guys are so blind to the fact that speed isn't everything. A Porsche GT3 can keep up with the Ferrari 458 Italia (at least I think that's the model that they were comparing on top gear) and the Porsche had significantly less HPs

#802 ·
The question is not pointless and I'm not comparing anything to the wrx. I'm simply asking would any of you who state " hp isn't everything" and "A great handling car is just as fun as fast car " would've put your money where your mouth is and dropped 27k on a relatively slow car that handled great, instead of buying a car that is relatively quick and handles well enough ?

#798 ·
im not going to lie i like to drive fast,so no i wouldn't have bought the other car with less hp,but i can still a appreciate a car with excellent handling,especially where i live, take a car built for handling over speed to a place close to me like the beartooh pass and you will have a blast regardless of it having less hp,with all the corners and twistys,imo wrx is better because it has awesome handling and good power and accelleration

but take the brz to a place where it was designed to handle like mountain roads with all the twists and turns or a track i am confident it would be a blast as well.they are both great cars

#799 ·
To make the question a bit more relevant...if Subaru had had a 2700 pound sports car (meaning its power to weight ratio was actually higher than the stock, 3200ish lb. 2002 WRX that I bought) that had handled like a dream, I would have given it a close look, yes.

I may or may not have bought it..I already had 2 kids by that time, and practicality made 4 doors very appealing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.