Subaru WRX Forum banner

The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief!

91K views 1K replies 97 participants last post by  joesubaru7 
#1 ·
Awesome Scion FR-S coverage:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163

Gotta be over 100+ photos and videos there so enjoy.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually a fan of this Scion. I've hated all Scion cars and the brand's image up until now, but this could definitely change my mind *possibly*. That's if it comes with the performance to back up that exotics look.

Now, will they be calling the car the Toyota FR-S in other markets where there is no Scion?

#2 ·
#5 ·
The FT-86 body style is sick in its own way, but it looks a lot like the Subaru STI coupe version. From what I read in the Motor Trend Mag is that the 2012 Subaru STI coupe will be eliminating the AWD for RWD. Now by eliminating the AWD it takes away what Subarus are known for, just like the way they killed the soul of the Skyline but taking away the orginal tail lights and the heart of the car (In-line 6) for a V-6.

just my 0.02 cents.

#6 ·
The "AWD" thing is very recent for Subaru and they have not, despite all that they say, adopted it for their entire fleet. They still sold FWD cars all this time, for example. The same goes for the boxer motor -- they have not adopted it for their entire fleet despite what they would like to have everyone think at times. I think it's marketing born from necessity for them.

An RWD coupe with the Toyota 1.8L motor would be at the very least interesting. Even (despite?) a Subaru non-turbo 2.0L would be interesting. I'm warming up to the idea.

Major drawbacks:

The nose needs correction.
The wheels are appalling.
Using an 86 in the name will draw all the wrong crowd and could even doom the car to fanboy/fad status.
The front is busy, even ignoring the nose itself. Simplify. It will age better that way.

#7 ·
Spy Shots: Scion FR-S caught prepping for 'Ring runs

(sure look like the STi enkei wheels on there !)

We've been waiting, rather patiently we might add, for Toyota to bring out its latest sports car for what seems like millenniums. This new coupe will be wearing a Scion badge and go by the name FR-S, which stands for "front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport." It's the "R" and "S" that has enthusiasts eager to lay eyes on this Scion in the flesh. A concept version was trotted out at the 2011 New York Auto Show, but spy photographers managed to capture a camo-covered development mule adding "Germany" to the stamps in its passport book.

Read More/ Pics: autoblog.com/2011/05/16/spy-shots-scion-fr-s-caught

. :)

#13 ·
I like the smaller wing version much much better (on the link, lower pics). If Subaru made a similar version to that with AWD and a turbo (maybe 16g size or even VF series) I would consider that as my next subaru in a couple years over an STI

#14 ·
I like the smaller wing version much much better
The big wing is my main objection at this point. They seem to have corrected the nose I think, or the camo covers the problems in any case. I wouldn't wait too long for big turbo versions -- I don't think they're necessary and it's unlikely IMO we'll see them even if they were.

#17 ·
Video: Scion FR-S caught on its working vacation in Germany

We have the Scion FR-S on the brain, and it's not going away anytime soon thanks to the onslaught of new spy photos that keep rolling in. This time, however, we've got video instead of still photography courtesy of our friends at FT86club.com.

It's always great to see a car in motion, and besides, now we have an idea of what the Scion sports car's exhaust note might sound like.

We've been having some fun at Autoblog HQ debating exactly what's going on under all of that swirly camouflage. Some think we may, in fact, be looking at the Subaru version of the Toyota/Subie joint venture – that wing and those wheels say STI to us. However, others point out that the wing could easily be a shout-out to the Supras of yore. Regardless, we all like what we see and can't wait until someone pulls the wraps off this thing.

Video click: autoblog.com/2011/05/20/scion-fr-s-caught-on-its-working-vacation-in-germany/

. :D

#18 ·
Spy Shots: Toyobaru spotted on the 405?

These shots appear to be of the Subaru version of the planned, talked-about, redesigned, and talked-about-some-more 2013 Scion FR-S/Toyota FT-86/Toyobaru. According to our reader spy, this version was wearing Subaru distributor plates, pretty much giving away its true identity.

While the heavy camo does a great job obscuring the a good look at the car, and the shots are taken from a distance, it looks like the Subaru coupe will sport slightly more understated lines than its stablemate at Scion.

Click: autoblog.com/2011/05/21/toyobaru-spotted-on-the-405/

.:)

#19 ·
love the rims...

#20 ·
Subaru Announces New RWD Sports Car "Subaru BRZ" (equivalent of FT-86 / FR-S)

Details via FT86club

One piece of info our community has long been awaiting has just been announced.

Subaru has issued a press release [full transcript inside] announcing the Subaru BRZ name for its concept version of the rear-drive sports coupe that it is co-developing with Toyota.

While Toyota has already shown three concept versions of the FT-86 and Scion FR-S, Subaru has so far only shown a skeletal/powertrain/drivetrain concept (the Boxer Sports Car Architecture Concept). That should change as Subaru will be revealing its BRZ “technology concept” car at next month’s Frankfurt IAA auto show.

See INSIDE for more details and link to the Subaru BRZ teaser site.
Exciting to see new RWD sports cars coming out of Japan soon!

#28 ·
HP isn't always what people are looking for in a sports car, most people looking for a small sports care are looking for quick handling rather than straight line speed. Take the Miata for instance, the 'speed MX5 didn't even produce 200 BHP, but it's still very nimble and quick. The S2000 made 230 BHP, and 175 lb/ft torque (thanks to a VERY high revving engine) and was quite popular, even with it's rather high price tag. 200 HP in that small of a car will be just fine, but Subaru needs to make sure it handles well.

If Subaru can balance the power and handling properly and keep the price down to affordable, and justifiable, levels I think the car will do quite well.

#29 ·
I have no problem with a non turbo car. I have owned three mid engined sports cars and two front engined touring cars and an HP number won't be what makes me sign a cheque.

#30 ·
Mixed feelings for me about 4-banger NA cars at this point. Intellectually, I agree with what's been said; it's nice to have the responsiveness and simplicity of a nonturbo car, and horsepower certainly isn't everything. It's got to handle..

OTOH, when I actually get behind the wheel of a car with no forced induction, even one with decent hp numbers, I find myself waiting for something to happen. :rotfl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.