The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 60
+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; AutoX'd a "TRD" FR-S at a Scion-sponsored free event today. The course wasn't terribly challenging (no surprise there), but the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    AutoX'd a "TRD" FR-S at a Scion-sponsored free event today. The course wasn't terribly challenging (no surprise there), but the car was awesome. They had four cars spec'd as so:
    *6-speed automatic
    *TRD springs
    *18" Enkei rpf1's w/ Yokohama S Drive tires
    *TRD catback exhaust

First, getting in: piece 'o cake. It easily swallowed my stocky 6'1" frame, and I actually scooted the seat forward. That said, the back seat is completely useless. Even with my wife scooted up in the passenger seat, there was maybe two inches to the edge of the back seat. The stock FR-S seats are VERY comfortable and well-bolstered. Coming from my supportive bugeye seats, I felt right at home. All controls are in easy reach, and everything is exactly where your hand expects it to be. It's not all sunny and rosy, though. The interior has more hard plastics than Joan River's face (as I'd expect from a Scion, but still), and the stereo looked like some drug store Walkman Scion picked up on the way to the press conference. I'm being picky, though, none of those things are really deal-breakers, and a better stereo would be cake to source.

Ok, now we're inside and situated, we're at the starting line, and... HAMMERDOWN!!! Ok, acceleration isn't this car's strongest suit. First off, that catback sounds great. Definitely a nice "boxer rumble" despite the equal length headers. Second, I immediately felt this car could have benefited from an extra 50hp. Cliche, I know, but I felt a bit like car fell on its face a bit off the line. I had my foot to the floor, and you could tell the engine was "given' 'er all she's got, cap'n!", but I was hoping for a bit more grunt.

First corner coming: hard right hander, and... HOLY TURN IN, BATMAN! Yep, this is why you buy a FR-S/BRZ. This car was born to attack corners like a wolverine. It was built from the ground up with this mission, and it's really good at it. You wonder if Subaru consulted with Takumi Fujiwara during development, they're from the same prefecture after all.

I did notice a bit of understeer on a hammerhead turn opening to a long right hander. From what I've read, the FR-S is supposed to be the more tail-happy of the twins, and while I did step the back out a bit in several corners, there was more front end push than I had anticipated. That could be a function of the different springs and tires, or maybe my driving (yeah, probably my driving), I'm not sure. In any case, it resulted in the car enjoying a healthy snack of four or five cones on the outside of the corner.

Yikes, tight right hander coming up: step on the brakes. "Hmm, nice braking feel." Also, these cars had been abused all day long with almost no time to cool, yet the brakes felt solid. I didn't notice any brake fade on any of the three runs I did. They didn't mention any special "TRD" brake upgrades done to the cars in the presentation, but that's not to say they didn't swap on beefier pads or fluids, I have no idea.

Ok, power down again, there's the engine blip as the automatic downshifts, and there goes the tach blasting into orbit again. Actually, the automatic does a great job keeping up with AutoX duty. I briefly tried the paddles, but found the auto's brain made enough good decisions on its own that I could leave it to its own devices and not be disappointed. With your foot to the floor, it holds the shifts until the engine begs for mercy, and was quick enough with the downshifts to not leave me hanging on the exits. One neat trick: the shifter is very cleverly disguised to look and feel like a manual in your hand. It's actually easy to forget you're not using a row-your-own shifter. Thankfully, you can "shift" the automatic both on the stick and from the flappy paddles, neither of which I really needed to play with much with the relatively low speed of AutoX.

Ok, the finish line "stop box" coming up, and... slam the brakes *ABS skid...skid...skid...*
    Again, good braking feel and surprising endurance given the hard day's use, but the ABS needs a few more lessons, I think. I didn't play with the nanny settings (they were astutely covered up by the staff), so maybe there's some more fun to be had in there somewhere.

In summary, it's a great little car, and if we weren't looking to have kids in the next couple years, I'd seriously consider one, despite my criticisms. It really reminded me of driving a Miata, but one with ample headroom, a better engine, and vastly superior seats. I would be interested to see what Subaru does with that powerplant in the future. Does it need a turbo? Not necessarily, but a "Stage II tune" (whatever that means) for this car would do wonders.

I'll post pics and video tomorrow, but it's been a long week and I'm wiped out. I just wanted to try my hand at auto journalism while all of this was fresh in my mind.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks Isaac!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Great write up! Got a close up look at a scion version last weekend. Need to go check out the brz at the local dealership. They have 2.
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

Bought a BRZ last Friday....only to have the dealer in CA we were buying from back out of the deal and sell to someone paying $7K mark up over MSRP.

Any of you thinking of taking the plunge, read this: Unofficial - CEL/SL/Idle Issue List for FR-S/BRZ Owners - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

We feel like we dodged a bullet at this point. We may wait for the next production cycle (should be available in the US in March)....but we're going to be following the fixes closely to see if they've actually cured the problem. The way it looks now: Neither Toyota or Subaru know exactly what's wrong or what the fix is.

And....there's just speculation and conjecture about the percentage of cars with the problem. I'm skeptical it's as limited as they are claiming with the relatively high numbers seen on ONE forum.

2 cents,
    Sean

I Support ClubWRX

The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief!

I'd never pay over MSRP.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

We weren't either....which is why the dealer sold it to someone who would. I bet I could sue for breach since we'd given consideration, but since we're not really wanting one until they fix the CEL problem, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie in this case.

I Support ClubWRX

Sounds like a fortunate turn but it's a shame to see the same price silliness that occurred when the Miata was released happen again. To me it means I won't bother even thinking about the car. They'll make money though it seems.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Agreed. I've never contemplated even buying at full MSRP either. Since it was cheaper than the STI that I thought we should get initially and since it was the design the wife fell it love with, I sorta justified it as....."Well, at least it's cheaper by like $6K".

Still full MSRP is a first for me. I see where you're coming from.

Sean

The scion, while not as well equipped with goodies is only sold under pure pricing. This means that whatever the scion has it advertised at is what they sell it for. Its usually really close to MSRP if not a tad under. If I want one, I've got a local hookup (good friends with net sales mgr) but regardless of Josh's ability to get me the car the pricing will remain at whatever Scion is advertising them as.

Subaru DEALERS can inflate all they want though, and though the car is better equipped inside I prefer the bare bones nature of the scion inside and the more aggressive body work on the outside.

I'm not ready for another car yet though, I'd have to sell the WRX first and at this point unless a full book offer comes across my plate I'm not considering that.

It really is a wicked little car though. Very fun to drive.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

See, I think the BRZ is more aggressive looking than the FRS....

The main reason to go with Subi is what the FRS owners are finding out.....the guys handling their warranties are Toyota/Scion mechanics with no boxer engine experience. Since they are having to crack open the engines and change out cam gears and all sorts of other parts, for many....it's their first time.

Something to consider.

I Support ClubWRX

Wait, are there cam issues?

It would appear so....look up at post 889. There's a link to the 86 forum......the VVT is the problem. But they think it's a mix of hard parts and the ECU....

Actually, let me step back. They have no idea what the problem is IMO.

At first they thought it was all hard parts.....they were changing cam gear sprockets. Then they thought it just needed the ECU reflashed.....now they are doing both, but at least one owner has already had both the hard parts and the new ECU fail and have the same problem.

Read the thread linked above for more info.

Sean

I Support ClubWRX

Very interesting.

I Support ClubWRX
    Rumors and speculation on upcoming improvements to the BRZ/FR-S: Looks like a KERS system (ala Formula 1 and Le Mans) is being explored, that's pretty cool.

KERS Hybrid for High-Performance Scion FR-S in Development - WOT on Motor Trend
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Let's talk about Wankel engines!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.