The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 6
Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here you all go 2013 Subaru BRZ Prototype First Drive - Motor Trend Have to be honest.....that got me excited ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Here you all go 2013 Subaru BRZ Prototype First Drive - Motor Trend

Have to be honest.....that got me excited for this car. Maybe my post college car
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, I don't get the allure of the whole 0-60 time and quarter mile time. I mean that is a controlled test to give a relative benchmark on a car stock from the dealership. The question to me is always how long can I get away with doing something like that to my car? Odds are on most of them not long. Besides, how often are you drag racing your daily driver. I mostly look for a car that is comfortable for me to sit in for 3+ hours of driving and makes me smile on my daily drive into work. Because the truth is that if it can't do those two things what is the point of buying the damn thing in reality. If you have the money to have a weekend toy car and a daily driver more power to you.

From the way it sounds from the reviews the BRZ/FR-S should have the smile factor down. As to the rest just have to see what it is when it comes out. I still put money down that the car will be too small for me to comfortably drive.

im also getting very interested in this car... seems like a great recipe, lightweight, enough power, emphasis on handling, awesome. i hope that this car does well, and remains light for years to come, and more so that the price remains reasonable throughout its evolution. I also wonder how this car will evolve and at what rate from one model year to the next. Being as though i have a 2011 wrx, its nice to just sit back awhile and see how or if it does change from one model year to the next.

^Well said. It definitely has potential. Interested to see how it does if applied to the road racing world.
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

Quote Originally Posted by sc13 View Post
    im also getting very interested in this car... seems like a great recipe, lightweight, enough power, emphasis on handling, awesome. i hope that this car does well, and remains light for years to come, and more so that the price remains reasonable throughout its evolution. I also wonder how this car will evolve and at what rate from one model year to the next. Being as though i have a 2011 wrx, its nice to just sit back awhile and see how or if it does change from one model year to the next.
    It is a great recipe...might want to refer to the Lotus Elise
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I read that article. It stood out to me in flashing neon that the guy almost immediately wished he had more power in the canyon. 0-60 may not mean much for daily driving, but I can guarantee you a car that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds is not going to have ANY trouble accelerating to 65 mph on an on-ramp in well under 5 seconds without even trying (yeah it'd last a LONG time). I don't know where most of you drive the majority of your miles, but I'm on an L typed setup to work, meaning slow 35 zone to the freeway ramp and then almost a straight shot to the exit (gentle curve at some spots). I don't need to corner at high speed. I need big boosts of speed for accelerating and passing and need to maintain it for 10 miles or so plus a few short roads in-between the two main drags.

Yeah, cornering on rails is fun and where I used to live, that came up on the way to work a lot. Here, it's 90 degree turns on back roads and straight shot freeway. I'd rather have more power and less cornering than the other way around right now and hence any mods to this car will be straight power to start. I had a ProbeGT two cars ago that could corner great, but at 165HP, some mini-vans could pass me at a side-by-side red light start. THAT sucks and cornering doesn't make up for it, IMO. I'm sure this car will go better with lighter weight and 200HP, but it's not going to beat a WRX, especially a Stage 1 modified car (which costs almost nothing to do).

Before I considered this car what-so-ever, I'd want to know how much headroom, etc. it has. I tried to sit in certain cars at the auto show and there's no flipping way I'd want to try and squeeze into an Elise. This WRX sedan already has less headroom than my '04 Wagon (which had no moon roof).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quarter mile trap speed would seem to be a better measure for the kind of activity you're referring to. Even then, though, a car could trap at 130mph and still not appeal to me as a fun driver. Less computers, more driver involvement.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Less computers, more driver involvement.
    This 100%...

That's why I wouldn't really care to own a mushbox Mercedes or Lexus or some other luxury thing. Yeah they are powerful, but their plush. Not my style. Even my uncle's 2011 335i complete with 6-spd felt more like a linear powered mushbox compared to my STI. The clutch felt like it didn't even exist, it was so easy to push down. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice car and fun to drive, but it just felt like it was missing something. It certainly wasn't the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that I felt connected to even like on my slow ass 1996 318i 5spd I had.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    This 100%...

That's why I wouldn't really care to own a mushbox Mercedes or Lexus or some other luxury thing. Yeah they are powerful, but their plush. Not my style. Even my uncle's 2011 335i complete with 6-spd felt more like a linear powered mushbox compared to my STI. The clutch felt like it didn't even exist, it was so easy to push down. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice car and fun to drive, but it just felt like it was missing something. It certainly wasn't the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that I felt connected to even like on my slow ass 1996 318i 5spd I had.
    Ha...the ultimate driving machine...for people that don't really like to drive.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    This 100%...

A buddy of mine had an early '90's BMW 3 series that was a blast to drive. Connected to the road and raw the way my Bugeye is. Later I drove an E46 and it was a different experience. I'm sorry to hear that they've become even more deadened.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Take it down a notch Mango/Magnum.
    Mango. Read this again.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

It's almost like a Pontiac solstice or Saturn sky...hmmm...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    And like I said, if you run out of power, no amount of cornering or 'connection to the road' will make up for it.
    Intelligent people can disagree. My little truck, making about 100hp, is actually far more fun to drive than my wife's 250hp minivan. RWD, stick shift, and throttle response make it so.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Autocar UK - Subaru BRZ review/first drive

This is the Subaru BRZ development prototype, which is most easily introduced as Subaru’s take on the Toyota FT-86 – athough that statement is factually contentious.

When, in 2008, Toyota chairman Katsuaki Watanabe decided he wanted an affordable 2+2 coupe, he found that his company was already at full capacity building cars it could sell, and its development engineers were flat out working on alternative powertrain projects. As a result, the Toyota FT-86 and Subaru BRZ rear-drive, front-engined coupes are, in fact, mostly a Subaru production. Oh, and there will likely be another spin-off, badged as a Scion FR-S, for the US market. .........

What’s it like?

At its heart is the Subaru 2.0-litre flat-four front engine, codenamed FB20 and established already in the Impreza. However, it sits 12cm lower in the engine bay than in the Impreza, and 24cm further back. The result is a claimed 45:55 per cent weight distribution front to rear.

In the prototype we drove the result was a joy. Subaru was claiming 210bhp at 7000rpm and a redline than starts at 7500rpm, plus maximum torque of 170lb ft at 4000rpm. However these were estimates, and are up on the projections for the identical FT-86 unit.

Regardless, it felt quick enough, and, thanks to the Toyota derived cylinder head and direct injection it speeds up faster than any other normally aspirated Subaru boxer engine. Only from 1800-3000rpm is the absence of boost slightly noticeable.

The Subaru BRZ feels agile and light-footed. Turn in to a fast corner and it understeers only very slightly, but trail the brakes or lift mid-corner and that quickly turns in to controllable oversteer. At high speeds it feels very stable – thanks in no small part to ist relatively long 257cm wheelbase.

Read Article: autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Subaru-BRZ-2.0/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 11-08-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I've been slaying the corners in my 99.5 Jetta....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide