The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 57
Page 57 of 73 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 Wow look at the pedal placement...you're like kicking the pedals, not pressing them Yeah, lots of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Wow look at the pedal placement...you're like kicking the pedals, not pressing them
    Yeah, lots of sports cars had the pedals hinged at the bottom... for some reason. The Ferrari Enzo was the most recent I could find.

The only problem with the ones on this car are that they're so close together.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    They move in an arc similar to how your foot moves.. vs against it. Its actually very comfy to drive cars set up like this.
    That makes sense.

I Support ClubWRX
    The last car I can name with bottom hinged pedals is I guess the Beetle, that was made until I think 2002 or maybe 2003. So that'd be a North-American Superbeetle.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, the beetle-derived pedal cluster that I bought for the buggy is floor-hinged. I never had a problem with it in my 2 beetles.

Gorgeous Europa. Gotta love Lotus for doing their own thing...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Yeah, lots of sports cars had the pedals hinged at the bottom... for some reason. The Ferrari Enzo was the most recent I could find.

The only problem with the ones on this car are that they're so close together.
    Yeah I know a lot do and that's not the weird part. It's the fact that the pedal itself is up so high on the firewall...like no bend to the leg. At least on the car we were talking about here.

Many older BMWs are hinged on the bottom, at least the go-pedal is.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I got curious and looked up which car with bottom pivot pedals is more recent, the VW Beetle or the Ferrari Enzo Ferrari.

I can't tell. The VW Beetle was made from... 1938 until 30.07.2003.

The Ferrari Enzo Ferrari was listed as a 2003 model, but there seems to be a chassis designated as a 2004 model and given to... the Pope.

For both the VW and the Ferrari, I couldn't make this stuff up! Anyway, it seems the Ferrari is more recent if we count the Vatican 2004 car. However, the VW is a better and more significant car. Take your pick.

Now, if FIATs later than the Enzo Ferrari also use down-pivoted pedals, I don't know. This could be FIAT-wide in the touring and sporting cars (Maserati, Ferrari etc.). If so, FIAT wins.

Back to regular programming.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Seems like there are plenty of recent ones and I think the Zonda takes the prize for "Most ergonomically-uncomfortable-looking"...

Floor Hinged Gas Pedals

I Support ClubWRX
    Very interesting.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Zonda looks really hard to heel-toe shift.

In college, I designed a pedal system for our SAE car. It was floor-hinged because the driver sat in a more reclined position (like an F1 car), and that was much more ergonomic and easier to package chassis-wise. for more upright seating positions like big trucks, I'd argue top hinge setups are more ergonomic.

I used Catia which has built-in modeling tools for ergonomics. You can design a human analog based off of percentiles, plop it into the vehicle model, then test things like range of motion, reach angles, what percentage legs are extended, etc. It's pretty cool stuff. I designed most of the ****pit with this model, including a home-brew suspension seat that was like a sort of hammock supported by the chassis members. I sewed it myself out of ballistic nylon and seat belt webbing. (Real men use sewing machines!) It did a great job absorbing the shock to the driver of jumping off a 5' kicker.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I watched Back to The Future last night and had a flash of inspiration:

+

= ???

I could see picking up a rear-ended BRZ and chopping into into a 2015 Delorean, complete with real gullwing doors (maybe even red steelies with whitewalls, lol). Not that any of this will actually happen, but it was an amusing thought experiment...
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I really really want to go to Japan.

Last edited by michaelwfox; 07-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove a Legacy wagon on some of the coastal backroads outside of Nagasaki, and yeah, they really are that good.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Saw a WRB BRZ for the first time on the road yesterday.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Ouch, sorry to Rex_Harrison and to all then, I did not actually intend to come across as aggressive. RH asked if someone, and I took that to be anyone reading, had put their money where their mouth is and bought a car as described (low power, good handling etc.). I realised I'd done so twice (probably more than twice, but twice with reasonable recent examples anyway) so I responded. Then I didn't know if that was the point of the question (now I don't know if the question was even directed at me or nonspecific readers, but that's another story).

Anyway, sorry, just talking.
    Don't be sorry, you answered my question which was for everyone, I was just busy with other stuff so I didn't have a chance to respond. I don't know why I get so upset about this damn car, maybe it's the price for what it is idk. You have owned cars like this but were they your only cars at the time? Or did you have another car with speed at the same time? I guess its just impossible for me to imagine the BRZ being someones one and only car.

Im going to try and calm myself when it comes to this car. It's just a car right? People do have different tastes, that's for sure and I wouldn't want it any other way honestly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Tastes do differ. May all our problems only amount to this issue in life, that'd be great.

I've owned two different cars with less power than my Impreza, RWD, and no rear seat. I've done so at two different times. The first time, I initially did not own a couch. The second time I did not own a bed. I picked owning two slower impractical cars simultaneously instead.

Then again I've also eaten spaghetti every day endlessly to buy a wristwatch. I don't really care what time it is any more than I care to have more power from a car at this point. It's all (misplaced?) priorities...