The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 54
Page 54 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; oh my...

oh my

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    So let me ask you guys this, if when you bought your WRX's there was another version of the Impreza. Lets say it cost 1k more than your WRX, naturally aspirated, had 65 less hp, but it absolutely handled like a dream.

Would you still have bought the WRX? Because it seems like no one on this forum ever drives fast anyways ( even though 90% of your cars are tuned for more hp and torque)

im not going to lie i like to drive fast,so no i wouldn't have bought the other car with less hp,but i can still a appreciate a car with excellent handling,especially where i live, take a car built for handling over speed to a place close to me like the beartooh pass and you will have a blast regardless of it having less hp,with all the corners and twistys,imo wrx is better because it has awesome handling and good power and accelleration

but take the brz to a place where it was designed to handle like mountain roads with all the twists and turns or a track i am confident it would be a blast as well.they are both great cars

I Support ClubWRX
    To make the question a bit more relevant...if Subaru had had a 2700 pound sports car (meaning its power to weight ratio was actually higher than the stock, 3200ish lb. 2002 WRX that I bought) that had handled like a dream, I would have given it a close look, yes.

I may or may not have bought it..I already had 2 kids by that time, and practicality made 4 doors very appealing.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    So let me ask you guys this, if when you bought your WRX's there was another version of the Impreza. Lets say it cost 1k more than your WRX, naturally aspirated, had 65 less hp, but it absolutely handled like a dream.

Would you still have bought the WRX? Because it seems like no one on this forum ever drives fast anyways ( even though 90% of your cars are tuned for more hp and torque)
    I care about acceleration, velocity less so.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

This question is pointless. Again, you're comparing the BRZ to the WRX which Subaru came out and SPECIFICALLY said they did not produce this car to compete with the WRX. It seems that no matter what anyone does, they blindly compare it to the WRX. It's not the same car. You guys are so blind to the fact that speed isn't everything. A Porsche GT3 can keep up with the Ferrari 458 Italia (at least I think that's the model that they were comparing on top gear) and the Porsche had significantly less HPs
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    This question is pointless. Again, you're comparing the BRZ to the WRX which Subaru came out and SPECIFICALLY said they did not produce this car to compete with the WRX. It seems that no matter what anyone does, they blindly compare it to the WRX. It's not the same car. You guys are so blind to the fact that speed isn't everything. A Porsche GT3 can keep up with the Ferrari 458 Italia (at least I think that's the model that they were comparing on top gear) and the Porsche had significantly less HPs
    The question is not pointless and I'm not comparing anything to the wrx. I'm simply asking would any of you who state " hp isn't everything" and "A great handling car is just as fun as fast car " would've put your money where your mouth is and dropped 27k on a relatively slow car that handled great, instead of buying a car that is relatively quick and handles well enough ?

I Support ClubWRX
    The question is not pointless and I'm not comparing anything to the wrx. I'm simply asking would any of you who state " hp isn't everything" and "A great handling car is just as fun as fast car " would've put your money where your mouth is and dropped 27k on a relatively slow car that handled great, instead of buying a car that is relatively quick and handles well enough ?
    If the cars were the same size and class, and given equal reliability, I'd chose the one that's quicker. However if one is a three door and the other a four or five door then the cars are not the same class.

My daily driver has 100 HP less than my Impreza and is slower in every measurable way. It's also a far better car despite being RWD. If that meets the criteria for putting one's money where one's mouth is, I've bought two such cars but only one Impreza.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    Im just saying to the vast majority, speed is more fun than cornering ability. If you argue otherwise, would you actually put your money where your mouth is? Or are you just backing this car because it's a Subaru?

I Support ClubWRX
    Im just saying to the vast majority, speed is more fun than cornering ability. If you argue otherwise, would you actually put your money where your mouth is? Or are you just backing this car because it's a Subaru?
    I already have put my money where my mouth is, twice; see response above:

My daily driver has 100 HP less than my Impreza and is slower in every measurable way. It's also a far better car despite being RWD. If that meets the criteria for putting one's money where one's mouth is, I've bought two such cars but only one Impreza.

Those two small RWD cars are slower than a turbo Impreza, have less power than a turbo Impreza, have less room than a turbo Impreza, but are are better cars than the turbo Impreza because they get dynamics right, whereas no Subaru of which I am aware has managed to do so in the same manner.

Am I on the right track towards answering your question or are we talking across purposes though?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think perhaps it depends where you live and what kinds of roads you get to drive on, to a large extent. If you live somewhere where there aren't many twisty roads around you, or you never encounter them on your daily commute, then I can see how cornering ability would be low on the list of priorities when choosing a car.

Personally, I don't think there's anything challenging or rewarding in driving fast in a straight line. Anyone can do that. But the feeling of taking a corner on the racing line, pushing the limit of grip and balancing understeer/oversteer with the throttle leaves me, personally, feeling pretty satisfied. A great handling car (weight has a lot to do with it) enables you to enter, drive through and exit a corner with more speed, so sheer power becomes less important. It's also harder for the cops to give you a ticket for taking a corner too quickly - that's pretty subjective. Not like a radar gun.

However, about a month ago, I chose to buy a WRX instead of the BRZ. In the months leading up to my purchase, I was very excited about the BRZ and thought that might be what I ended up with. As more specs became available, I realized, sadly, that it just wasn't going to have a big enough trunk for my needs. The advantage over the WRX of better promised MPG also didn't seem likely when I saw the small torque figure. I'd guess you'd always have to be revving the engine to get any go from it.

But cornering ability is more important to me than sheer power, otherwise I'd just have bought a Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    ...otherwise I'd just have bought a Mustang.
    This should be the subtitle of our forum as of lately hahaha
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Am I correct in thinking that subaru finally put properly bolstered seats in one of their cars with the advent of the BRZ? If so, I wonder if we will be able to retro-fit them into our rexxes.

sent from my kindle conflagration
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

I Support ClubWRX
    I wonder if the seats have air bags.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Personally, I don't think there's anything challenging or rewarding in driving fast in a straight line. Anyone can do that. But the feeling of taking a corner on the racing line, pushing the limit of grip and balancing understeer/oversteer with the throttle leaves me, personally, feeling pretty satisfied. A great handling car (weight has a lot to do with it) enables you to enter, drive through and exit a corner with more speed, so sheer power becomes less important. It's also harder for the cops to give you a ticket for taking a corner too quickly - that's pretty subjective. Not like a radar gun.
    Very well put Sir.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.