The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 50
Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mangostick Oh.. and Mikey this one's for you bud hehehehehehe Man I would have **** myself if ...

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Oh.. and Mikey this one's for you bud

hehehehehehe

Man I would have **** myself if I was in the Marines and he was my Drill Sergeant.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Man I would have **** myself if I was in the Marines and he was my Drill Sergeant.
    I wouldn't, not since I saw him in Saving Silverman and he married Jack Black.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I BET A BRZ WOULDN'T DO THIS

2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

That mustang handled the impact pretty well.

I'm sure the brakes went out on it. The BRZ could have the accelerator pedal get stuck like Toyota's...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    I BET A BRZ WOULDN'T DO THIS
    Bahahahaha! The timing was perfect with all the other cars first, and the the Mustang coming in WAY too fast to that corner. Not to fan the fires too much, but I think the real problem was he couldn't turn right, still stuck in NASCAR mode...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Was that Doobis???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

He came in way too hot... There was no way in hell he was making that. Likely driver error in the way of
    ego far outweighing braking and cornering ability.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed. It's hardly the Mustang's fault the driver came into a sharp 90 at Mach 5, that's either gross inexperience or idiocy. The driver had that one coming. I hope they were ok.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Cool! Let fireside chats commence...
    So I drove it.. and Ray, we gotta talk man. A lot of that car I simply cannot put into words. Its no supercar, but for our kind of budget its major bang for the buck fun.
    If you've driven a 944/924 porsche or the older mg/mgb/spitfire cars and liked them... you will dig this car.

Its far less mechanical than the old sports cars, but it moves and feels like it should. What it does have is lots of road feel. I also dont think it needs a turbo. Its sneaky fast.. the throttle response was sort of backward from how my wrx felt when in factory trim. If you're gentle with it the car just zips along effortlessly through gears. Before you know it you're doing 80 that feels like 40. This is very much a car you could speed all day with your wife/GF in passenger seat and they'd have no Idea what you were up to.

I drove the FRS on a back woods windy road near Owings Md, where the roads are all lay of land style. Swoopy, hilly.. fun sort of roads.

It ate them up and left them behind without issue at all. Its very balanced fore/aft and l/r but isn't so planted that you cant play with it. The slight front weight bias is noticeable but only when pushed and actually it makes the car more predictable. Good example, I was doing 60 or so and was tooling along rolling with the windy road and having a blast. Coming downhill into a decreasing radius rather flat (no banking) right hander I took my foot off the accelerator and coasted in.. still hanging around 60 (30mph turn) the car also maintains its speed very well coasting in 4/5/6 gears. Anyhow, I came in kinda hot but still off throttle and just steered through the corner. The car had a very slight bit of roll on turn-in and as I kept turning as the radius decreased the nose kept course and rear started to slide a little.. minor correction on the wheel and I was back on throttle and out of the corner. It never flinched and neither did I. It IS that smooth. It doesn't lash back.. its very neutral and forgiving.

It is literally effortless to drive. The controls are simple and effective, the steering is tight and responsive but not in any way twitchy. The amount of steering assist is very minimal so the feedback is excellent. Chassis balance is just about perfect. I'm actually quite glad the car isn't a true 50/50 because that tends to take some personality from them. Makes the chassis numb.. this car is anything and lots of things but numb is not in its vocabulary.

There are dampening and slight spring rate differences between the FRS and BRZ to make the subaru a little less rear happy vs the scion. I didn't mind the rear being a little more lively because it really was so intuitive and predictable. Its a car that will communicate everything with you. I did drive it with the tc on (in sport mode) because I wanted to know what the car would be like in a every-day sort of scenario. Just the same I think I only had the car at wot a handful of times. The way its geared (4.11 rear) and the way the throttle response map is set, you really dont need to go wot to quicky motivate the car. I found that it was smoother and more pleasing to just caress it along vs waling on it like a stubborn mule.

Speaking of stubborn mule.. getting back into my wrx after drivin this car made me think the 3G wrx IS a over assisted wallowing little piggy with a ton of hp. It is very much a mule. There is no directly comparing these two cars.

Driving them back to back I'd have traded my wrx right there on the spot if a deal could have been struck. Following Rob down the same road I drove down for the test ride, my wrx with wider tires, slightly modded suspension and more grip was no where near as sure footed through the same turns. Even though I had a good 100hp on him I could not catch him.. if I did, we got into a corner and he'd walk away again.

There are negatives to the FRS/BRZ though.. very few, and negligible to most but there are still negatives.

-The tires imho .. suck. A stickier tire would have this car carving like its thanksgiving day everyday. The chassis is set up so well, I think they kept a harder tire to make it easier to slide it around.

-Braking feel.. While not bad by any standard this car would do well with some nicer pads/fluid and stainless lines. Its not squishy like the 3G wrx, and modulation was good but it could be better.

-Back seat really is useless even with a driver of 5'9" tall.. but that's any sport coupe in the class this car is in and well.. its only for insurance purposes anyway. lol I just needed a third con to level out my raving on how great the car is otherwise

Bottom line, I liked it. I liked it A LOT. I'm pretty solid now that a FRS will be my next payfor car after the wrx is paid off. Wont be for a few years and I'm hoping that insurance rates dont price me out of buying one.. but its a damn fine little car and has EVERYTHING that the mag's have raved about. I went into it skeptical but after that first set of S turns I was sold. Its a smooth, fun, precise little car. Another fun fact that Rob mentioned is that he gets over 30Mpg if he's not driving it like he stole it. For a fun daily driver, that's pretty solid I think.
    Last edited by mangostick; 06-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Reserved for pics.. whenever I get to upload them.. lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

You know I went in last week to get my oil changed at my local Subaru dealership. They had a BRZ sitting on the showroom floor. While waiting I went and took a look at it. I absolutely loved it. Looks so much better in person than in photos. I almost told them to not finish the STi and that I'd just drive the BRZ home. If I hadnt traded my 2.5i in for the STi I would definitely have traded it in for the BRZ
    Alex
    2005 STi
    1968 AMC AMX
    1964 Chevrolet Corvair
    Blobeye Syndicate #479

I felt kinda the same when I PDI'd a couple BRZ's at work. Handling was great and the car felt solid. The speed however was nothing to be desired. To me it felt like an Automatic 2.5i just waiting for the thing to make it to 7k. Give it at least another 50 hp or so then maybe I'd be interested. Until then for me the handling doesn't offset how slow it is.

Test drive2 - YouTube

I like the digital MPH inside the tach. Very cool.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like the first street crash happened (in an FR-S). Guy tried to drift through an intersection, and discovered what oversteer does.

Looks like the car was totalled, but both occupants were fine.

Wrecked FR-S Crash Already - Not Mine - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

and here we go. This is what will price the car out insurance wise. Idiots that dont know how to drive a rwd car properly, or think they're stars in tokyo drift..

fkn retards. All that's going to do is raise the insurance cost for the rest of us.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!