The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 5
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Weasel 555 never mentioned it needed to be awd to be fun , just in NY winter ...

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    never mentioned it needed to be awd to be fun , just in NY winter rwd isnt exactly steller so the car for me would be a gloryfied door stop !
    That's what good snow tires are for M8 lol... Besides this car is to compliment your sti.. not replace it

I think a couple years and I get a good chunk of the wrx paid off.. one of these I might have to drive and see about giving one a home. I love my awd, but I really do miss a good f/r platform.

Its that or I spend the same amount of money dumping a LS1 into a 2nd gen rx7 and going nuts with chassis prep and hp mods
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    never mentioned it needed to be awd to be fun , just in NY winter rwd isnt exactly steller so the car for me would be a gloryfied door stop !
    my thoughts exactly.I told my brother the same thing when he got a Carerra 4S last weekend.He hasn't been able to drive the car since.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i hear u , maybe in a few yrs when i could afford 2 cars ...altho i think scion and toyota offer better warranties etc than subaru ...and all the aftermarket companies modded parts and or dealer accessories that hopefully will be interchangeable like on the older classic thru hawkeye imprezas
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I guess if looks is all that matters, I suppose one might conclude that it's a winner, EXCEPT that Toyota's version looks better (in the front at least), so Subaru still loses in the end since no one will buy it but Subie fans and even they will be massively disappointed by Scion TC/Honda Civic SI power levels which sad to say are completely insufficient even for a 2002 WRX fan, let alone the 300HP variants ('09-'11 regular WRX included by way of the Dynos disputing Subaru's relaxed figures). So, do you want to look sexy or go to 60mph in under 5 seconds with AWD grip to boot? The BRZ would be lucky to get there in 6.5 seconds, probably closer to 7.

As-is, it's basically a 'modern RWD Miata' for the GTR wanna-be poser crowd. Thanks, but no thanks. Let me know when it has at least 400HP+ and can back up those looks with some go. Otherwise, it's just another 'ricer' vehicle letting kiddies think they can run with the big boys until they get passed like they're standing still by an actual GTR (sadly of which this is a direct copy-cat vehicle, looking like a near identical variation of it at a glance).
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post

As-is, it's basically a 'modern RWD Miata' for the GTR wanna-be poser crowd. Thanks, but no thanks. Let me know when it has at least 400HP+ and can back up those looks with some go. Otherwise, it's just another 'ricer' vehicle letting kiddies think they can run with the big boys until they get passed like they're standing still by an actual GTR (sadly of which this is a direct copy-cat vehicle, looking like a near identical variation of it at a glance).

That's pretty harsh. Expecting 400+ hp is unrealistic for a car priced in this range, and this lightweight. Besides, do you really think Toyota would sell a Scion with LFA power levels at a tenth the price? Now would a 300 hp STI version be nice? Absolutely, but don't expect it to come cheap.

Besides the Miata, the V6 Mustang, and maybe the Genesis, what is this competing with? The 370z is $10k more, and any German RWD coupe is a LOT more.

Honestly, I'm holding judgement on the drivetrain until I actually drive one. Looks at the Gen 1 Miata, it has like 98 hp stock, but it's a ton of fun. Sure, you'll be completely schooled on the dragstrip, but you'll wipe off their laughing chuckles on the AutoX track.

Sent from my Droid 2
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Honestly, I'm holding judgement on the drivetrain until I actually drive one. Looks at the Gen 1 Miata, it has like 98 hp stock, but it's a ton of fun. Sure, you'll be completely schooled on the dragstrip, but you'll wipe off their laughing chuckles on the AutoX track.
    Wisdom. My criteria for a sports car is "Is it fun to drive?"..a highly subjective measure. I like tossable, grippy cars with responsive engines that sound good. This car may make that grade, though I doubt I'll get around to buying one any time soon.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Wisdom. My criteria for a sports car is "Is it fun to drive?"..a highly subjective measure. I like tossable, grippy cars with responsive engines that sound good. This car may make that grade, though I doubt I'll get around to buying one any time soon.
    More Wisdumb.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Im with you. Until it has AWD and a turbo its not going to wow me. But I don't think they would make an STI version without a turbo
    I at least want a turbo
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Magnum, there is one thing you are missing. If it looks so much like the GTR to you, take a look at the old Supra's. I see a lot more of that design element in the car than the current GTR. The truth is most cars are at leats a partial rip off of each other. This car when you look at what data was released is designed to compete with things like RX-8's. The truth is that until the car comes out nobody knows what it will be capable of. 200hp is probably plenty for the tires and weight of the car. After it comes out we will see what can be done in regards to additional power and grip.

Truth be told I am looking forward to the car because it might be a great platform for SCCA events which would allow me to leave the WRX as a daily driver for the winter performance I wanted it for.

I'll be curious to see what the 2013 WRX looks like and if there's any basis what-so-ever in this BRZ platform or not. Supposedly Subaru didn't have the means to create its own new sports car design and yet we're told the next WRX will likely be a complete redesign 2-door coupe, which I find oddly coincidental. The BRZ platform may be a simple starting point to base the next AWD WRX around. I've seen some say it won't work, but I don't know enough about the suspension design to conclude it couldn't be modified from this new starting platform into something else over the next year, perhaps keeping much of the same looks, but offering a turbo/AWD variation on the chassis. I would certainly be more interested in this new 'look' if it were 300+HP and had AWD (RWD just doesn't work well in Ohio winters).
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Ut oh......People getting crazy in here
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it down a notch Mango/Magnum.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Magnum,

The reports I read about AWD coming to the BRZ is that the engine was moved too low and rearward for any current Subaru AWD platform. Not to say they can't cook up an entirely new AWD drivetran, but the current symmetrical AWD design that is a hallmark Subaru feature cannot be easily onto the BRZ.

Of course, all the the statements I just made (and many of the arguements all over this thread) are about a car that doesn't really exist yet, so like I said, I will reserve judgement until I can get behind the wheel and give one a good shakedown.

After said shakedown, I'll probably still buy an STI...

Sent from my Droid 2
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Yeah, it's a REAL pig alright. It's such a big pig that it kept up with a BMW M3 on the race track and does a real slow 4.4 seconds to 60 (compared to an STI doing 4.9 seconds).

The curb weight on a Nissan GTR is around 3800 lbs. I guess it must be a REAL PIG since it weighs more with a V6 than a Mustang GT does with a V8! Oh wait. 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. HELLO!
    I wouldn't own either. Magazine 0-60 numbers have little to do with my car selection at this point.
    I have driven the new Mustang, though not the high horsepower variety. It may be only 3500 lbs, but it feels heavy to me, even compared to my humble wagon. That's a deal-breaker for many people when they are selecting a sports car. Kudos to Ford for building a nicely engineered, modern Mustang, though!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I think they are spreading rumors about this car having no AWD and no Turbo to get everyone all crazed up. I hear everyone saying, "If it was AWD and Turbo'd I get it" So...when it actually comes out...its gonna be AWD and Turbo'd and everyone is gonna be like.... and go buy one. Either way...I'm not interested....I just want to fix my 06 Wrx lol.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide