The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 43
Page 43 of 73 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First one is in.Saw it at my dealer today.Looks fantastic...

I Support ClubWRX
    First one is in.Saw it at my dealer today.Looks fantastic

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's so pretty
    I want to fill my parking spot with WRX Why won't Subaru let me?!

Photo Nerd #42/dowehaveaclubforthis?

Got a ride in a FRS yesterday afternoon.. all I can say is "HOLY BALANCE BATMAN!" .. and this was from a passenger seat point of view.

Its exactly what I thought and hoped it would feel like. Almost zero body transition (f/r or l/r) but not stiff, it felt very planted. Super smooth turn in even on 215 tires. Since the car was still in dealer detailed trim with full tire shine treatment.. (how they get that crap everywhere still amazes me) it was easy to see that again even on narrow tires with taller sidewalls that it wasn't rolling onto the sidewall at all and even then wasn't even getting to the edge of the tread. This was on all 4 wheels after some pretty interesting cornering. (50+ into 35mph bends was pretty much effortless) This is what proper suspension geometry, cg and roll center placement do for a sports car.

It accelerated smoothly and even though the numbers say its slow it really didn't feel all that slow. No rocket, but no slouch either.

And again, proves that raw paper numbers dont mean diddly effin squat in the real world.

Now, I did not get to drive but with only 23 mi on the car I can certainly understand why Josh would be hestant. I'll get to drive one this coming weekend at the oc meet. A buddy of mine in Anapolis has snapped up a black FRS and has already stated that if I dont give it hell he's going to give me hell lol.

So far my friends seem to be snapping these cars up quickly. Rob (Anapolis) is a big porsche guy and his position on the car was that it performed on a level far above its price range.

after seeing both in person now I'm also starting to like the FRS's more bare look and feel vs the BRZ's luxury appointments. Dunno.. either way they've built a fine car.
    Last edited by mangostick; 06-04-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

If I could afford either car, I wouldn't be searching so hard and debating in my mind about what vehicle to buy. The war with my mind would be over and I would be buying one of those things. I don't care if I have to do a hand stand to get in and out of it every day. They're too pretty, and they drive too well, to find fault with.

I Support ClubWRX
    You're coming to CF, right Shawn? I'd like to talk to you in person about your impressions of the car.
    My current thinking is that, about a year down the road, I may get rid of the Rayngar, keep the wagon as my DD/family vehicle, and get a used Cayman S or 911, assuming I find one that drives the way I want. The BRZ could become a possible contender in that slot..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I spent an hour looking over a BRZ yesterday.

I did not now that it gets 35mpg highway. It also has HIDs with levelling & NAV.Rear seats are very Porsche-esque,i.e.,non existent. Front seats are very nice.

Last edited by rage-wrx; 06-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You're coming to CF, right Shawn? I'd like to talk to you in person about your impressions of the car.
    My current thinking is that, about a year down the road, I may get rid of the Rayngar, keep the wagon as my DD/family vehicle, and get a used Cayman S or 911, assuming I find one that drives the way I want. The BRZ could become a possible contender in that slot..
    In terms of swapping the BRZ for the Cayman, I really do think it's a valid contender. You're looking at a brand new car vs. one with 50k miles on it. The cayman will probably handle slightly better, but you can actually afford to work on the BRZ / FRS.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, that's on my mind. Plus...I'm less likely to have to work on it.
    I need to drive both before I do anything. The Cayman S, even the old ones, make nearly 100 more hp, and, having a midengine setup, may "feel" very different to a driver in transition, etc.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I spoke with some techs at my local Subaru dealer who all test drove it and said it was an absolute "dog". One actually said he thought the Impreza may be quicker. I think Subaru really messed this one up by not at least putting a turbo in it. I guess you could define it as "tuner ready" but even that is a bit of a stretch. At least it looks good.

I really can't imagine that an impreza is faster - did the guy try going around a turn? It really, truly never was intended to be fast in a straight line. I can't imagine that was even an objective. If someone test drives this car without tossing it into a couple of turns, or at least taking it through a round-about, I think they would find it extremely disappointing.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 434WHP View Post
    I spoke with some techs at my local Subaru dealer who all test drove it and said it was an absolute "dog". One actually said he thought the Impreza may be quicker. I think Subaru really messed this one up by not at least putting a turbo in it. I guess you could define it as "tuner ready" but even that is a bit of a stretch. At least it looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    I really can't imagine that an impreza is faster - did the guy try going around a turn? It really, truly never was intended to be fast in a straight line. I can't imagine that was even an objective. If someone test drives this car without tossing it into a couple of turns, or at least taking it through a round-about, I think they would find it extremely disappointing.
    This^^

Sorry but I'm glad that the car doesn't have a ton of horsepower. It really goes to show that a small car doesn't need 300+ hp to be a sportscar. The way the car will put the power to the ground helps to bolster its balanced nature. At 2700 lbs, 300hp may be difficult to keep traction on such a small car and be much less drive-able for the masses. Let the 600whp crowd have their 600whp cars. I'm glad the BRZ isn't one of them.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    LOL the Atom500 is insane!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

hah for sure. Get that or the caterham R500 if you want a tiny car with loads of HP. IMO, the Toyobaru is perfect - not too fast, not too slow, and perfectly balanced. What more could you ask?

And if it's not fast enough, I'm sure someone will come up with something to stick on there and make it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    hah for sure. Get that or the caterham R500 if you want a tiny car with loads of HP. IMO, the Toyobaru is perfect - not too fast, not too slow, and perfectly balanced. What more could you ask?

And if it's not fast enough, I'm sure someone will come up with something to stick on there and make it faster.
    I wuold love to have/build a caterham. Although I would be sure to put a small windshield on it, ha! I saw one driving the other day, and I never realized just how small they were.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"