The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! - Page 3
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; No AWD, no Turbo or Supercharger......im out...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    No AWD, no Turbo or Supercharger......im out
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    HP isn't always what people are looking for in a sports car, most people looking for a small sports care are looking for quick handling rather than straight line speed. Take the Miata for instance, the 'speed MX5 didn't even produce 200 BHP, but it's still very nimble and quick. The S2000 made 230 BHP, and 175 lb/ft torque (thanks to a VERY high revving engine) and was quite popular, even with it's rather high price tag. 200 HP in that small of a car will be just fine, but Subaru needs to make sure it handles well.

If Subaru can balance the power and handling properly and keep the price down to affordable, and justifiable, levels I think the car will do quite well.
    While I see your point I always look at it this way. No non turbo subaru's are no fun to drive power wise. Out of all of them made my car stock was probably the closest thing to fun you could have weighing 2850 lbs and short 4.11 gearing. Well just look at me now.....you can't really say that more hp isn't fun, just look at the smile on my face as I drive my car....ear to ear baby. lol

For me at least I see this new "sports car" to kind of take subaru where it's never been before. We obviously know where they started and really made themselves a solid name as far as the wrx's go. Now they are venturing into places they've never been before, a rwd sports coupe. I see them going with a low hp range trying to compete with these cars that already have a very solid name for what they are. Bump up the hp and put yourself into your own market like when they originally brought out the wrx and started this stock turbo'd 4 banger craze again.

Look at the production date. Spring 2012. That means it's likely going to be a 2013 model. That's the year the next-gen "WRX coupe" is supposed to debut. I'm guessing the the "BRZ" and the next-gen WRX are more or less one and the same base platform. Throw in an alternate AWD version and a possible turbo option and you have a possible next-gen WRX/STI. The renderings certainly look at least a little similar to the art drawings of the possible next WRX. That's just too much coincidence to dismiss, IMO. The renderings actually look pretty nice, better than the current WRX, IMO, although not dissimilar from a Nissan GTR, which could be what Subaru is eventually going to take aim at, at least on the low to mid-end.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Latest and greatest spy shots....

Click: autoblog.com/2011/09/06/latest-subaru-brz-prototype-comes-into-view/

also check out all the E30 M3's in the background
    Gallery: autoblog.com/photos/subaru-brz-prototype-spy-shots/

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Look at the production date. Spring 2012. That means it's likely going to be a 2013 model. That's the year the next-gen "WRX coupe" is supposed to debut. I'm guessing the the "BRZ" and the next-gen WRX are more or less one and the same base platform. Throw in an alternate AWD version and a possible turbo option and you have a possible next-gen WRX/STI. The renderings certainly look at least a little similar to the art drawings of the possible next WRX. That's just too much coincidence to dismiss, IMO. The renderings actually look pretty nice, better than the current WRX, IMO, although not dissimilar from a Nissan GTR, which could be what Subaru is eventually going to take aim at, at least on the low to mid-end.
    AWD wont happen in this new coupe layout. The engine/trans is too far rearward to make that happen. This one is going to be RWD only, just as a true sports coupe should be. I think they're after the 350z market. I'm just hoping they at least offer a turbo version otherwise they're neutering it before it even gets to fruition.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I just find it odd that Subaru would break their all AWD niche just to go after the 350z when the WRX is usually already considered in that situation (i.e. plenty of people on here tried the 350z before buying a WRX) and a 2-door coupe version of the WRX would be competing more or less against the BRZ (or at least cannibalizing sales in one direction or the other). I figured Subaru was looking for something else in this collaboration with Toyota and their car would split off in another direction at some stage. I agree a BRZ without a turbo is pointless at least with that size engine. It would be competing more against a regular Scion TC (other than RWD) than the 350z in terms of power.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    I've never considered the WRX and 350/370Z to be competitors. Very different animals in terms of focus, utility, driveline, engine design, interior considerations, etc.

Subaru may be trying to create its own niche, rather than doing a "Me, too!" It's been done before.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I've never considered the WRX and 350/370Z to be competitors. Very different animals in terms of focus, utility, driveline, engine design, interior considerations, etc.

Subaru may be trying to create its own niche, rather than doing a "Me, too!" It's been done before.
    Yeah the wrx and 350/370Z aren't even in the same class/type of vehicle even though the same demographic tends to buy them.

Its possible they're after that spot Ray.. but this far into the age of the automobile you have to really do something different to shake it up like that and completely create something new. I'm also hoping that it doesn't end up priced out of its demographic like the Supra and RX7 and end up d-cont because no one will pay for one.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Looks a little like the Infiniti G37 coupe. Don't really like it at the moment. I will wait until real pics are released though for final judgement.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Hello,

Given that there ends up being an STI version of most of the Subie lines , can't we expect one from this as well. Im sure it will happen , but living in colorado I don't think I could ever leave an awd platform

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess we'll just wait and see
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by inf3cti0n View Post
    Given that there ends up being an STI version of most of the Subie lines , can't we expect one from this as well
    In the U.S., we have an STI designation for only one product line, the Impreza. If what you're saying is that they add a turbocharger to many of their lineups, than perhaps so.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool Subaru BRZ: new tech details

The new Subaru BRZ coupé will have the lowest centre of gravity of any production car when it goes on sale next summer, according to the manufacturer.

The BRZ’s rear-wheel-drive configuration has meant that Subaru's compact 2.0-litre Boxer engine can be mounted even lower in the chassis than would normally be permissible in the manufacturer's conventional four-wheel-drive layout.

Despite being co-developed with Toyota, the vast majority of the engineering work has been undertaken by Subaru; although the company has confirmed that the BRZ's flat-four unit will incorporate a Toyota direct fuel-injection system.

Power outputs, however, will differ with a Subaru-spec ECU liberating the BRZ’s power to “less than 300bhp,” compared with the FT-86’s 200bhp figure.

Details of the car’s final spec remain under wraps - even Subaru's UK new MD admitted to Autocar that he'd only seen a clay model of the finished product - but insiders suggest that the grille and bumpers will differentiate the RBZ from its Toyota-badged sibling.

A roadster version could yet play a part in future model plans, but a topless car is ‘under consideration’ rather than developmental reality.

Subaru insists that no costing strategy has been established, but with the Volkswagen Scirocco confirmed as the main rival, expect the RBZ’s price tag to land somewhere in the current coupé ballpark.

The lack of a final figure - or even an image of the production car - has apparently not dissuaded Subaru fans from already registering their interest with the company's dealership network.

While the new 2+2 coupé is expected to fill a healthy new niche for the manufacturer, Subaru UK has made it clear that it intends to focus much of its energy on 'lifestyle' products, such as the new XV crossover, as it looks to achieve a sales target of 7500 units in 2012.

The Subaru BRZ will be unveiled at the Tokyo show next month.

Click: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/259739/

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Exclamation Production Toyota FT-86 / Scion FR-S REVEALED in magazine images

leaks: http://www.ft86club.com/?p=652

Brochure scans from a Modellista catalog. Modellista is Toyota's in house tuner. Subaru BR-Z shouldn't be far off from this since the front bumper and rear design is supposed to differ just slightly.

It has a lot of similarities to the 350/370z ... lets see what the scoobie version looks like.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!