New York 2011: Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on New York 2011: Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet" within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Another auto show, another version of Toyota and Subaru's joint partnership rear-wheel-drive sports car. We saw Toyota's FT-86 II concept ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool New York 2011: Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"

Another auto show, another version of Toyota and Subaru's joint partnership rear-wheel-drive sports car. We saw Toyota's FT-86 II concept in Geneva earlier this year, along with the chassis for Subaru's version of the car. Now here in New York, Scion has taken the wraps off of its FR-S, a sexy little number that rides on this same platform.

FR-S, which stands for "front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport," (or "friggin' really sweet," according to Jack Hollis, Scion's vice president) is the automaker's homage to the infamous AE-86 Corolla a car that was highly praised for its lightweight body and superb balance without having to churn out a ton of power. Under the hood is a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Boxer flat-four mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The FT-S rides on sharp 20-inch wheels, hiding an absolutely monstrous set of 18-inch carbon ceramic brake rotors that are fixed to the wheels like a motorcycle. Don't count on those making production...

Hollis says that the FR-S' design is inspired by the legendary Toyota 2000GT, and we can even see a bit of Lexus LF-A in the angular shapes that blend with sleek curves. This is one hot concept, and we're told that it previews a new addition to the Scion family coming in 2012. (Yeah, we know.)

Enough with the drooling. Just give us the production car.

Click: autoblog.com/2011/04/20/new-york-2011-scion-fr-s-concept-is-friggin-really-sweet/

.... ...
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks pretty cool, kind of like a Pontiac Solstice.

And yeah carbon ceramic brakes are never making it to production. WAY too expensive for anything like that.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Under the hood is a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Boxer flat-four mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.
    2.0 with no boost? A sheep in wolf's clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    The FT-S rides on sharp 20-inch wheels, hiding an absolutely monstrous set of 18-inch carbon ceramic brake rotors that are fixed to the wheels like a motorcycle. Don't count on those making production...
    Good, they are hideous.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    High revving 2.0L NA maybe? If it had at least 200hp and was light it would be fine by me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Power to weight might be pretty good if they do kiss the 200hp mark, and keep the weight somewhat under 3000 lbs.; could be a great little sportscar. The only downer is that I've gotten really accustomed to the powerband of FI sports sedans/cars. It's nice to know that there's something exciting about to happen when you pass a certain rpm.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    2.0L NA = low torque. It might be something like the last Celica. Yawn.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    looks like a cracked out 370z. meh. lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    It is the best looking version of this (alleged? vaporware?) platform so far. The wheels are disastrous but Subaru have done just as bad with the wheels on that SUV concept the other day. The motor sounds fine IMO; 2.0L normally aspirated is a very large motor anywhere except the US. The nose is busy but I'm betting if/when they produce, they'll give it a less complicated, more corporate nose.

Toyota are taking a chance using Subaru's motor IMO, as it does not match their own for performance or reliability.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

From Nose to A-pillar= MR-2
    From A-pillar to C-pillar= Scion TC
    From C-pillar to bumper= LF-A

Im interested to see what production churns out...
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    It did remind me of an MR2, yes! Both my MR2s have been red.

If Toyota had followed the correct layout (MR2 is correct, Scion TC, Subaru Impreza are incorrect) they would not need to use a boxer motor -- meaning they would not need to use a Subaru motor and they could still have a nice, low nose line anyway.

The article talks about the AE-86 Corolla being praised for... its superb balance. By whom?! This is at best lighthearted nostalgia, at worst revisionist history. The AE-86 seemed to have had two different sets of people decide on dampers and spring rates, and these people never seemed to have met one another. The steering was OK, but the suspension was typical Japanese 80s whatever-fits-is-fine and their choice of Yokohamas at the time was laughable. What saved the Corolla was the motor! That 1.6L was a real diamond and years ahead of its time.

Toyota agreed. That's why they used the same motor in a car that actually did have balance - the MR2. This whole "Corolla" thing is some sort of cartoon-inspired fantasy. The car was a poor chassis with a great motor. Nothing more.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The article talks about the AE-86 Corolla being praised for... its superb balance. By whom?!
    Initial D

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This whole "Corolla" thing is some sort of cartoon-inspired fantasy.
    Did I mention Initial D? haha
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I dig it... love the lines.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Hoping to have the power to back up the sporty looks or else it would be the biggest Poser car kinda like Celica and eclipse.
    wrx with a carseat

I Support ClubWRX
    Both those cars had ample power though, and in fact the Celica was the car that allowed a Japanese maker to actually win a WRC title. A 2.0L motor in any form should be more than enough power IMO. In fact, if the car is to sell around the world, it will almost certainly need a 1.6L or a 1.8L motor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson View Post
    Hoping to have the power to back up the sporty looks or else it would be the biggest Poser car kinda like Celica and eclipse.
    I agree. 2.0L naturally-aspirated seemed a little questionable in power. Although Rwd set-up which gives us a little hope and says it's light, so we'll see, makes me think of a Miata?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.