Ford finally gets serious with the Mustang
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ford finally gets serious with the Mustang within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The future 2011 Mustang V6 will have a 305 hp, 3.7L V6 to better compete with the Camaro V6 and ...

Ford finally gets serious with the Mustang

The future 2011 Mustang V6 will have a 305 hp, 3.7L V6 to better compete with the Camaro V6 and the Genesis V6.

I know what you're thinking: What about the Mustang GT? It'll be a 5.0L V8 with over 400 hp.

It's about time. Now the weaksauce V6 stang actually has some decent power

From C&D
    2011 Ford Mustang V6 - Official Photos and Info - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Wanna see a Ford guy wince? Call the Mustang V-6 a “secretary’s car.” This used to be a reliably fun way to annoy our hosts (or get a beer poured down our backs) at Mustang events, primarily because it was true: with its wheezy, old 4.0-liter V-6 putting out a wimpy-for-a-muscle-car 210 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque, the base ‘Stang couldn’t outrun a Honda Accord V-6. But it seems that our last jab has been made, now that Ford has announced that its 2011 Mustang V-6 will have its power juiced up by some 45 percent to 305 hp, with torque rising 40 lb-ft to 280.

All-New V-6: More Power, Higher MPG

The new, all-aluminum six-pot displaces 3.7 liters, with its signature feature being Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing), which Ford says allows for extremely precise overlap times during which both intake and exhaust valves are open. Simply stated, this allows the engine to operate optimally for hard-charging acceleration—a handy trait for pony cars—but then become more focused on fuel economy during low-load situations. Redline is now a nice, high 7000 rpm. Also helping in both performance and fuel-economy respects are newly fitted manual and automatic transmissions, both with six forward speeds.

Thanks to a frugal 2.73:1 rear axle ratio and tall top gears in both transmissions, fuel economy soars to an impressive 19 mpg in the city and a whopping 30 on the highway for the automatic—besting the segment’s current mileage braggart, the 304-hp Chevrolet Camaro V-6 and its still-impressive 29 highway mpg; fuel economy drops by one mpg to 18/29 for the manual-equipped Mustang V-6. Ford says that it has kept curb weight under 3500 pounds for the coupe, with the engine being 40 pounds lighter than the 4.0-liter it replaces, although the dual-exhaust system adds a few pounds back in (the current Mustang V-6 manual weighs in at 3421 pounds). Also noteworthy are larger brake discs, which have been upgraded to 11.5 inches in front and 11.8 in back, as well as retuned spring and damper rates. The steering components have been replaced by a new electrically assisted system, which offers gains in terms of efficiency but often results in a loss of road feel. Ford claims that the electric system will offer great feel and include tricks like road-crown correction. But we’ll have to see how all these “enhancements” change the overall character of the car.

More Competitive, Especially With New V-6 Performance Package

One thing is for sure: The old model left a lot of room for improvement. Ford made no mention of how much it figures acceleration times will improve, but as a point of reference, the last Mustang V-6 we tested, equipped with a five-speed manual transmission, hit 60 mph in a ho-hum (for a sporting car, anyway) 6.6 seconds. The comparatively porky 3807-pound Camaro V-6 can hit 60 in 5.9 seconds, while the 3492-pound Hyundai Genesis V-6 coupe is capable of doing the same trick in an even more impressive 5.5 ticks of the stopwatch. We would fire ourselves if we couldn’t get 0–60 times down into the mid-fives.

Indeed, we may be looking at a real class-beater if the Mustang V-6 in question is equipped with the newly available Performance Package, which comes with 19-inch wheels and Pirelli tires, a strut-tower brace, Mustang GT-sourced suspension and brake components, and a more responsive 3.31:1 rear axle ratio. On Mustangs thus equipped, the stability control features a “Sport” setting in which thresholds are upped for more tail-out shenanigans before shutting the party slide down.

Of course, the elephant in the room is the fact that with 305 hp, the new Mustang V-6 is within just 10 hp of the 4.6-liter V-8 that powers the current Mustang GT. How on earth will that play out, you ask? Well, those two engines may actually never be sold side by side, since we expect a commensurately enhanced 2011 Mustang GT to enter the scene around the same time as the new V-6 hits the market late next summer, rumored to be powered by Ford’s new “Coyote” V-8 displacing a nice round 5.0 liters and producing somewhere north of 400 hp. That should help maintain some distance between the two models.

Carryover Styling, Carryover Pricing?

Alas, come late summer, how will you be able to tell which Mustang V-6 is equipped with the new muscle mill and which one you can take down with your Acura TSX V-6? Look for a mildly refreshed front fascia (with darkened grille trim), tire “spats” on the rear wheels, and a new rear decklid seal. Otherwise, it’s identical. Good luck.

We don’t yet know how much Ford will ask for the 2011 Mustang, but what seems clear is that for the next Secretary Special, we’ll have to wait until Ford drops an EcoBoost four-banger into the Mustang’s long nose, which we expect to happen relatively soon after the V-6 goes on sale late next summer. Then again, if that engine turns out to be half as good as Ford’s EcoBoost V-6, we may just have to go back to making fun of Ford U.S. boss Mark Fields’s mullet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    When they say GT-sourced suspension potentially -- does the GT have independent rear suspension?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Kinda old news, sorry.
    Ford released this info a month or two ago.
    And the GT's 5.0 liter info nearly a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
    Kinda old news, sorry.
    Ford released this info a month or two ago.
    And the GT's 5.0 liter info nearly a year ago.
    odd, considering both C&D and Motortrend came out with the news just a couple days ago lol

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    When they say GT-sourced suspension potentially -- does the GT have independent rear suspension?
    I don't think so. Don't quote me on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    odd, considering both C&D and Motortrend came out with the news just a couple days ago lol
    Sorry but do you really think Car and Driver and Motor Trend are the first people to break this info.?

Keep in mind, those magazines, which I get too, might of just came out, but the dead lines for the publications were weeks and weeks ago.
    Google search Ford Coyote engine.
    You'll see the info was released a long time ago (late last year).
    I think I even posted about it on this site before I got my WRX in mid September.
    Also, it was pretty common knowledge the ancient 4.0 V6 was being replaced.

Google Ford's 3.7 liter V6 and you'll see the information from MONTHS ago.

Here's one from June 2009
    2011 Ford Mustang to get high-revving 3.7L V6 - egmCarTech

Sorry, I know you want to feel like you are breaking the news to people about stuff, but the Mustang engines for 2011 are nothing new.
    Last edited by Driver72; 12-03-2009 at 08:08 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The suspension part, if true, is disappointing I suppose. It's an anachronism frankly.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The suspension part, if true, is disappointing I suppose. It's an anachronism frankly.

I sat in the 2011 V6 Mustang at the Press Day today at the LA Auto Show.
    I did not look to see if it had an IRS though.
    They did not have the 2011 V8 Mustang there though, Ford is saving that for a different time to debut it.

I Support ClubWRX
    What did you think of the interior?

What did you think of the interior?
    Seemed just like the 2010 model.
    I am no expert in the Mustang's interior, but did check out the 2010 Mustang and GT500 at last years show, and again this year, so if they made interior changes for 2011, they were minor.
    I still hate the way the speedo and tach are so far apart and that the tach's high rpm side is covered by the steering wheel in normal driving.
    At least for people my height, you need to move your head to the left in order to see the tach above 5000 rpms unless you like the steering wheel way high up too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Independent rear suspension is a misnomer. The rear & axles are considered a drivetrain component. They most likely are referring to spring rates, dampening force, and sway bar stiffness.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    OK so my question still stands. One poster said his Boss is lacking in that it has a solid rear; this (truth) implies that the new Mustang will have an IRS. Yet there are many more posts about the windows and the tail lamps.

So have they modernized the chassis? Even Bristol used double wishbones this century.

I think it looks great. The side body lines look WAAAAAAAY too much like a 350z though.

If they go IRS, it could become a game changer for the Mushtang.

6-pot front brakes??? Yes please!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

The spyshots showed it was IRS.
    * By It I mean a test mule with IRS. if that's production is another story.

I wonder if they'll have a smaller displacement turbo option.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.