Chris is dumb

This is a discussion on Chris is dumb within the Mountain States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Wow, I feel stupid. I was driving home today, and tried to turn on my A/C. The little light went ...

Chris is dumb

Wow, I feel stupid.

I was driving home today, and tried to turn on my A/C. The little light went on, but the air stayed warm. After fiddling with a few things, I concluded that the system must be empty (not likely since it worked correctly a month or so ago) or there was a fuse or something wrong.

So I park in my garage, pop the hood, and notice.....the STi intercooler that I installed a few months ago has butted up against the A/C line, and worn a hole clear through the aluminum line from rubbing up against it. (Please, spare the laughter and/or flaming) The system is completely dry.

So, my question is, can I patch the line with some sort of JB Weld-type material (or some other metal-emulating liquid), or do I have to replace the whole line?

I realize that later, I'm going to have to put some sort of buffer (rubber or something) between the IC and the A/C line. That's no problem, and I can take care of that. Can anyone help me with the problem more at hand?

Thanks,
    DumbAssRacing
    Secretary of Silly Sports and Champion of WRB, Grand Republic of the Zem Dictatorship, 7/6/04

I would lick parts of you for a chai. - Zem in an email
    The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance... logic can be happily tossed out the window. - Stephen King
    Usually the team that scores the most points is going to win - John Madden

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Zem
    You want to put a little piece of hose around the AC line there so the intercooler doesn't do that..... errr.....
    Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.
    -John Adams

Well, right, but what do I do about the hole in my A/C line? The rubber hose won't prevent the pressurized refrigerant from escaping...
    Secretary of Silly Sports and Champion of WRB, Grand Republic of the Zem Dictatorship, 7/6/04

I would lick parts of you for a chai. - Zem in an email
    The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance... logic can be happily tossed out the window. - Stephen King
    Usually the team that scores the most points is going to win - John Madden

Hole in the hose, eh? So uh...replace it. Don't see why that's such an issue. Bahahaha...

Re: Chris is dumb

[QUOTE]
    So, my question is, can I patch the line with some sort of JB Weld-type material (or some other metal-emulating liquid), or do I have to replace the whole line?

chances are that u probbaly have to replace the whole line. the refrigerant is under pressure and i don't think its is a good idea to patch the line. you might call around to some junkyard to see if they have any. maybe some of the older subaru use the same line. depending on the size of the hole, i guess if you wanna roll the dice and try the welding material, you can put a rubber hose over the area after u bonded and tighten it really tight with a hose clamp to keep pressure on it. that way it can be protected from the intercooler also. i think that might work but not sure.. some ideas i guess

Maybe you can find someone around here that took out there A/C to remove weight. They may be willing to sell you the line cheaper than the dealer would.
    2002 Impreza 2.5RS

Definately use a proper A/C line.... A/C refrigerant is a pretty amazing solvent and incredibly toxic.

air conditioners are for sissies

FTW
    **** politics, **** religion, dance with a chainsaw!

We're taking on water and about to ****in' sink No one seems to notice, No one even blinks

my buddy located a wrecked sedan that is being parted out for me to take the fenders and bumper off so I am sure that line would still be ok. When I get more info I will find out for you.
    --Silver Wagon Club--

Originally posted by MileHighWRX
    my buddy located a wrecked sedan that is being parted out for me to take the fenders and bumper off so I am sure that line would still be ok. When I get more info I will find out for you.
    OT- Oh oh! I need a cross member from a WRX. Will that be available?-OT

Anyway, sorry to hear about that, but I would replace the whole line.

-Ryan
    Thanks!

install the samco ac hose. its good for 5 whp.