Colorado Catalytic Converter Laws - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Colorado Catalytic Converter Laws within the Mountain States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Everything you said is very true....

Everything you said is very true.
    Kids on the way... =
    FOR SALE: '04 Vishnu Stage 1 Kit, Includes:

'04 Reflashed ECU Tuned for Denver Altitude by Shiv - $BEST OFFER + your Stock ECU
    Vishnu Turbo Back, Single Tip - $950
    Vishnu 321 Flex Up-Pipe - $250
    Vishnu Main Power Pulley with Belts - $120
    Vishnu Silicon Hose Kit - $95

PM me for best response please!
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok, the consensus is in. Everyone at my department seems to feel that the Colorado Law is very poorly written (imagine that). This refers to "...except to repair or replace a part or all of the system." The question arises, "Does it have to be OEM?" Nobody knows.

Therefor my best GUESS is that if the system was being replaced with components that did not raise the emissions, one would be ok. HOWEVER - this is just my opinion! I can not find anyone who can give me a definitive answer to this question. Also, don't forget the good old EPA law that is stiffer than the Colorado law. If someone wanted to they could really get nasty.

Sorry this doesn't clear things up any. I'm going to court the first part of March and I'll ask the DA what they think.
    Kids on the way... =

'04 Reflashed ECU Tuned for Denver Altitude by Shiv - $BEST OFFER + your Stock ECU

Matt

law dawg... thanks a bunch for looking into all this. its great to have a source like yourself to help us better understand some of the problems we may or may not run into in the future as a result of our toys.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

No problem. I'll try to get to the bottom of this one. It's driving me crazy!
    Kids on the way... =

Matt

Check with SEMA

You should probably check with SEMA, they have all this pretty well figured out as they actively contest laws that impact after market manufactures.

If the after market manufacture sells the component as an approved "street legal" item it would be considered "substantially similar" and a legal replacement as I understand it. The EPA prohibits replacement of a cat until I believe it is 50,000 miles old or "defective" --- drat hate it when I accidently punch a hole in my stock cat, when it falls off the jack while working on the car --- hit road debris --- thought it was bad exhaust smelled funny -- etc.

There are so many legitimate reasons to replace a cat prior to 50,000 miles it is basically unenforcable.

The EPA also does not have the enforcement resources to go after private parties. They can and will go after shops that install them so that is a concern to the vendors.

On the same token I suspect a Federal judge would not be very amused if the EPA started loading up the Federal court system with private party catalytic converter cases, and would make life very ugly for the prosecution.

It is in the same class as prohibition in the 1920's there are so many folks who are in technical violation for one reason or another, that practically evey car out there is illegal under the letter of the emissions law. That I think is one of the reasons Colorado is moving toward a "performance based system" with the rapid screen. If you can pass the rapid screen your legal and they don't much care how you did it.

Larry
    Last edited by hotrod; 02-22-2004 at 07:07 PM.
    13.239@102.85 -- 5800 ft altitude
    on the stock TD04L-13T turbo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12