E85
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on E85 within the Mountain States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Has anyone done the conversion yet? If so, was it worth it?...

I Support ClubWRX

E85

Has anyone done the conversion yet? If so, was it worth it?
    "If ladders could talk, that one would have definately yelled 'I SURRENDER!'"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is your wrx / sti and what are your current mods? Knowing this will help a lot.

that's a hard question to answer.

there is the cost of the upgrades to consider. you will pay less at the pump, but will have to fill up more often. it's safer to use and you get more power.

for me, i did it, and am happy. i didn't really feel the extra power, but notice the lack of power when i switch back to 93oct. i also get e85 for almost a $1 less a gallon than 93, so i'm happy.

if you do switch, i would suggest getting a tune for e85, and your local premium gas. you neve know when you will need to fill up but not be able to find e85. this will be easier to do if you have a cobb ap already.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good words from shadow there.

Normally e85 tunes do pack a good bit of extra torque and allow you to run much closer to optimal timing without any detonation.

You'll use about thirty percent more fuel per injection as a rough estimate. So you'll need some fuel system upgrades to support that normally. I'd say some injectors and pump at least pending your modifications.

I'd like to switch over sometime. Not too many pumps around here though so I am hesitant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks. I have an '11 WRX. Completely stock as of right now minus the nipple in my wastegate line being removed (helped with turbo lag). I'm in Springs now and am getting ready to move to Columbus GA. I'm wanting to wait til I get there to have it tuned properly but I'm not even sure if they have E85 there yet. But it's good to hear someone other than some random guy off the street recommending it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez80
    Thanks. I have an '11 WRX. Completely stock as of right now minus the nipple in my wastegate line being removed (helped with turbo lag). I'm in Springs now and am getting ready to move to Columbus GA. I'm wanting to wait til I get there to have it tuned properly but I'm not even sure if they have E85 there yet. But it's good to hear someone other than some random guy off the street recommending it.
    You removed the restrictor pill?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez80 View Post
    Completely stock as of right now minus the nipple in my wastegate line being removed (helped with turbo lag).
    That's probably not a good idea. And won't help your turbo spool faster. Its used to control boost. Not reduce its mechanically determined "lag"
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You removed the restrictor pill?
    Lol. Ya. A guy i know with a long term sti project said it would help. I noticed lag drop but the car does feel sluggish. Not quite sure whatvit was for other than to limit turbos ultimate potential. Didnt think it was all that important

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez80 View Post
    Lol. Ya. A guy i know with a long term sti project said it would help. I noticed lag drop but the car does feel sluggish. Not quite sure whatvit was for other than to limit turbos ultimate potential. Didnt think it was all that important
    It will allow the stock bleed type boost control system to perform properly. Reducing or increasing the diameter of the opening in that restrictor pill will increase or reduce the dynamics of your control system (not turbo spool). I can't remember which line it is in from the factory, but the trade off is normally difficult to control boost (spikes or over boost) vs being able to hit your boost target.

In summary, I am leaning towards your action causing issues hitting and holding peak boost even though you 'removed' the 'restrictor' pill. Unintuitive, eh? Somebody chime in if I flipped that and he is just boost spiking everywhere.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    In summary, I am leaning towards your action causing issues hitting and holding peak boost even though you 'removed' the 'restrictor' pill. Unintuitive, eh? Somebody chime in if I flipped that and he is just boost spiking everywhere.
    No, you are right. The boost spike is huge through 1st gear and the rest are just sluggish. We played around last night with them in fowards and backwards. Now that it's back in my car feels a lot more stabilized. Plus I talked with a guy that works at a dealership in Colorado Springs and he basically told me the same thing to leave it in because of uncontrollable spikes. Back to the original topic, he said definately have it in when I do the E85 conversion.

Do it once & do it right.
    30% larger injectors, I just had my 02 stockers modified
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    Get a tune - I had mine pro tuned at MacAutosports on E40 and did the final conversion to E85 on my own with some scalar alteration of the map (Injector Scalar, etc...) Either way, I could run E10-E55 just fine. Now I run E85 all the time... at least i did until taking apart my engine for a 10:1 CR E85 only rebuild.

I'm an automotive engineer in the Denver area that tunes GM & Fords to run off Ethanol & Methanol ($1.20/gallon, 110 octane). Alcohols are great fuels... **** OPEC.

#1, you're buying American made fuel.

#2, you should notice an increase of 5-20% more horsepower after the tune.

Gas mileage will decrease a max 30%, but if the timing is optimized, then you should only drop 10-20%.

I further altered my tune to save another 5% gas by setting my CL Fueling Target to a lambda of 1.05 (5% lean). Great for city/highway driving, supposedly not good for NOx emissions, but E85 burns hundreds of degrees cooler than gasoline, so NOx is already less of an issue.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've done it.

It's worth it if you want more power.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have it and love it. See my build thread for details.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.