Colorado Member's Forum - Page 49
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 125 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Colorado Member's Forum within the Mountain States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; ANYONE WITH A STi or WRX Stock Downpipe that's willing to let me borrow it for emissions?? I failed...

I Support ClubWRX
    ANYONE WITH A STi or WRX Stock Downpipe that's willing to let me borrow it for emissions?? I failed
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not unless a 2010 dp will fit yours. I doubt it will though....
    Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to try it.
    Swamp Monster Rally Racing- 91 Impreza - Phase II 2.5 w/ DOHC, RS25 trans/diff, header, 2.25" catted exh, WRX springs, AGX struts, L&M steering, RS power-slot brakes = stage rally build in progress...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    ANYONE WITH A STi or WRX Stock Downpipe that's willing to let me borrow it for emissions?? I failed
    if you cant find one closer to you, i have one you can borrow.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    JTrenk Colorado Springs, CO

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JTrenk View Post
    JTrenk Colorado Springs, CO
    Welcome! I'll add you to the list soon. I need to scroll through and find all the recents
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    if you cant find one closer to you, i have one you can borrow.
    I found a guy off of pirates.. We'll see if it pans out. If not, I'll give you a buzz.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Lenny, Denver Area. I am new to owning a Subaru and just bought a 06 WRX TR in July. I am new to the forums. I have a GF who belongs to a few Mustang clubs and have hung out with them for the last 3 years. I really enjoy the hangouts at car shows and events. Anyways, I have been really happy with my car until I lost the clutch a month ago. I hope to have it back up and running this weekend.

Thanks,
    Lenny

Clovis - Colorado Springs, CO - 11 WRX

Welcome with a question...

After getting back from Afghanistan in May, I finally got a chance to get another Subaru, a 2008 WRX.

It has a Perrin CAI on it, with an AEM DryFlow filter (there's just something that says "don't trust me" when you can literally see the world through a filter).

I'm not trying to make a competition racer out of this car, and my plans for it are to get a good down pipe, cat-back exhaust, and an AP with a good tune, scheduled for February. Also I'm considering a bigger TM intercooler in the future.

My question is this: Once I get this done, will the tune still allow the computer to compensate for altitude when I drive to Washington (and sea-level) to visit? When I get out and return there, will I need to get the car re-tuned?

I've been looking online since I got the car and though I've found some interesting stories (including huge turbos without a tune at this altitude), I haven't found much regarding this issue and thought I'd throw it out there and see what I get.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

GT

I would seriously consider talking to Adam at Revolutions, Harvey @ boostcreep or Tony at Suba performance. It sounds like you may have some parts you don't need... The CAI is needed when you hit 400hp. A DP, cat back and a good pro tune is what I would suggest. Or add 1000cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump and get an E85/91 octane tune. This I'd just my opinion, so talk to the pros before you jump.....
    I personally run a Cobb AP w/ pro tunes now. That lets me use the AP in monitor mode, switch from alky to 91 or the big one - anti theft mode. Lots of roos are getting jacked these days.

PS. Thank you for serving us and our country! You are a hero IMO.

Greg
    Last edited by mule; 10-27-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: add
    Swamp Monster Rally Racing- 91 Impreza - Phase II 2.5 w/ DOHC, RS25 trans/diff, header, 2.25" catted exh, WRX springs, AGX struts, L&M steering, RS power-slot brakes = stage rally build in progress...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    I would seriously consider talking to Adam at Revolutions, Harvey @ boostcreep or Tony at Suba performance. It sounds like you may have some parts you don't need... The CAI is needed when you hit 400hp. A DP, cat back and a good pro tune is what I would suggest. Or add 1000cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump and get an E85/91 octane tune. This I'd just my opinion, so talk to the pros before you jump.....
    I personally run a Cobb AP w/ pro tunes now. That lets me use the AP in monitor mode, switch from alky to 91 or the big one - anti theft mode. Lots of roos are getting jacked these days.

PS. Thank you for serving us and our country! You are a hero IMO.

Greg
    CAI is beneficial on a stock 08+ car... the LGT style of intake has been proven to be fairly inefficient.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXGhost View Post
    After getting back from Afghanistan in May, I finally got a chance to get another Subaru, a 2008 WRX.

It has a Perrin CAI on it, with an AEM DryFlow filter (there's just something that says "don't trust me" when you can literally see the world through a filter).

I'm not trying to make a competition racer out of this car, and my plans for it are to get a good down pipe, cat-back exhaust, and an AP with a good tune, scheduled for February. Also I'm considering a bigger TM intercooler in the future.

My question is this: Once I get this done, will the tune still allow the computer to compensate for altitude when I drive to Washington (and sea-level) to visit? When I get out and return there, will I need to get the car re-tuned?

I've been looking online since I got the car and though I've found some interesting stories (including huge turbos without a tune at this altitude), I haven't found much regarding this issue and thought I'd throw it out there and see what I get.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

GT
    It will compensate for the altitude change. I had the same concerns. I had Harvey tune my car up here after I got back from my deployment, then I spent a year at sea level with 0 issues, and then came back up here. I didn't have any knock correction at all. My IAM was still at 1.0 the whole time. It may not have been as efficient as it could have been down at sea level, but I wasn't knocking, and I wasn't pulling timing after my tune at altitude.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

CAI is beneficial on a stock 08+ car... the LGT style of intake has been proven to be fairly inefficient.
    That's why I told him it to talk to the tuners.
    I was reading some stuff on the airflow changes from some brands not being compatible with some MAF sensors and needing a pro tuner to recalibrate the system. I had a double whammy on my car this past week. My car in an almost stock form was detonating at 5000-5500 rpms with only the K&N panel filter and SPT cat back. I used 1 qt of oil between oil changes. I did not catch this problem. When I did the stage one Cobb map, it quit.
    Then, I had the new injectors put in last week and put on a limp along map. It was running really rough and I mistakenly thought it was the map. By the time I could get the shop on the phone and figure out it was actually an injector not firing, I had messed up my engine worse. Turned out #2 injector clip was not seated. Once I pushed on the plug and it latched, the car ran good. But, I probably have a busted ring land now. Adam at Revolutions stopped the tune after two pulls because of high RPM detonation. The car goes in to Suba performance tomorrow to get checked out while I'm in KS for work.....

This is why I'm leery of air flow mods with no tune. And, why I think a pro would be the best person to talk to. Also, after talking to Adam a bit, I found that lots of the mods like this don't help enough to justify the cost in the long run. I have a better TMIC in my car and realistically I can only do so much before heat soak kills any gains I would realize from the mods. Even changing to a bigger TMIC will only give me a few % more power. The biggest bang for the buck is to change turbos and go FMIC. Less money wasted on little things that cold have paid for the FMIC in the long run.

One other thing I have found out. From 08 on, subaru started using cheaper "light weight" pistons in our cars. They can't handle detonation and around 400 hp. The cranks in 08-09 were too soft and had constant issues with bearings going. The 10 crank is hardened.....

It will compensate for the altitude change. I had the same concerns. I had Harvey tune my car up here after I got back from my deployment, then I spent a year at sea level with 0 issues, and then came back up here. I didn't have any knock correction at all. My IAM was still at 1.0 the whole time. It may not have been as efficient as it could have been down at sea level, but I wasn't knocking, and I wasn't pulling timing after my tune at altitude.
    That's what I needed to know, thanks. So I'm guessing that my initial plan of getting my guys up there to do a tune on it when I get back for good would be a good idea, but it should be fine until then.

The CAI setup I have essentially helps from a stop to 40 MPH noticeably, and my freeway MPGs went from 25 and some change (zeroed and checked on I25 speed controlled at 70 MPH) to 27+ as well. Thanks to Fort Carson's traffic, my average still hovers about 20-22... lol After filling up there and doing my usual daily driving on-post, I was sitting at 16.4.

The day after I bought the car, I found this kit on Ebay (during a random visit), new in box from a guy who changed his build and didn't need it. I paid $155 delivered to my door for a box I could have gotten direct from Perrin for $389 + shipping, so I bought it... Lesson learned from my old Subaru, I ground through the 3 days waiting for it searching forums to see if Perrin's claims that it would work fine without a tune were accurate. No one else had had any issues, and so far neither have I.

Only issues I have had with this car so far was the weird idle issues it had when I bought it. Throwing out the mystery brand BOV that was on it when I got it and putting the factory one back on (it was in the console, thankfully), fixed the problem. Seems this is a common enough issue that I was surprised that the dealer certified the car with it on there, especially with the original still sitting in it.

Anyways, thanks again for the info.

GT

Nice score on the CAI. That was a steal. I'm just paranoid now, so I tend to lean on the cautious side. I take my car in tomorrow morning to get the engine checked out. I'll let you guys know what they find.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.