Subaru WRX Forum banner

The dizzle and loulegz thread

519K views 11K replies 57 participants last post by  Calvinball 
#1 ·
ADizzle02 Sandy Utah

xXLouLegzXx do you drive a black rex?? I think you live 3 houses down from me hahaha

#5,240 ·
by safely i mean not blow anything up still using as a daily driver. pretty much just what the stock motor can take psi wise and still be fine. also what is the max a stock turbo can put out?

to tune with an AP is it the same as open source? or something only a pro tuner can do?

#5,241 · (Edited)
19 lbs of boost, thats still quite a bit, Hey gilly your the turbo guru, How come diesel's dont push a lot of boost? Let me explain, the most boost I could ever get out of my Duramax was like 8 pounds, that seems like nothing. I don get it, could i have tuned it for a bunch more, or maybe the guage was off. When the turbo would kick in it would butt dyno for 500 hp, so im confused at how it would do that with 8lbs?!

EDIT: Is it because the compression ratio is so much higher in diesels? So it doesnt take as much boost to give the same effect as it would take a gas engine?

#5,242 ·
to answer your question its because its an entirely different type of turbo.... most diesel engines on say a duramax use VGT turbos..........and because im lazy ill copy and paste an explanation...

Variable geometry turbochargers (VGTs) are a family of turbochargers, usually designed to allow the effective aspect ratio (sometimes called A/R Ratio) of the turbo to be altered as conditions change. This is done because optimum aspect ratio at low engine speeds is very different from that at high engine speeds. If the aspect ratio is too large, the turbo will fail to create boost at low speeds; if the aspect ratio is too small, the turbo will choke the engine at high speeds, leading to high exhaust manifold pressures, high pumping losses, and ultimately lower power output. By altering the geometry of the turbine housing as the engine accelerates, the turbo's aspect ratio can be maintained at its optimum. Because of this, VGTs have a minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold, and are very efficient at higher engine speeds. In many configurations, VGTs do not even require a wastegate, however this depends on whether the fully open position is sufficiently open to allow boost to be controlled to the desired level at all times. Some VGT implementations have been known to over-boost if a wastegate is not fitted

#5,246 ·
Correct... Lou is done with all of her projects, woot woot!
And um... Gilly... I really have no idea. I saw the most ridiculously riced out Civic yesterday... I am so mad I did not take a picture... I think the comment I left you was a mixture between that and my lovely double shot coffee drink from the Star of Bucks :D
And I come on ever once in a while after work! I am just usually reDONKulously busy and never have time :sadwave:
Tomorrow is my friends wedding, then this weekend is the dunes, woooooters.
I really REALLY need a new mod....
Intake.... Springs.... Tint.... Top Mount/Turbo/Tune.... Frick. I'll figure out my bonus in probably like 2 weeks, horay!
Ok i'm done babbling.

#5,254 · (Edited)
hawk we should start learning accessTUNER so by the time you open a shop it might be out of(if) beta and we can use that. i got the links to download it today(i took the survey)

#5,268 ·
they dont yet.. but if we learn how to tune you can use stage 3 map you have as a starting point. :cool:. we need to learn how to log first.

#5,270 · (Edited)
I have absolutely no idea when it comes to open source, and data logging. But I am always wanting to learn more about that stuff. If you guys find anything on it, let me know.. Did you guys try asking the guru Gilly?

I found this, dont know if it will help much but here it is. where to begin with open source tuning [Archive] - NASIOC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.