Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This is a discussion on Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I did some racing this last weekend and a private strip and had a few bad launches and some good ...

I did some racing this last weekend and a private strip and had a few bad launches and some good launches.

My method is holding the revs around 3000 then when the flag drops, I mash the gas pedal to the floor at the same time I release the clutch. To go from full clutch to no clutch is about 1/2 of a second I'd estimate. So a fast clutch release. By the time the clutch is fully released the rpms are around 5000-5500 and the tires let loose for about 0.8 seconds.

Since the engine can build boost starting around 2800 rpm with load, the quick mashing the pedal to the floor while releasing the clutch builds a psi or two boost in only a quarter of a second. The smooth but quick clutch release doesn't send shock waves down the drivetrain and by full clutch release the full power is delivered to spin the tires a tiny bit.

This was done on a 28F day and a unpreped rough pavement surface. My front tires where at 37psi, and rears where 33psi.

I just cross my fingers my trans lasts long enough for me to save up for a nice 1-4 straight cut gear set.
    Last edited by HellTriX; 12-10-2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: typo
    .: TriX :.
    2009 Subaru WRX hatch (Blue).
    AP - stage 1.
    Next on list: 1) Boost Gauge, 2) Catback

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is a pretty dead thread, but I've got a question regardless- I've heard so much about the 5MT and the rear driveshaft, axle, and diff in 02-03 WRX's...I've got an '03 wagon, does the whole "dump the clutch and spin the tires under boost" deal work for an 03, or is it still not worth the risk?

This is a pretty dead thread, but I've got a question regardless- I've heard so much about the 5MT and the rear driveshaft, axle, and diff in 02-03 WRX's...I've got an '03 wagon, does the whole "dump the clutch and spin the tires under boost" deal work for an 03, or is it still not worth the risk? To be honest, my "launches" are us

This is a pretty dead thread, but I've got a question regardless- I've heard so much about the 5MT and the rear driveshaft, axle, and diff in 02-03 WRX's...I've got an '03 wagon, does the whole "dump the clutch and spin the tires under boost" deal work for an 03, or is it still not worth the risk? To be honest, my "launches" are usually just starting normally, as you would at a light or a stop sign....and then stepping on it once I'm already moving. So far, as far as running on the tarmac at a local airport goes, that's been enough to beat everything except for a highly modded 300zx twin turbo.

Good luck with your tranny if you want to dump your clutch. Your approach of stepping on it after already moving is a very good one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

How do you go about finding out about this airport that lets you do speed runs? That would be a lovely way to find out what its like to go fast

My close friends father owns the airport; only air use is for local private airplanes, mostly recreational. I simply schedule a day with his father, one where he doesn't expect any use of the runway, and wallah.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567