Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by YBNormal07 ... seem like it would make your clutch go up in smoke.... Agreed. May work a ...

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    ... seem like it would make your clutch go up in smoke....
    Agreed. May work a few times, but not for long!

VV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

fre
    I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on the fact that you have to have a serious clutch to use this method. I have a triple disk cerametallic clutch. My friend has a twin. Yes, it will eat your clutch up, but that's part of racing. Even with this abusive method, if you have a good clutch you should be good for a season of racing. My thought is.... I would rather lunch my 1500 dollar clutch than my 4500 dollar driveline

Having said that, wear and tear is part of racing...if you can't afford to break your car, don't race it. That is why I had to stop racing.
    Last edited by fre; 11-15-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    11.1 @ 131

how about doing this on a Dirt road? what about Sand dunes? Since you want a bit of tire slippage when you drop the clutch, is it good since the tire will spin in for a second?
    IM THE JUGGERNAUT B!TCH

fre
    Launching on a dirt road is definitely easier on your driveline, but you will probably sit there spinning for quite some time on dirt. You also tend to fling a lot of rocks up causing some nice dings. Really no point in launching on dirt, because you would be better off rolling out. Even then I spin like crazy once I hit boost.
    11.1 @ 131

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fre View Post
    Launching on a dirt road is definitely easier on your driveline, but you will probably sit there spinning for quite some time on dirt. You also tend to fling a lot of rocks up causing some nice dings. Really no point in launching on dirt, because you would be better off rolling out. Even then I spin like crazy once I hit boost.

LOL..it's a rally based car. You really won't know just how much fun you can have with the Impreza platform until you dirt or mud it up at least once!

No...spinning in gravel will not hurt anything except maybe your paint.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Ok, and what about droppin the clutch on a RWD car on pavement? I assume it is all good as long as the tire spins a bit eh?
    IM THE JUGGERNAUT B!TCH

So ive read this thread twice i just wana make sure i got the clean cut concensous on how to launch AWD cars.

1.Clutch in blip throttle to build what ever boost you can
    2.Before green light floor it
    3.drop clutch (now would it be a side-step or like a omg i stepped in dog crap thing)
    4. make sure you get alteast a bit of tire slip so save drive train
    5. keep tires at aorund 40psi to ensure spin

Once im just tryin to have a post were its like heres a question heres the general concenous answer.

Thanks in advance.

I've launched a few times, and my method is this.

1. Clutch disengaged, neutral.
    2. 1st gear, bring RPM's to about 4k
    3. Blip throttle in 2-300k incriments at a time to keep spool

After this I like to bring the clutch out at a mild pace, not dropping it or slipping it but sort of in between. I've done the wheelspin and I've done the slipping but I practiced and made a hybrid. I didn't like the feeling of the clutch after slipping, felt squishy like it wouldn't engage into 2nd. And the wheelspin looks and sounds cool out of an AWD car, but if I wanted that much I'd of just bought a RWD.

After a few practice runs I can now lauch without any glazing and my clutch engagement hasn't moved an inch.

Also, practicing the same methods in my daily driver (Del sol) like it was my WRX helped out a ton. Made it able to practice different kinds without worrying about hurting my baby. And yes I know FWD launch is like 1337 times different, but I launched like I thought it was a AWD.

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    LOL..it's a rally based car. You really won't know just how much fun you can have with the Impreza platform until you dirt or mud it up at least once!

No...spinning in gravel will not hurt anything except maybe your paint.
    Yea, if you don't mind paint dings it's fun to spin in the dirt. I've done it quite a few times. No need to launch to spin though Sideways floating is always a good time.
    11.1 @ 131

Alright so it was rainy tonight and went out to try some launches but I couldn't figure out one friggin way to "build" boost when im revving. It was still in vac the whole time, every time... how do you guys launch on boost I am deffinetly missing something here. BTW I would make a tree in my mind holding it at 3.5k then right when im ready to launch I rev it to 5k.
    Sold the WRX bought a '06 Evo IX MR and sorry to say never looked back

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieStylez View Post
    Alright so it was rainy tonight and went out to try some launches but I couldn't figure out one friggin way to "build" boost when im revving. It was still in vac the whole time, every time... how do you guys launch on boost I am deffinetly missing something here. BTW I would make a tree in my mind holding it at 3.5k then right when im ready to launch I rev it to 5k.

You won't build up boost without anti lag. You have to slip the clutch to build boost. As your car loads the driveline you will build all your boost, which is why awd cars have that slow roll out appearance in the first split second of launching.

The idea is to slip the clutch just enough to avoid bogging. It is a fine line to walk.
    11.1 @ 131

Quote Originally Posted by Scott989 View Post
    So ive read this thread twice i just wana make sure i got the clean cut concensous on how to launch AWD cars.

1.Clutch in blip throttle to build what ever boost you can
    2.Before green light floor it
    3.drop clutch (now would it be a side-step or like a omg i stepped in dog crap thing)
    4. make sure you get alteast a bit of tire slip so save drive train
    5. keep tires at aorund 40psi to ensure spin

Once im just tryin to have a post were its like heres a question heres the general concenous answer.

Thanks in advance.
    this guy sidestepped

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/w...2d01701c82.htm

nice techniques guys

I dont get it...

Ok i have been driving manual trans for a short period of time roughly 2 months. I just read about dropping the clutch but dont seem to understand. When i tried to do so i put my car in first gear rev to 2000 rpms and let the clutch out completely, this resulted in a stall. So my question is How does dropping the clutch work? am i supposed to rev higher? or am i suppose to let it out quicker than slipping the clutch? And from what i have read so far dropping the clutch is worse for the the car than slipping for short periods of time correct?

If you are that new to driving a manual, I would suggest getting more comfortable with it before attempting to launch the car...

But your problem is that 2000 rpms is WAY too low. Dumping the clutch at 2000 - 4000 or so is asking for trouble IMO. You either want to slip the clutch or slip the tires (spin).

FWIW, I launch at 5500 - 6000 rpm with overinflated tires. I don't side-step the clutch, just a quick release.

VV

Quote Originally Posted by mmrlightning View Post
    Ok i have been driving manual trans for a short period of time roughly 2 months. I just read about dropping the clutch but dont seem to understand. When i tried to do so i put my car in first gear rev to 2000 rpms and let the clutch out completely, this resulted in a stall. So my question is How does dropping the clutch work? am i supposed to rev higher? or am i suppose to let it out quicker than slipping the clutch? And from what i have read so far dropping the clutch is worse for the the car than slipping for short periods of time correct?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast