Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thx, hopefully now i can run a 14.4, i ran a 14.9 with a 2.2 60'. if i can run ...

Thx, hopefully now i can run a 14.4, i ran a 14.9 with a 2.2 60'. if i can run a 1.8 i should easily get around 14.4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tires on AWD WRX's shouldn't spin. Dropping the clutch will eventually bust the tranny (which is weak anyway). Slip the clutch, they are cheaper than trannies ($500.00 compared to $3,200.00), and at 4500 RPM's it should give you a great launch...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Originally posted by 04EJ20
    Tires on AWD WRX's shouldn't spin. Dropping the clutch will eventually bust the tranny (which is weak anyway). Slip the clutch, they are cheaper than trannies ($500.00 compared to $3,200.00), and at 4500 RPM's it should give you a great launch...

yes, they should spin actually...
    its completely up to you...
    you can buy new tires, a new clutch, a new tranny, or a new car that u can drive

i have no idea what you are talking about, get your facts straight before you post
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    --------------------------------------
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    HKS Carbon-Ti Hiper Exhaust
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

Your wheels will spin which gets rid of that huge BITE that happens when you drop it...
    I have the stock tires on. Potenza RE92's. I can't get them to lose traction, ie spin the tires, launching at the track (Infineon and Sacramento Raceway). I think the AWD system gets in the way.

I have DSM people backing me up on this; to get a 1.6 60 ft. time you have to practice at the slip clutch technique. I've dropped the clutch on several runs and only got to hook up a 1.9 60ft time. The racing season is closed out here in California but if your willing to pay for my new tranny, I'll do your clutch dump method for a whole year!

-alex

Up the pressure in your tires. RE92s should spin easily. The AWD doesn't get in the way LOL. These cars are not DSMs. What works for them won't necessarily work for us. At mild to moderate power levels, the launch technique from the sticky post in this forum produces the fastest ETs posted.

VV

My RE950's don't spin, but by clutch does slip...
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Maybe it is the clutch restrictor in the 03/04's. I have no trouble turning over 225/40/18s...

VV

My RE950's don't spin, but by clutch does slip...

Dont DROP the clutch
    Dont SLIP the clutch

Release the clutch FAST

you WILL break the front tires loose, and you WILL stay on boost, any WRX should be pulling 1.8's 60'
    2000 WRX

That's when the car stands up on end for a split second, like hairs on a cats back, then lunges foward at neck breaking speed, right???

My GF loves that one...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

I'm not catching your drift...are you saying that some spin is a bad thing?

VV

...or the driver...

I'm not catching your drift...are you saying that some spin is a bad thing?
    I think when you make em "chirp" it's the best...
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

What are your 60' times?

VV

I think when you make em "chirp" it's the best...

my launch technique. . is to feather the gas around 5500 to anywhere around 6500 i slowly let out the clutch and slam the gas 1.6 60 footer times =].. and no burning clutch just my way

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by geronimo66
    How are you getting boost when the motor isn't under load? When the clutch is in RPM doesn't matter does it, you aren't building boost are you?
    Well one guy said it. You pull your e-brake and start to let off your clutch until you hit the engagement point. You are keeping it there so there IS load on the engine that way you build boost with your brakes before you launch. You can launch with some serious boost this way. Simply keep your revs up and the clutch at the point of engagement then when the light drops let down the e brake, let off the rest of the way on the clutch and keep your gas foot planted then your off.

It is good for your driveline because you preload everything so there is no slack in the splines and everything is tightened up before you roll out. I haven't tried this method yet, but my friend with a 10 second talon does it and it works wicked. I broke my tranny(splines between tranny and xfer case) launching the traditional slip/almost dump technique. probably because over time the splines got loose and finally took all the sudden shock they could take.
    11.1 @ 131

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fre View Post
    Well one guy said it. You pull your e-brake and start to let off your clutch until you hit the engagement point. You are keeping it there so there IS load on the engine that way you build boost with your brakes before you launch. You can launch with some serious boost this way. Simply keep your revs up and the clutch at the point of engagement then when the light drops let down the e brake, let off the rest of the way on the clutch and keep your gas foot planted then your off.

It is good for your driveline because you preload everything so there is no slack in the splines and everything is tightened up before you roll out. I haven't tried this method yet, but my friend with a 10 second talon does it and it works wicked. I broke my tranny(splines between tranny and xfer case) launching the traditional slip/almost dump technique. probably because over time the splines got loose and finally took all the sudden shock they could take.
    Just to be curious, has anyone actually tried this? It would seem like you would smoke your clutch doing this. It is common practise to preload with an automatic, but in all my years of racing, I've never seen this done with a manual tranny. I'm not doubting it can be done, but it just seems a bit abusive to the clutch in that you would be "riding" it, and thus, wearing it out. Not to say general launching doesn't wear the clutch of course.

I guess I think of this like taking off from a stop while on a hill. Set the e-brake, rev, slowly release the clutch and as the car starts to squat, release the e-brake. But at the revs we are talking for a good launch, this would seem like it would make your clutch go up in smoke.

Any comments?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.