Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So what kinda tires are you guys using? If you've got performance tires (Z-rated) on your ride, can you still ...

So what kinda tires are you guys using? If you've got performance tires (Z-rated) on your ride, can you still dump the clutch and get wheel spin?? I've never tried dumping the clutch in my rex, but always used to do it in my other cars. Just didn't want to jack the tranny being an AWD....
    "Live to race, Born to win!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by j-rock
    So what kinda tires are you guys using? If you've got performance tires (Z-rated) on your ride, can you still dump the clutch and get wheel spin?? I've never tried dumping the clutch in my rex, but always used to do it in my other cars. Just didn't want to jack the tranny being an AWD....
    depends on the power your makin & how you treat your tires...
    ive nearly destroyed my Re-92s, just about bald on the sides. So wen i launchd at the track, it caused bad traction and loss of a good 60'...
    just recently ive pickd up some new rims w/Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s... which arent that great either btw
    But as long as its a decent tire w/tread, you really dont need Z-Rated tires for AWD launches
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    --------------------------------------
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    HKS Carbon-Ti Hiper Exhaust
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

How are you getting boost when the motor isn't under load? When the clutch is in RPM doesn't matter does it, you aren't building boost are you?

Wrong. You can build boost in neutral/clutch depressed. On a stock car you won't build but a few psi, but any positive manifold pressure is a plus here. If you hold rpms at a constant, you will not build any boost. However, hold at ~3k rpms and floor it until 5.5k-6k rpms, see if you aren't building boost in that range. That is why the most popular (on the boards at least) launching method does this exact thing.

VV

Originally posted by geronimo66
    How are you getting boost when the motor isn't under load? When the clutch is in RPM doesn't matter does it, you aren't building boost are you?

Originally posted by VetteVert
    Wrong. You can build boost in neutral/clutch depressed. On a stock car you won't build but a few psi, but any positive manifold pressure is a plus here. If you hold rpms at a constant, you will not build any boost. However, hold at ~3k rpms and floor it until 5.5k-6k rpms, see if you aren't building boost in that range. That is why the most popular (on the boards at least) launching method does this exact thing.

VV
    yup... that pretty much sums it up. Utec Launch Control is an even better example, it holds RPMs steady at any number u wish while building boost, like 7-8psi, which is how u get those nice 60' times...
    otherwise, keep blippin the throttle and a lil bit of boost should be made
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

How come my car bogs off the line and then takes a while to pick up after? I tried to lanch at around 4k-5k. I kept my left foot on the clutch, then leave the gear in 1st. Once I did all that, I gas it up to around 4k-5k. After that, I release the clutch, and then floor on the gas...

My car jerk then bogs and then picks after...

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by WiCkeDrEx
    How come my car bogs off the line and then takes a while to pick up after? I tried to lanch at around 4k-5k. I kept my left foot on the clutch, then leave the gear in 1st. Once I did all that, I gas it up to around 4k-5k. After that, I release the clutch, and then floor on the gas...

My car jerk then bogs and then picks after...

What am I doing wrong?
    when u say 'gas it up', what do you mean? are u holdng it tehre? or u pulsing the throttle?

in any case, it seems like you are gettn off the clutch too quickly... either try my method or try yours but floor it before lettin off the clutch
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

Originally posted by Hassassin
    when u say 'gas it up', what do you mean? are u holdng it tehre? or u pulsing the throttle?

in any case, it seems like you are gettn off the clutch too quickly... either try my method or try yours but floor it before lettin off the clutch
    Would it be better if I keep on pulsing the throttle, to keep the spool up? I tried flooring the gas before letting off my clutch. The tires chirp a bit then took off pretty fast. However, I can smell my clutch burning though....

Originally posted by WiCkeDrEx
    Would it be better if I keep on pulsing the throttle, to keep the spool up? I tried flooring the gas before letting off my clutch. The tires chirp a bit then took off pretty fast. However, I can smell my clutch burning though....
    thats wut i used to do to. it 'seems' like its working, but its really nothing great. the BEST method by far is pulsing the throttle to keep spool, floor, and slip/drop the clutch...
    you'll be on your way to 1.7-1.8 60' in no time!!!
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

I tend to bog as well when i launch. I hold it at about 4k and then slip the clutch till it starts to grab at which point i floor it and release the clutch in a drop slip way (quickly). Which causes me to bog with no tire spin. I tried also to floor it and slowly release the clutch instead of the quicker drop slip way, and i hear this awful noise after a few attempts with no clutch smell . Please help.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

when you bog, your tranny is takin the beating...
    when u slip too much, your clutch is takin the beating...
    when you spin, your tires are takin the beatin....
    when you launch correctly, u should either spin tires or not cause the clutch to slip more then it should

the BEST method by far:
    -line up
    -depress clutch
    -pulse throttle btw 4-6rpms
    -when your ready, or when the 2nd yellow light on the tree is lit, keep your foot down on the gas/floor it
    -now its time to get off of the clutch. the best way to explain it is pretend you just stepped in dog ****, you hafta retract your foot in a hastly manner. the clutch should NOT go back on its own, that is DUMPING which will prolly give u an amazing launch but ur tranny will scream in agony. aim for the fastest slip/dump, but using your own foot's weight to bring the clutch back...
    IMO, there is no better launching method then that, unless u have utec launch control that is
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

What is a good launch for a stock WRX? I managed a 2.2 60' at about 90 degree's and humid.

I reved to about 5-6 and dropped the clutch, but i caught good i think and i didn't spin and i didn't bog down either. My car didn't stink at all either when i was done. I managed to chirp on every shift though on that run.

Can anyone make sense out of what i was doing?

Originally posted by zapman
    What is a good launch for a stock WRX? I managed a 2.2 60' at about 90 degree's and humid.

I reved to about 5-6 and dropped the clutch, but i caught good i think and i didn't spin and i didn't bog down either. My car didn't stink at all either when i was done. I managed to chirp on every shift though on that run.

Can anyone make sense out of what i was doing?
    not to be an ass, but thats a pretty bad 60'. Dont worry, i wuz doin that bad (even worse at times) when i first started learning how to launch. I'm pretty sure a stock wrx could pull 1.8s if properly driven. You neeed to elaborate on how you launched... did u hold RPMS, pulse, how did u 'drop' the clutch...
    last note...
    its pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to chirp anything besides 1st gear, so i have no idea wtf your're talking about! Even if its possible, you'd hafta have a VERY powerful wrx, and a very WEIRD AWD tranny...
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

yeah, don't worry i didn't take it personally, constructive critisism is the best way to learn.

k, i reved up to about 6,000 give or take, its was hard for me to watch the tree and my rpm's at the same time (it was my first time ever dragging on a track) i then just pulled my foot completely off the clutch and right after i pulled my foot off the clutch i gassed it out.

It was so warm out the day i was running that a modded srt-4 was only running a best of 14.4

I don't know how i manage to chirp but i do, even from 2 to 3, i know it sounds insane but i do. it may have something to do with that i have 46k on my tires, i don't know?

What is the best way to get a 1.8 out of a stock WRX? regardless on what it does to your car.

Originally posted by Hassassin

-line up
    -depress clutch
    -pulse throttle btw 4-6rpms
    -when your ready, or when the 2nd yellow light on the tree is lit, keep your foot down on the gas/floor it
    -now its time to get off of the clutch. the best way to explain it is pretend you just stepped in dog ****, you hafta retract your foot in a hastly manner. the clutch should NOT go back on its own, that is DUMPING which will prolly give u an amazing launch but ur tranny will scream in agony. aim for the fastest slip/dump, but using your own foot's weight to bring the clutch back...
    IMO, there is no better launching method then that
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.