Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ive done maybe 7-8 launches out on my own on industrial parkways where its safe... When i go back to ...

Goin street racing

Ive done maybe 7-8 launches out on my own on industrial parkways where its safe... When i go back to chicago for thanksgiving, my friend who drives an A4 1.8 T is gonna coach me through awd launching and shifting... I feel somewhat confident about my driving but he runs a consistant 1.9 60' time. My car is stock with 1300 miles. When i launch at 5000-5200 (drop) the tires spin for a good long squeal...then bite, and lil ol rex chirps second every once in a while (depending on surfaces)... This is my first manual transmission car... anyone have a guess as far as how im doing? guesses on 60' times? I hope i have a strong runner. our grand cherokee 4.7L chirps all 4 on its way to a 2.0 60ft time, and 15.0 1/4 stock... And by watching the speedo, i think ive gotta have that beat.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    -Midnight Black
    -5 speed tranny
    -Short throw shifter
    -STi knob, (anyone wanna trade knobs)
    -Spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

And just for the record, that grand cherokee IS faster than my freinds A4 with Air filterand a ECU upgrade ... but his car did drop from a 16.4 to a 15.2 with mods under 500 bucks... wish i could see that kind of improvement. But nothing is cooler than beating up on riced out Vtecs with a grand cherokee with no v8 badges, and plastic Larado cladding... only option is a cd player and a v8. My guess is that i should really be able to crush that audi, if my driving is as good as i think it may be... I learned to drive on a foxbody mustang, and i think its probably in my blood. what were everyone elses' experiences? I have mastered rev-matching in about 3wks time
    2003 WRX Sedan
    -Midnight Black
    -5 speed tranny
    -Short throw shifter
    -STi knob, (anyone wanna trade knobs)
    -Spoiler

Sounds like there's not much coaching you need! That's about what you want to be doing...

And a 2.0 60' and 15.0 stock for the Jeep?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Take it to a track so you can have some legitimate times. Before spending any money on my car I ran a best of 1.89 60', on to a 14.09 @ 96.33 mph. If you are getting a decent amount of spin out of the hole (unless you are blowing the tires away), you should be sub 2.0. You can spin too much out of the hole in the awd scooby though. I've spun to high 1.90's before...not good. I seem to own 1.95s (unfortunately...1.85s would be OK ). I got in around 12 runs in the WRX before the track closed, and I think 8 or 9 of those were 1.95x's. (including my first 3 runs ever...in the WRX that is). I adjust tire pressure according to how well the track is prepped that night (it's never the same where I run). Higher pressures make it easier to be consistent IMO, but you aren't going to pull many sub 1.85s spinning that much. At lower pressures it is hard to keep from bogging. My only > 2.0 60's were when I lowered pressure in the fronts to hook harder....but I got my best 60' the same night with the same pressure (next run).

VV

vettevert, you said above that u dont sidestep u just quickly get off the clutch...

can u explian in full ur launching method to me? ill be down at etown tonight shootin for mid-low 13s, but my launches say otherwise....
    i have yet to get sub 2.0 60' times...
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    --------------------------------------
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    HKS Carbon-Ti Hiper Exhaust
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

Originally posted by TypeC
    The higher the pressure, the more they spin generally. My tires always stay at 35psi, and I dont' have a problem. 42 is what a lot of people use. The key thing is to be in boost when launching.
    TypeC, what rpm do you usually launch at?
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Just now saw this post. But if I'm not mistaken, you are now cutting better than 1.90 60' yourself, correct?

VV

Originally posted by Hassassin
    vettevert, you said above that u dont sidestep u just quickly get off the clutch...

can u explian in full ur launching method to me? ill be down at etown tonight shootin for mid-low 13s, but my launches say otherwise....
    i have yet to get sub 2.0 60' times...

since this post is back up, i might as well add in some info

since i last posted here i dont think i had better than 2.1. ive had maybe 40 or so times down the strip since than and i NEVER drop the clutch any more. hell, 90% of the time i dont even break traction. i just hold revs around 3000-4000, then at the 2nd yellow floor it into 5500-6000 and drop it 1/3rd of the way, than i slip the rest to the very edge of where i think it is about to break traction

id say about 1/3rd of my runs are between 1.80-1.84, 1/3rd are 1.85-1.89, and 1/3rd are 1.90-1.99. i do still get an occassional mess up and run it to 2.0 or 2.1 but that's only when im at a track that absolutely forces me to drive over the water to get the the starting line. damn i hate that ****

even though they cater to the 2wd burnout-ers with that, it's kinda fun when you just beat the hell out of the guy who just put on a burnout smoke-show for the audience just before the launch, though this usually happens in the 1/8mile and not the 1/4
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Originally posted by VetteVert
    Just now saw this post. But if I'm not mistaken, you are now cutting better than 1.90 60' yourself, correct?

VV
    yea, best so far is 1.776

my method is bouncing rpms between 4-6, flooring at at 2nd yellow, and then quickly getting my foot of off the clutch... not really slipping not dumping... or i dunno
    Last edited by Hassassin; 02-11-2003 at 02:22 PM.
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    --------------------------------------
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    HKS Carbon-Ti Hiper Exhaust
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

with me it's like i dump, then slip, then dump again, or something
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Originally posted by JimDab
    with me it's like i dump, then slip, then dump again, or something

You sound like me. I usually dump the clutch at 5k or so. Thats always done a good job for me. Last week I think I slipped the clutch out because I didn't get off the line very quickly. I glazed over the clutch and it was slipping all the way through first gear, and that really hurt my time.

I got new S03s 215/45/17, and they stick like glue. I'm afraid there going to leave my tranny sitting on the starting line. So I been trying to slip the clutch out a little more. That has completely ruined my 60' times.

With me it seems like I need to dump the clutch or else my run isn't very good.

Another thing you should do that is a must once you start to bolt on the mods... is "Pre-load" your clutch...

What is this you ask..?

When you fully stage your car. Pull your e-brake and start to let the clutch out to where you start to feal the car grap...

From here, at this point, is where you let your clutch out...

This way your not taking a motor that is at 3K and slaming it to the clutch... you will brake alot more stuff if you don't pre-load the clutch...

I rencetly saw one of those newer RAM air Pontiac cars.. do just that dropped the clutch and broke his drive shaft...

By the way this means you have to launch with your ebrake along with slipping the clutch.. no one said drag racing was easy..

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    You sound like me. I usually dump the clutch at 5k or so. Thats always done a good job for me. Last week I think I slipped the clutch out because I didn't get off the line very quickly. I glazed over the clutch and it was slipping all the way through first gear, and that really hurt my time.

I got new S03s 215/45/17, and they stick like glue. I'm afraid there going to leave my tranny sitting on the starting line. So I been trying to slip the clutch out a little more. That has completely ruined my 60' times.

With me it seems like I need to dump the clutch or else my run isn't very good.
    by letting go at 5, what kind of consistant 60fters were you seeing?
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I am new to car jargon. When you guys say 1.8 60' do you mean 1.8 seconds from 0-60 mph? If so, how are you guys achieving this time with a bone stock wrx when magazines like motortrend or car & driver are getting 5.6-5.9 seconds?
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 05-22-2003 at 09:07 PM.

When they say 1.8 60' times. It is 1.8 seconds from the time you break the lights on your staging lane, until you reach 60 feet. This just gives you an idea on how fast your car is getting moving down the track. It has nothing to do with miles per hour.

Ronin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast