Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Slip the clutch, drop the clutch? Whats the differnce within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by VetteVert I use the drop method (with slip). Netted me 3 1.9 second 60's first time at ...

Originally posted by VetteVert
    I use the drop method (with slip). Netted me 3 1.9 second 60's first time at the strip.

VV

drop with slip me=DUH
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ROFL. That does sound stupid reading it the second time. What I meant was the I drop the clutch so that I get some tire slip

VV

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    drop with slip me=DUH

ROFL. That does sound stupid reading it the second time. What I meant was the I drop the clutch so that I get some tire slip

VV

hahah ok i was just making sure i understand everything..i mess up posts too and don't read over them so dont worry about it
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    so which do you use/think is better? u gave good arguments from both sides
    I've got 1.79 with the drop on boost method. I would say that the drop method would be more consant since the only thing that you vary is launch rpm. Slipping (the clutch) would give the total comprimise between bogging and spinning since you'd stay in your sweet spot, but has the side effect of being hard on your launch.

A friend of mine was AWESOME at the R/T and 60' and slipped it every time (different car), but 6 months after he bought his car, his clutch started slipping. Different car, but I think we should all be aware of the stress.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

Sorry for posting a few days later, but just to make sure I don't bust the tranny or clutch...I'd need to have the tires at 42psi so they will get a little bit of spin when dropping the clutch?
    -Rob W

02 WRX Sedan 5spd Midnight Black
    --- Mods: Godspeed Uppipe, Blitz SBC-id

01 LS1 Firebird Formula

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Rob W
    Sorry for posting a few days later, but just to make sure I don't bust the tranny or clutch...I'd need to have the tires at 42psi so they will get a little bit of spin when dropping the clutch?
    The higher the pressure, the more they spin generally. My tires always stay at 35psi, and I dont' have a problem. 42 is what a lot of people use. The key thing is to be in boost when launching.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

I do better around 36psi myself. Last night I had the intention of starting off at 42psi, but I set them in the morning before I left (cold). Didn't even think about it and made my first run. I launched hard and the fronts smoked hard. The people with me in the stands said you could see the smoke rolling...hard to believe on an AWD car. I get back to the staging lanes and check my fronts....48PSI!!! The rest of the night I ran 36psi at operating temp. I still get some spin, but it hooks fairly quick.

VV

Originally posted by TypeC

The higher the pressure, the more they spin generally. My tires always stay at 35psi, and I dont' have a problem. 42 is what a lot of people use. The key thing is to be in boost when launching.

hmm

everyone's always complaining about a glass tranny but you guys seem to be doing ok

makes me wonder what's really going on, maybe there's a right way to drop it and a wrong way? like a soft drop and a hard drop (sidestep)

how quickly do you drop your clutch VV? do you sidestep it or just basically slip the clutch so fast that it doesnt really slip?
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Re: hmm

I floor it and right when the tach hits 7000 rpm I slide my foot to the left and the clutch flies up.

VV

Originally posted by JimDab
    everyone's always complaining about a glass tranny but you guys seem to be doing ok

makes me wonder what's really going on, maybe there's a right way to drop it and a wrong way? like a soft drop and a hard drop (sidestep)

how quickly do you drop your clutch VV? do you sidestep it or just basically slip the clutch so fast that it doesnt really slip?

hehe, j/k

I let up quick, but not quick like a side-step, no.

VV

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Re: hmm

I floor it and right when the tach hits 7000 rpm I slide my foot to the left and the clutch flies up.

VV

I nearly $hit a brick when I read that!

I release it all at once. The release time, IMO, isn't the problem it's the biting of the tires that is (so spin 'em!).

VV, time to get the Vette modded and ready for next season.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

In talking about this with someone else, it came to mind that some people probably aren't maximizing their starting line rollout. If you are ignoring everything else (i.e. not bracket racing or shooting for good/consistent/whatever reaction times), try this:

pull up until the first light comes on. Then ever so slowly pull up until the second light just comes on. This will give you roughly 8" of movement before the beam is tripped. Give it a shot and post your results

VV

So how do you guarantee a slip? On dry pavement is the higher tire pressure sufficient? Find some water to drive through? ArmorAll? =)

-Rob
    Driver carries less than $20...in ammunition.

I Support ClubWRX
    by "VetteVert"

It's sort of like someone trying to to a burnout on a bike. They watch someone rev and pop the clutch at, say, 9500 rpm. The person rolls off a nice burnout. Then they try it themselves, only are timid about it. They pop at 5500 rpm and flip over backwards. Same idea. That's why I think it is (probably, what do I know) harder on the car to do a moderately hard launch than a hard launch.[/B]
    I second that. Launch or don't launch. There is no in between.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

asdjfklasjfdlkjklaj,,,!@$%^&(*

when i was at the track a while back, i had the following mods...
    intake, catback, BOV
    best of 14.7...
    launch: rev to 4500-5000, and slip it like everyone said to do
    result: garbage launch, 2.2 60' times...
    and i went home crying & screaming that i was slower then a stock wrx...

The next time i went w/this...
    aem intake, turboxs bov, uppipe, downpipe,exhaust...
    the best i could get out of that was a 14.1@94mph
    my best best 60ft was only about 2.05 or so
    this was my launching method...
    when the tree started dropping, i floored it, the revs climbed, slipped clutch at the same time, at the last yellow light i was around 4-6rpms, clutch completely released...
    result: 2.0 60' times

i talked to another guy w/a rex while i was there, he had uppipe downpipe and exhaust...
    he told me he bounces off rev limiter and drops...
    result for him: 13.3!!!!
    i explained to him the whole 'glass tranny' thing, and told me he has been doin that on the street and at the track for almost a year or so

i think after that and readin the comments above, im gonna convert to a droppper
    241HP 241TQ
    Altezza Power
    --------------------------------------
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Godspeed Uppipe
    Godspeed Downpipe
    HKS Carbon-Ti Hiper Exhaust
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    TXS TMIC v2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast