Stock automatic WRX times? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67

This is a discussion on Stock automatic WRX times? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Anytime a lightly modded FWD Neon is launching just as hard as a WRX, there are driver issues. Since when ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calabasas Ca
    Posts
    23
    Anytime a lightly modded FWD Neon is launching just as hard as a WRX, there are driver issues. Since when did lightly modded fwd 4cyl "Imports" start hanging with WRX's? Dont let the civic boards catch wind of this or we will have dozens of "Civic with CAI EATS wrx" posts
    '02 WRX as of 8/2
    WR Blue Exterior
    -STi Short Shifter
    -Injen CAI in Blue
    -TXS H-RFL BOV

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Glendale Hts, IL, USA
    Posts
    108
    Originally posted by SoCalWRXr
    Are you retarded? If you raced somebody that had a clue how to power brake an Auto he would have killed you


    Also, is there ANYBODY here who willingly chose to get a AT WRX? I know some people were forced into it, but did anybody actually want an AT??
    I won't crap on you too hard cause your A: a n00b, B: a subaru owner....


    But do yourself/the community/I a favor and listen for a few months before speaking....

    Harsh... but true.... You not only do our car an injustice by spouting half truths... but you give information about >MY< platform that is flat out a half-truth.... Not to mention the fact that your offensive to me....

    Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calabasas Ca
    Posts
    23
    Originally posted by RiftsWRX


    I won't crap on you too hard cause your A: a n00b, B: a subaru owner....


    But do yourself/the community/I a favor and listen for a few months before speaking....

    Harsh... but true.... You not only do our car an injustice by spouting half truths... but you give information about >MY< platform that is flat out a half-truth.... Not to mention the fact that your offensive to me....

    Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com
    Sorry to offend you, but in most cases my automitic claim is true. You obviously have higher plans where an automatic will be handy, but most of us would much rather row our own. I know a lot of people get stuck with a slushie (by parents, spouse, ect...), i was just stating, why compare against an Automatic WRX, i have never been able to understand the purpose in buying an automatic sports car. Sure my claim was off by a bit, whatever, my bad, im really not going to lose sleep over it. Im still curious as to how a lightly modded Neon runs with MT WRX's?
    '02 WRX as of 8/2
    WR Blue Exterior
    -STi Short Shifter
    -Injen CAI in Blue
    -TXS H-RFL BOV

  5. #19
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    hey i gotta agree that the neon wouldn't beat the wrx...sorry man

  6. #20
    Registered User bunot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    231

    Cool Re:

    Why I bought an auto WRX: (not in order of importance)

    1. Higher resale/trade-in value.
    2. The way I drive, I save myself $$$ on tranny repairs annually.
    3. MT sux when driving thru Chicago's rush hour traffic.
    4. LUXURY BABY! No it's not a Benz, but it's not an Escort either!
    5. 4EAT maintains steady boost, better than MT.
    6. 4EATs have better suspension system than MT WRXs.
    7. The fastest WRXs are 4EATs
    8. Having my right hand free from shifting, I can use it to punch in nitrous!!!! Whahahahaa!!!! or pick my nose, w/cever.
    9. Remote start won't be a hassle since I can put the car on park.
    10. The possibility of getting an upgraded torque converter to equal the MT WRXs in high RPM launches.
    11. Easier to operate a 4EAT when driving intoxicated.
    12. Easier to have a friend drive you home when you're way too intoxicated to even drive 4EAT.
    13. Someone told me the WRC car is 4EAT, pls. verify.

    I have dozens more reasons, but the point is, I have my reasons.

    Oh, and that Neon will not beat my 4EAT with a brake torque launch. My friend has a modded Neon with nitrous and it doesn't do much good. I've raced another that was ACR and won easily. All this w/o having the TC upgrade yet. Sorry.

  7. #21
    Registered User VetteVert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    820

    Re: Re:

    I won't question your choice. After all, it is your choice. But you might want to check on a few of your points. Mainly 6, 7, 11 , and 13

    VV

    Originally posted by bunot
    Why I bought an auto WRX: (not in order of importance)

    1. Higher resale/trade-in value.
    2. The way I drive, I save myself $$$ on tranny repairs annually.
    3. MT sux when driving thru Chicago's rush hour traffic.
    4. LUXURY BABY! No it's not a Benz, but it's not an Escort either!
    5. 4EAT maintains steady boost, better than MT.
    6. 4EATs have better suspension system than MT WRXs.
    7. The fastest WRXs are 4EATs
    8. Having my right hand free from shifting, I can use it to punch in nitrous!!!! Whahahahaa!!!! or pick my nose, w/cever.
    9. Remote start won't be a hassle since I can put the car on park.
    10. The possibility of getting an upgraded torque converter to equal the MT WRXs in high RPM launches.
    11. Easier to operate a 4EAT when driving intoxicated.
    12. Easier to have a friend drive you home when you're way too intoxicated to even drive 4EAT.
    13. Someone told me the WRC car is 4EAT, pls. verify.

    I have dozens more reasons, but the point is, I have my reasons.

    Oh, and that Neon will not beat my 4EAT with a brake torque launch. My friend has a modded Neon with nitrous and it doesn't do much good. I've raced another that was ACR and won easily. All this w/o having the TC upgrade yet. Sorry.

  8. #22
    str
    str is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    543
    i saw a modded neon run 13's at the track
    2004 Black Forester XT

  9. #23
    Registered User bunot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    231

    Re:

    6. "WRX automatic transmission models have Variable Torque Distribution (VTD). VTD utilizes a planetary center differential in conjunction with an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch." (exact quote from Subaru website). It basically means that weight is transferred in a much better way w/ the 4EATs, when climbing, diving, turning, etc.

    7. Let me rephrase this..."AMONG the fastest WRXs are 4EATS." This is mostly based on 1/4 miles times people post on the i-club. I have no evidence if they are real or not. My point simply was that you can take a 4EAT and make it as fast as an MT easily.


  10. #24
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    the wrc car is MT

  11. #25
    Registered User Trypsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    584
    the wrc car is electo-hydraulic controlled sequential manual box with paddle shifter.

  12. #26
    Registered User VetteVert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    820

    Re: Re:

    Different gearbox, yes...but this isn't a "suspension system"....

    Also who are you talking about with the fast 4eats. All the fast cars are MT so far. I'm sure the 4eats (or rather TH350s and the like) will rule the strip before long.

    VV

    Originally posted by bunot
    6. "WRX automatic transmission models have Variable Torque Distribution (VTD). VTD utilizes a planetary center differential in conjunction with an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch." (exact quote from Subaru website). It basically means that weight is transferred in a much better way w/ the 4EATs, when climbing, diving, turning, etc.

    7. Let me rephrase this..."AMONG the fastest WRXs are 4EATS." This is mostly based on 1/4 miles times people post on the i-club. I have no evidence if they are real or not. My point simply was that you can take a 4EAT and make it as fast as an MT easily.


  13. #27
    Registered User SonicYellowWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,203
    Automatics arent bad... we all know its good points... but obviously something outweighs those and forces us to buy a manual. I personally had an Acura Integra AUTOMATIC that ran a best of 13.9@101mph. And the shift gate was straight up and down, allowing for easier shifting. It was cool and I think the computer actually LEARNED to shift hard after a while. Anyways, I know the automatic can shift faster than a manual... typically with a torque converter and a shift kit... and this goes back to muscle car days. Now, something else that could totally enhance the auto is a magical box that allows you to set how hard you shift, how fast, AND it allows you to control the shifts! www.levelten.com had all this stuff for the Acura Integra, but I dunno if its available for the Subey.

    As for me, despite not being able to drive a stick very well, I went with a stick. I drove an automatic and the LAG was HORRIBLE! I would punch the gas and slowly it starts to crawl up... 3000rpm hits and yes it pushes you into your seat, but the time it took to get there was REALLY BAD!! Plus... do you know how much a auto tranny rebuild is?!?! It was $900 for an 87 Honda Accord! That is more than the car is worth!!! So I am looking to keep my car for a long time and fixing a manual is much easier and cheaper than an automatic. My previous automatic showed many signs of wear and probably should be rebuilt, but i never did cuz it costs about $1000... more for a performance rebuild.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

  14. #28
    Registered User VetteVert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    820
    Check on MT rebuild prices FOR SUBARUs...we don't drive Hondas. It costs out the rear! 2 grand for a stock box, and 3-5 grand JUST for upgraded gears (dog or synchro)

    VV

    Originally posted by SonicYellowWRX
    Automatics arent bad... we all know its good points... but obviously something outweighs those and forces us to buy a manual. I personally had an Acura Integra AUTOMATIC that ran a best of 13.9@101mph. And the shift gate was straight up and down, allowing for easier shifting. It was cool and I think the computer actually LEARNED to shift hard after a while. Anyways, I know the automatic can shift faster than a manual... typically with a torque converter and a shift kit... and this goes back to muscle car days. Now, something else that could totally enhance the auto is a magical box that allows you to set how hard you shift, how fast, AND it allows you to control the shifts! www.levelten.com had all this stuff for the Acura Integra, but I dunno if its available for the Subey.

    As for me, despite not being able to drive a stick very well, I went with a stick. I drove an automatic and the LAG was HORRIBLE! I would punch the gas and slowly it starts to crawl up... 3000rpm hits and yes it pushes you into your seat, but the time it took to get there was REALLY BAD!! Plus... do you know how much a auto tranny rebuild is?!?! It was $900 for an 87 Honda Accord! That is more than the car is worth!!! So I am looking to keep my car for a long time and fixing a manual is much easier and cheaper than an automatic. My previous automatic showed many signs of wear and probably should be rebuilt, but i never did cuz it costs about $1000... more for a performance rebuild.

  15. #29
    Registered User SonicYellowWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,203
    Originally posted by VetteVert
    Check on MT rebuild prices FOR SUBARUs...we don't drive Hondas. It costs out the rear! 2 grand for a stock box, and 3-5 grand JUST for upgraded gears (dog or synchro)

    VV

    uhm... DAMN? well, dont tell me the AUTO is cheaper to rebuild...
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

  16. #30
    Registered User VetteVert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    820
    I have no idea, but I plan to trade up to an STI if it ever gets here for this very reason.

    VV

    Originally posted by SonicYellowWRX


    uhm... DAMN? well, dont tell me the AUTO is cheaper to rebuild...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •