Subaru WRX Forum banner

The unofficial STX wheel thread

18K views 166 replies 19 participants last post by  Big Sky WRX 
#1 ·
I'm starting to look at 17x8 wheels and figured I'd pass on what I've gleamed thus far- approx weights/prices/offsets

I've kind of cut things off at ~ 17 lbs

In no particular order

5Zigen FN 01RC ~ price $200, et 48, 17 lbs

Motegi Traklite ~ price $275, et 45, 14.5 lbs

Weds TC105N ~ price $375, et 42, 14.8 lbs

Kosei K1 TS ~ price $240, et 45, 15.5 lbs

Enkei RS+M ~ price $280, et 45, 16.0 lbs

Enkei RPF1 ~ price $240, et 45, 15.5 lbs

OZ Racing Ultraleggera ~ price $265, et 48, 17.4 lbs

SSR CS ~ price $400, et 49, 15.0 lbs

will be adding a some of Volk's offerings soon

if anyone knows of any other wheels- 17x8 in the 17ish under range LMK

See less See more
#123 ·
I had written another note earlier, but the blody %*&%^%&#$ system failed as I tried to post it...

*mumbles* stupid server...:mad:

If they are shipping the new ones, they need to hurry the heck up...

Or get a couple of 225/50r16's in stock... $65 race tires would make my wallet happy :)

#131 · (Edited)
I need to roll rear fenders.

Finally got the wheels and tires on. Took it out for a spin, started leaning into turns progressively harder when I heard this unfamiliar noise a few times. I get out and have a look. Sure enough I could see / feel some of the fender strip missing.

Will your basic rear fender roll make this setup roll smoothly? I hope so ...

#136 ·
Yes, it would be minus the rub. The offset does not help - 42. Am I forever screwed with 17 x 8 +42? I know mid - high 40's is ideal. 4mm to 8mm means a lot here I guess. :(

The rubbing is on the inside - I thought the pics showed this(?).

Can we have a pic of the whole car?
No. :p It badly needs a bath and I did not have the center caps yet (they finally arrived today). Yes, the WRX looked bada$$ with the 245s - I have taken them off.

I am going to cut my losses and sell the 245/40/17 and go with 225/45/17 (I hope they fit OK). I am quite bummed about this.

If I was a competitive driver with an equally competitive car I would do the roll. I am not and my WRX is a DD first. My concern is the wear the unprotected fenders will see once rolled. There is a fair amount of gravel between here and where I work. JR commented on the lower plastic part of the rear fenders - they look shot blasted. WRX paint is ... well we know.

#137 ·
inside as inboard against the strut? lower offset HELPS here- if your rubbing inboard a thin spacer will do the trick

if your rubbing outboard, remove the rubber strips and roll the fender- it's painless I promise :)

#138 ·
No, I meant outside (fender). I just got off of the phone with JR and discussed that (and much region stuff) - my best option is to go with the 225/45/17. Thanks for the encouragement.

#151 · (Edited)
They ride noticeably harsher than the Falkens and are noisier. The early indications are these are very grippy tires. I have pushed them fairly hard through some familiar back road turns – they feel like they have more stick to offer up. The real test is on 4/20 http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/index.html $130 each in 225/45/17 from the Tire Rack. Seems like a great deal. :)

More wheel weight info: I weighed the 17" x 7" OZs I have on the same scale I used on the Weds: the OZs are 15.9 lbs. each - the 17" x 8" Weds are 15.3. :D

#153 ·
Thanks Mike. :) This thread was the sole reason I went with the Weds. The TC105N is the least expensive forged 17" x 8" wheel I could find. Being a half pound+ lighter than my 17" x 7" OZs is a nice bonus.

#154 ·
My wheels finally came in! 17x8 traklites! first, some pics:

get low

up close and personal (don't look at my rusty rotors!):

When I got my rotas, I didn't notice how heavy they were until I switched over to my OE wheels in the winter. Ever since then, I sort of regretted not spending the extra loot on a nice lightweight set of wheels. Since some time has past and I'm into AutoX'n, I decided, why not! ...even then, most of the wheels listed were WAY too expensive for my tastes (even though knowing what I know now, spending more would be worth it). So my choices were limited. At the top of the list were the RPF1s, but I decided to go with something I didn't see that often.
Enter the traklites. I shaved something like 4 lbs/corner, got half an inch wider, and got a rather unique look. The car feels peppier and definitley starts from a stop faster. It brakes like its noones business. In fact, its like I'm floating on air. The butt dyno doesn't lie. So I'm really happy w/em :cool:.

#157 ·
O.Z.'s new wheel!

Alright time to add another wheel to the light weight list!

O.Z. Racing just came out with a new wheel...

17x8 15.4lbs

With gasp...

WRX FITMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OZ - Inside the excellence since 1971 - Alleggerita HLT

Me likey!!!!!!

Glad I didn't spring for wheels already! Tire Rack has them for $330 each!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.