STX ecu options
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on STX ecu options within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently added an uppipe and shorty downpipe to my wagon, and now it's time for me to look into ...

STX ecu options

I recently added an uppipe and shorty downpipe to my wagon, and now it's time for me to look into tuning options. I autox, and I'm trying to stay within STX so that I won't be too far out of my league. The main two tuning options I've come up with are Accessport and open source tuning.

The AP is more expensive to start with, but offers fairly safe off the shelf maps, and I can switch between a street map (normal stage 2) and a autox map (STX stage 2). Open source would also allow switching (albeit I would need to bring a laptop along), but I would need to create the map from scratch. I have done a lot of reading on tuning, and I know you cannot alter boost or wastegate cycles in STX, but I'm still not all that comfortable tuning it myself yet. Also, by the time I get a wideband, EGT gauge, etc., the cost will start creeping up close to the AP.

Are there any other reasonable options out there? Does anyone have any other advice to offer? Right now I'm leaning towards the AP, but I want to make sure I've done my homework before making a decision.

Mods, if you think this belongs more in the engine management forum, please move it, but I thought I might get a more direct response from the rest of the autox crowd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would say this:

If you want to switch between the STX and Stage 2 maps, I would go with the AP. You can use open source to do this, but I haven't heard of the ability to swap real-time maps. I know that the community was working on it, but I haven't heard that it has happened yet.

If you want the best STX map you can get for your car, then go open source and have a trusted tuner make a custom map for you. Even if you go this route you can flash an XPT Stage 2 map, but it's not going to be as easy as using the AP.

My $0.02.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I know the real-time switching hasn't been figuring out yet for open source, but I was even considering keeping two maps and just flashing a different map a few days before an autox. That would be a short term solution until real-time is figured out, but still rather impractical.

I'm not really competitive enough to bother getting some custom map made by a tuner, which is part of why I'm leaning towards the AP. Just thought I'd ask around in case there were any other options or opinions...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ecutek is also an option- you need a tuner (but not necessarily local), but w/ easy ecu (include delta dash w/ it) you can upload any map your tuner provides- you can also log via delta dash, send the logs to your tuner via email- he can then fine tune and send you another map.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Ah, I hadn't really looked into Ecutek. I'll have to do a bit more research on them. I had read a lot of complaints both here and NASIOC about them, so I didn't really think to check them out - but like I said, I don't know very much about them. The idea of having a professional make a map specifically for my car is appealing, but it's a matter of whether or not I can justify the cost.

The sense of urgency of me getting engine management has slightly decreased, too. When I put Stromung shorty downpipe on, I did not have an O2 sensor socket on hand, so I could not install the mechanical CEL fix. I figured a code was imminent, and I expected the car to not run particularly well untuned. However, over a week later, 300 miles later, and 5 autox runs later, I still have no CEL, the car runs surprisingly smoothly untuned, and I still managed 24 MPG with mixed driving (including the autox). I still plan on getting EM next, but it is not as urgent in my mind as it was at first.

For what you're doing I don't see Ecutek as having ANY advantages over OpenECU.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    For what you're doing I don't see Ecutek as having ANY advantages over OpenECU.
    As I do more reading, the only advantage I could possibly see for me is having an easier time finding a reputable tuner for ecutek over open source, just because I don't know of anyone nearby that tunes with it.

Next weekend I'll try to talk to a few more of the local STX guys and see if they know of any local tuners that deal with opensource. So far, everyone I've talked to locally seems to be using an AP, which is the route I'm still leaning towards.

Banned
    Go with the AP, I would have if I new what a pain in the ass self tuning is + I live in utah COBB's headquarters complete w/ awd dyno

You and I are running pretty similar setups. I've got a V1 AccessPort, and it's worked out great.

I actually just leave the car in STX mode all the time instead of swapping out for the Stage-2. It's not much slower, and it means that I'm more used to how the engine handles when I'm on the course.
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

http://www.getadomtune.com

If you want a good open source tuner .

You just need a laptop , tactrix cable, Ecu flash 1.3, and some sort of logging software(enginuity). send him your logs (via email) and he will send you corrections and you flash the new map on your ecu and your good to go !

This is the way i went and i love it !
    Last edited by BallaRex; 07-14-2007 at 03:47 PM.
    2006 OBP Limited WRX
    Dom tuned, (getadomtune.com), Blitz ner spec catback, Perrin Front and Rear sway bars and Endlinks, Tein S-tech springs, GM boost control solienod, K and N drop intake.

Quote Originally Posted by houdini View Post
    You and I are running pretty similar setups. I've got a V1 AccessPort, and it's worked out great.

I actually just leave the car in STX mode all the time instead of swapping out for the Stage-2. It's not much slower, and it means that I'm more used to how the engine handles when I'm on the course.
    That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. I don't know how often I'd actually use the map switching; it would probably depend on which map has healthier A/F ratios and timing for daily driving. I doubt there would be much of a difference between the two, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BallaRex View Post
    I hadn't heard of him before. I just checked out his site, and that is the sort of thing I'd be looking for if I went the open source route - someone with a good reputation. Did you get a wideband or not? I saw that he recommends them but does not require them.

No wideband yet
    2006 OBP Limited WRX
    Dom tuned, (getadomtune.com), Blitz ner spec catback, Perrin Front and Rear sway bars and Endlinks, Tein S-tech springs, GM boost control solienod, K and N drop intake.

Quote Originally Posted by BallaRex View Post
    http://www.getadomtune.com

If you want a good open source tuner .

You just need a laptop , tactrix cable, Ecu flash 1.3, and some sort of logging software(enginuity). send him your logs (via email) and he will send you corrections and you flash the new map on your ecu and your good to go !

This is the way i went and i love it !
    you still paying him 45 dollars even if you didnt send him a log that month? (cause he says that internet tuning is $45/month)
    I'm saying, what else is there to do besides relax?
    Let the problems in your mind, become ancient artifacts. Perhaps, these raps, can help you alleviate,
    the things thats got you trippin', now whatch me demonsrtate. First you, ignore the non-sense
    and clear your conscience, let your pen touch the paper, write verbs and consonants.
    As the words become a sentence, you start to feel indifferent. The stress is out your mind,
    you feel like the weight was lifted. Terrific.

You pay per. month when you want to have somthing done...

So say you want a re-flash, you pay $45 and then you get to do all the flashing you need for that month and then the next month if you dont need anything done, you cancel it and then you can just pay when you want somthing done.
    2006 OBP Limited WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.