F1 Ferrari Sabotage?

This is a discussion on F1 Ferrari Sabotage? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/10233932 Originally Posted by CBS MARANELLO, Italy -- Ferrari filed a criminal complaint accusing a British team member of attempted ...

F1 Ferrari Sabotage?

http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/10233932

Quote Originally Posted by CBS
    MARANELLO, Italy -- Ferrari filed a criminal complaint accusing a British team member of attempted sabotage before the Monaco Grand Prix.
    Advertisement

Nigel Stepney, a technician who is responsible for team performance, was cited in the deposition in a Modena court, Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni said Friday.

A mysterious powder was found on the gas tanks of Felipe Massa's and Kimi Raikkonen's cars on May 21, six days before the Monaco race, the Gazzetta dello Sport and the Italian news agency ANSA reported.

The parts were replaced before the race and the powder was sent to the police to be examined.

Massa finished third in the race and Raikkonen was eighth.

ANSA reported Stepney was disappointed that he was not promoted to technical director when Ross Brawn left the team after last season. Stepney criticized Ferrari in an interview with a British newspaper and the team responded by not sending him to races anymore.

Ferrari said it has also started an internal investigation against Stepney, but that he is still employed by the team. It would not provide information on his whereabouts.

Ferrari is struggling to keep up with McLaren-Mercedes this season.

McLaren drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso are 1-2 in the driver's standings, while Massa and Raikkonen are third and fourth. In the team standings, McLaren holds a 35-point lead on Ferrari after seven of 17 races.
    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    Quite a bizzare story. I hope it turns out to be a mistake but the people on the Ferrari forum are about ready to crucify Stepney already.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

excuses, excuses
    ~Selah

I Support ClubWRX
    Gazzetta dello Sport would be considered yellow press except it's published on pink paper. It's still hardly The Financial Times. Besides, MC was 2 GPs ago and Ferrari have not been on pace in the meantime.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely seems hard to believe.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It's still hardly The Financial Times. Besides, MC was 2 GPs ago and Ferrari have not been on pace in the meantime.
    I don't their trying to make an excuse for their current performance but just that something may have been done to effect Monaco or least an attempt was made. Monaco was pretty bad, and Ferrari hasn't really been THAT far off of Mclaren in the races before or after.

It definitely seems pretty weird. No stranger than when Toyota was busted for industrial espionage when stealing some Ferrari file in 04.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 06-22-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I don't their trying to make an excuse for their current performance but just that something may have been done to effect Monaco or least an attempt was made. Monaco was pretty bad, and Ferrari hasn't really been THAT far off of Mclaren in the races before or after.

It definitely seems pretty weird. No stranger than when Toyota was busted for industrial espionage when stealing some Ferrari file in 04.
    The sabotage thing is weird. Apparently they found it before the GP though and replaced all parts.

I heard the wind tunnel at Maranello had a problem with the rolling road at full speed....which cause all kinds of other damage. It has not worked since just before Spain. So they have not been able to fully test their aero package. Kimi mentioned that they will have a new aero package for France so the speculation is it is at least partially back online. I would think this is probably a legit reason for the lagging performance in the last few races.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers View Post
    I heard the wind tunnel at Maranello had a problem with the rolling road at full speed....which cause all kinds of other damage. It has not worked since just before Spain. So they have not been able to fully test their aero package. Kimi mentioned that they will have a new aero package for France so the speculation is it is at least partially back online. I would think this is probably a legit reason for the lagging performance in the last few races.
    Hmm interesting I hadn't heard that.
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Hmm interesting I hadn't heard that.
    one article

Hopefully we will see an improvement.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan