US GP: FOX worse than ever
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on US GP: FOX worse than ever within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, it was almost a race this time! Granted, the two lead teams were racing in-house only, but Ferrari are ...

I Support ClubWRX

US GP: FOX worse than ever

Well, it was almost a race this time! Granted, the two lead teams were racing in-house only, but Ferrari are back, McLaren are still winning, and Kovalainen was up in 5th after his 4th in CA. Vettel made a day of it too, and Kubica should be back for FR.

I can't stand Fox TV any more. Their OTA digital broadcast was IMO not HD (can anyone confirm?). They managed to shove more commercials into a single GP than I've seen in recent memory, and they also strangled the picture with rubbish like Bart Simpson's head at one stage, plus silly cartoon cars advertising their next round of bad coverage. They had Varsha advertising... baseball during the GP. I ended up giving up on them and switching to a DVRed copy I was making from my sat dish instead -- at least then I could skip the nonsense that wasn't actually embedded into the GP itself, but the embedded stuff was criminal in its own right.

The GP itself was good in that it brought out both the good (insane speeds, incredible tech, superb talents) and the bad (difficulty passing, skyrocketing costs, reliability issues) of modern F1. One thing I can't figure out though is the fascination the announcing team seem to have with Mark Webber. He gets mentioned more every GP than everyone used to name drop **** Trickle simply to hear themselves say that on TV.

Alonso's charge on Hamilton down the long straight was fun to watch, and would only be possible in Indianapolis anyway since the organizers seem to want to hang on to a portion of the oval track no matter what (this isn't something I'm interested in seeing, and it IMO only helps the sport to the extent that Bernie can get American money, no more).

Too bad Sato DNFed. Davidson's pass on Button maintained the cheeky attitude at Super Agouri though and hopefully next week Sato can pass Raikkonen or someone like that. I think Ralf Schumacher would make a great announcer for RTL or Eurosport next year, and if that falls through he could always partner with his brother and open up a family restaurant.

Upon viewing the GP again, I have to say Alex vs. Tony and Giancarlo vs. Jenson was real racing. Side to side through the corners, nobody yielding, a few cms apart in the tightest parts of the track. Good stuff there, and bravo to the director that showed us the battles vs. just focusing on the front 4 lapping over and over again.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-17-2007 at 03:27 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Well, it was almost a race this time! Granted, the two lead teams were racing in-house only, but Ferrari are back, McLaren are still winning, and Kovalainen was up in 5th after his 4th in CA. Vettel made a day of it too, and Kubica should be back for FR.

I can't stand Fox TV any more. Their OTA digital broadcast was IMO not HD (can anyone confirm?). They managed to shove more commercials into a single GP than I've seen in recent memory, and they also strangled the picture with rubbish like Bart Simpson's head at one stage, plus silly cartoon cars advertising their next round of bad coverage. They had Varsha advertising... baseball during the GP. I ended up giving up on them and switching to a DVRed copy I was making from my sat dish instead -- at least then I could skip the nonsense that wasn't actually embedded into the GP itself, but the embedded stuff was criminal in its own right.

The GP itself was good in that it brought out both the good (insane speeds, incredible tech, superb talents) and the bad (difficulty passing, skyrocketing costs, reliability issues) of modern F1. One thing I can't figure out though is the fascination the announcing team seem to have with Mark Webber. He gets mentioned more every GP than everyone used to name drop **** Trickle simply to hear themselves say that on TV.

Alonso's charge on Hamilton down the long straight was fun to watch, and would only be possible in Indianapolis anyway since the organizers seem to want to hang on to a portion of the oval track no matter what (this isn't something I'm interested in seeing, and it IMO only helps the sport to the extent that Bernie can get American money, no more).

Too bad Sato DNFed. Davidson's pass on Button maintained the cheeky attitude at Super Agouri though and hopefully next week Sato can pass Raikkonen or someone like that. I think Ralf Schumacher would make a great announcer for RTL or Eurosport next year, and if that falls through he could always partner with his brother and open up a family restaurant.

Upon viewing the GP again, I have to say Alex vs. Tony and Giancarlo vs. Jenson was real racing. Side to side through the corners, nobody yielding, a few cms apart in the tightest parts of the track. Good stuff there, and bravo to the director that showed us the battles vs. just focusing on the front 4 lapping over and over again.
    I have to agree with pretty much every thing you said. I really like watching Hamilton drive and am so happy to see Alonso struggling with it. The Media fueled soap opera makes it that much better...

Fox stinks...but since I don't have speed right now I am happy to catch the races real time...instead of having to wait for them to be on bit torrent. I found the comments that the one announcer...can't remember which it was now about Hamilton "Blocking" to be a bit over the top...he was racing...there was nothing flagrant going on there IMHO. Jensen and Giancarlo was a great fight. Can't wait to France.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The crowd seemed a bit sparse.Are there going to be future F1 races at Indy?
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    The crowd seemed a bit sparse.Are there going to be future F1 races at Indy?
    Bernie will let us know come July. The grandstands did look empty, but that's not an issue if Bernie makes money. The question is, did he make money?

The track looked well done but there's a huge tree in the way of some camera angles, and they've got that straight in there that's part of the oval, plus there's no elevation changes to speak of save for the banking on the silly oval bit. The US could do better and frankly I doubt the historic significance of the site is of importance to many non-US fans. Still, even a provincialized GP is better than none.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wonder if they would ever consider a return to Watkins Glen?
    Bugeye Mafia #337

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd love to see Watkins Glen GPs in our lifetime but I think it'd take more money than many nations spend on health care to get a FIA and driver OK'ed track up and running again over there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah,you're probably right.It's just too damn bad there isn't more interest in F1 here.You would think everyone that is into racing would want to see these awesome cars.
    Bugeye Mafia #337

Fox didn't have it on till 2pm because the SF giants were playing (seriously **** baseball). I wasn't home at that time so I taped it, but haven't watched it yet. Couldn't stop myself from looking at the results though.

I went to the Indianapolis grand prix once (that was in 05 unfortunately) and I would really love to see it somewhere else. Indianapolis has to be one of the dullest places I've ever been.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 06-17-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I was there too at indy on 05 with only 6 cars running... it was the most disappointing race in formula 1 and also for ferrari... well i also went to the montreal GP 2week ago and it was awesome... i was sitting in stand 24 at the hairpin and saw the crash of Kubica it was really bad.... but the whole gp was realllllllly goood... i am glad that i saw history in the making and it was awesome... I have never seen sooo much safety car before, it was around four times the car came out... There was two highlight of the GP and it was first Lewis and the second and most exciting part was when Sato overtake Alonso.... that was soooooo good.... And i am glad that Alonso now have to work really hard for his win, he has to fight for it with his team mate.... I would want to see Lewis VS Michael in the same car and see what will happen.... i think ppl all over the world will watch that....
    Freddie WRX

NSM
    Lewis dropped by the Mercedes suite before the race. He was really relaxed and calm. Fernando dropped by the night before. Both were great to talk to...

When will Subaru step up and field a team???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 063.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NSM View Post
    Lewis dropped by the Mercedes suite before the race. He was really relaxed and calm. Fernando dropped by the night before. Both were great to talk to...

When will Subaru step up and field a team???
    Man that kid has the world by the nads.
    Bugeye Mafia #337

OP, how were you watching the broadcast (ie-cable, sat)? 99% of HD programming is not actually HD by true definition. HD is commonly compressed because the bandwidth just isn't there yet. companies like comcast compress the video so much to make room for channels that it looks okay (not nearly as good as true HD) unless there's quick movement, and then it looks like pixelated crap. to save money, some companies just run anamorphic standard def signals to their HD lines. in my professional opinion, the last three Gps' (US, FR & BR) were all anamorphic SD. there is a chance that it was a ridiculously compressed HD signal, and that's why i asked what you were watching it on.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWorks View Post
    OP, how were you watching the broadcast (ie-cable, sat)?
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Their OTA digital broadcast was IMO not HD (can anyone confirm?)... I ended up giving up on them and switching to a DVRed copy I was making from my sat dish instead
    My disappointment was with the OTA broadcast, and I believe it was SD. My sat is E* but on E* I was definitely watching SD. That FOX would broadcast SD OTA when they have HD source (I imagine?) is a shame.

Fox's coverage was even worse for the British GP.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.