CA GP: BMW steals the show

This is a discussion on CA GP: BMW steals the show within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, after a few busy days I've finally gotten 'round to posting something about Sunday's GP. Hamilton's win was IMO ...

I Support ClubWRX

CA GP: BMW steals the show

Well, after a few busy days I've finally gotten 'round to posting something about Sunday's GP. Hamilton's win was IMO a given, and actually one of the lest interesting aspects of the GP (unless you're Hamilton).

Kubica drove off the next day despite running out of real estate and making a huge mess in front of all those people. In the past, he'd have been dead at the scene. Although FIA would love to take credit for all the safety advances, I think the drivers themselves and the engineers deserve it instead.

The low-use track and the low-drag settings made it easy to spin off but that doesn't excuse Alonso's performance. Heidfeld may have saved the season for fans with his drive. I hope to see Raikkonen come back while we're all still young.

Massa's brother dressed up for brunch in 1987 to be on TV, all he was missing were sockless penny loafers. As for Massa himself, getting black flagged is amazing. In F1, it's not like Italy, the red lights are real. Giancarlo got caught up in the same mess and it's just a shame.

I think special mention should be made of the broadcast coverage. What a disorganized soup-in-salad amateurish nightmare. Every time something happened they had to go back to it since they were actually airing commercials about mortgages or tampons or whatever. When something actually did take place while they were on the air, they missed the boat routinely and didn't make the right calls. If I wanted to do that I could do it on my own, I didn't need to have them there. The network then cut the broadcast short in order to return to their scheduled crap. Amazing.

Still, the season is more interesting than most in memory. The US GP is coming up, and it's always had the potential to be an absolute fiasco, so that should keep things spicy for fans. My hope is that it rains in Indiana Sunday, that Ferrari get their act together, and that nobody decides to stop the broadcast to air more golf.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I think special mention should be made of the broadcast coverage. What a disorganized soup-in-salad amateurish nightmare. Every time something happened they had to go back to it since they were actually airing commercials about mortgages or tampons or whatever. When something actually did take place while they were on the air, they missed the boat routinely and didn't make the right calls. If I wanted to do that I could do it on my own, I didn't need to have them there. The network then cut the broadcast short in order to return to their scheduled crap. Amazing.

My hope is that it rains in Indiana Sunday, that Ferrari get their act together, and that nobody decides to stop the broadcast to air more golf.
    +1
    except the ferrari part
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

It was a very interesting race. I thought Alonso's drive showed just how rattled Hamilton has him. His comments afterwards were interesting and highlight just how much he hates competition from his team mate, something the Renault team indicate earlier this year.

Heidfeld's drive was great and it was nice to see a couple new teams on the podium.

I feel bad for Massa and Giancarlo, I saw a quote from Todt where he put more blame on the team for not keeping their driver informed...I think the FIA is definitely trying to set some examples though.

One big highlight for me was Sato's pass on Alonso....I loved it!

Kubica's crash was spectacular, as SD mentioned a few years back he would not have walked away from that one.

I wish someone got a video of Davidson hitting the woodchuck on the back straight.

The broadcast was not great, but there was some good camera placement.

The US GP could be good. I hope Kimi makes it back to the podium...I think Massa has been consistently quick and I think he would have been there Sunday if he did not get the black flag.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

I Support ClubWRX
    One big highlight for me was Sato's pass on Alonso....I loved it!
    Yes, the reigning World Driving Champion passed by some guy in a car cobbled together from last year's parts bin spares. That, plus his initial off into the grass at start (turn 1) and his dart across the track as the cars were coming, characterized his GP IMO. He did show either enormous class or luck though, as he only let Heidfeld through while not skipping places (keeping the rules) and not causing a massive collision.

I wish someone got a video of Davidson hitting the woodchuck on the back straight.
    I don't think he hit it. I think the mammal survived.

The US GP could be good. I hope Kimi makes it back to the podium...I think Massa has been consistently quick and I think he would have been there Sunday if he did not get the black flag.

They managed a minor collision amongst themselves within 5 seconds of starting the GP. Almost a Prost-Senna moment, very sentimental in a way.

Pray for rain, it'll shake things up considerably and make what is essentially the worst track of the season (save for MC, but that's an exception) into something potentially spectacular.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I thought that was the reason Davidson came into the pits sans pit crew.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

It was a pretty crazy race. I couldn't believe Alonso went off on that corner at the same time. Yet again Massa did fairly well only to make a catastrophic mistake, this time getting a black flag.

Kubica's crash actually made the local news here. It's probably the only time I've seen them say anything about F1 which is kind of lame.

Well at least Sato's pass on a Alonso and Hamiltons win made me feel slightly less disappointed with the results. Theres a lot of races less and I'm hoping Ferrari can get itself together.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 06-14-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers View Post
    I thought that was the reason Davidson came into the pits sans pit crew.
    Then we're talking about two different incidents. I thought it was Davidson who nearly dispatched a rodent during practice.

Then we're talking about two different incidents. I thought it was Davidson who nearly dispatched a rodent during practice.
    No, did you see when he came into the pits and the crew was not out ready for him? Apparently he hit a woodchuck on the back straight and needed to replace his nose cone. They papers quoted him as saying he hit a beaver...I guess an Englishman can not identify his rodents at high speed from the cockpit of an F1 car.

I Support ClubWRX
    You are absolutely correct, it was in fact Davidson.

Somebody did in a pigeon in Indianapolis this AM but I forgot who. Maybe Schumacher? Poor creatures.

You are absolutely correct, it was in fact Davidson.

Somebody did in a pigeon in Indianapolis this AM but I forgot who. Maybe Schumacher? Poor creatures.
    Who was it that hit a deer last year at Road America.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't follow US racing but that was I think Da Matta during testing.