Formula 1 is popular. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Formula 1 is popular. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by se7en F1 is by far the most popular motorsport in the world. Rallying is the de facto ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    F1 is by far the most popular motorsport in the world.
    Rallying is the de facto most popular motorsport, as the live crowds it draws cannot physically be surpassed. F1 TV broadcasts are sold to more markets, though, that's true. However, rallying remains more popular simply by the way it is held -- on public roads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoy most racing but I watch and enjoy Nascar the most regularly.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by capnChunk View Post
    Wow - that's some serious pent up F1 rage. My comment was not some glowing comment on the market capitalization of NASCAR - it's that somehow driving the same car as everyone else into left turns has become such a marketing monster. It's the marketing that keeps these races running. If F1 or WRC or KART or anything else stopped making money - it wouldn't be on TV. Ferrarri even has a deal to brand laptops through Acer. It's all dollars.

Besides - I'd like to see F1 and WRC get more popular and sell t-shirts and make NBA levels of money. F1 and WRC still allow for innovation and developement of cars - which eventually trickle down to the four door cars we all drive.
    Hmmm... F1 rage? No, not at all. I was simply saying that F1 is in a league of it's own and can't be compared to NASCAR in terms of popularity/viewers. Business is business, that part is all the same when it comes to cash flow for each motorsport. So I'm sorry if you felt like I was trying to attack you.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Rallying is the de facto most popular motorsport, as the live crowds it draws cannot physically be surpassed. F1 TV broadcasts are sold to more markets, though, that's true. However, rallying remains more popular simply by the way it is held -- on public roads.
    I agree, except F1 is by far the most popular motorsport (Sport? Only other sport I can think of that would come close would be European Futbol) when it comes to live broadcast. WRC is most popular for public viewing. Is that what you're saying because the first sentence is somewhat... weird?
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

I Support ClubWRX
    I like F1, I like NASCAR, and I like WRC.

If they would race the WRC cars against each other instead of a clock, I would watch no other.

Well, it looks like there is only one thing to do. We need to put 12" travel suspensions and dirt tires on the F1 cars and send them through the backroads. Introducing WRF1C. Formula 1 cars doing rally! Woohoo!
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    I agree, except F1 is by far the most popular motorsport (Sport? Only other sport I can think of that would come close would be European Futbol) when it comes to live broadcast. WRC is most popular for public viewing. Is that what you're saying because the first sentence is somewhat... weird?
    Basically yes, and I also agree that only football can get better ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I like F1, I like NASCAR, and I like WRC.

If they would race the WRC cars against each other instead of a clock, I would watch no other.
    European rallycross championships are basically just that, although they don't follow WRC rules (they are wilder).

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    Well, it looks like there is only one thing to do. We need to put 12" travel suspensions and dirt tires on the F1 cars and send them through the backroads. Introducing WRF1C. Formula 1 cars doing rally! Woohoo!
    Group B came close, with Toivonen posting a time in a Delta S4 that'd allow him to qualify... sixth in that year's Spanish GP.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

European rallycross championships are basically just that, although they don't follow WRC rules (they are wilder).
    I HAVE to check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

Kinda puts a damper on trying to pass someone on those narrow ass dirt or gravel one-lane (or less) backroads huh?

Group B came close, with Toivonen posting a time in a Delta S4 that'd allow him to qualify... sixth in that year's Spanish GP.
    Group B cars just...scare me. Those were some nasty, rip-snorting, pissed off little machines. It's a shame they eliminated it. (I know, too many accidents and deaths, but on the flipside, everyone knew the risks when they got behind the wheel/beside the road to watch).
    As for nowadays, I don't even think the AMS Evo or the Big Valley STi would keep up with modern F1 cars...close maybe.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    I think they're working on something like that - watch the Dakar Rally sometime and see those dune buggies go.

F1 is the most recognize motor car racing ever... I have to watch every single race no matter what time it comes on... Even if i come home at 5:30 from a party and race starts at 7:30 i am there up and watchin.. There have to be something extreme for me to miss an F1 race.. I also watch practice and quali. for every race... I also loving watchin WRC when ever i can but there is hardly any feed for rallying.. I could never get into nascar at all... watchin cars travel at an average speed of 150-180 in a circle without braking.. but that is my opinion... I am fortunate to go to next week's canada grand prix for formula 1 and trust me i am going to enjoy myself to the maximum...
    Freddie WRX

You're in the same boat as myself Freddie! I don't watch the practice runs though, but I do watch the qualifying because it's VERY entertaining to watch. The idea behind the qualifying is quite unique and makes it exciting to watch because they only have a couple of hot laps that they can actually use.

And I'll be honest, I've never watched NASCAR qualifying so I have no idea what the set-up is. But that is cool if it is similar to the 3 round knock-out qualifying that F1 does.
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12