n00b drags
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on n00b drags within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I popped my cherry at test&tune night yesterday. I had a great time but realized i need LOTS of practice ...

n00b drags

I popped my cherry at test&tune night yesterday. I had a great time but realized i need LOTS of practice launching. I never had a r/t better than .304!, I suck. It was hot, about 85F, and i was nervous. This was my best time, and my worst r/t. I'm on the left, #549.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not to bad for a first time out. Gotta work it up a little at a time. I could see driving cutting two and a half tenths off that deal, and weather cutting another tenth without too much trouble and no modifications.

Went again, getting better. I find myself not concentrating on my launch and f***ing it up. Again, i'm #549.
    On a side note, the other guy here was one of those LS1gto's. Those things sound MEAN!

P.S. My outside temp read 92F when staging!
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Still #549 Getting better. I had a 1.807 60' on another run, wish it had been this one.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That last run was pretty good.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

ya, major improvements. pretty soon you'll find the times getting very consistent. then you'll fall into the modding trap. you'll mod and you'll mod and pretty soon your addicted to it. hate to tell you you'll never decide "well thats fast enough" or atleast not for long.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

I Support ClubWRX
    13.4 is now getting around the ave. time for an STi, so you have def. improved quite a bit.

With some cooler weather, you can still get a few tenths out of it
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    My best time stock was a 13.5, of course I only went twice while I was stock. Did you experience any bogging? I know I sure did until I figured out how to slip the clutch right.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Yeah, i bog less and less now. I can let out the clutch "quickly" at around 5k with my go foot on the way down and not bog much at all. It alot to coordinate at the tree. I also learned to shift earlier, helped alot.

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    I was launching at 5k too. The lights kinda throw me off on the count of I think I'm slightly retarded. I get staged up and I look at the tree and I get so fascinated with blinking lights I forget to go, then panic and totally forget how I was going to launch. I have to really force myself to pay attention or I do bad on the launch.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

I do the same thing. I really have to concentrate. Most of the time, immediately after the run, i cant remember exactly what i did. Hard to learn that way!

I Support ClubWRX
    Strap a video cam to the passenger headrest and aim it towards your footwell....you'll get foot action, RPMs and shifter action. It is a very good learning tool.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

60 ft. 1.734
    1/4 12.908
    MPH 103.52

I'm learning how to launch. My clutch is slipping just perfect, its really easy. Too bad i'll be replacing it soon. I'll have to relearn. Had a good time. Ran a bunch of 13.1's also.

Quote Originally Posted by 06PearlWRX View Post
    then you'll fall into the modding trap.

Huh?

Modding trap? What is this?

Surely THIS has not ever happened to ME!

hey tom, are they still doing the Tuesday night drags at IRP? It's been so long since i've been there and now I got this wrx...gotta see what the thing can do!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.