Rally Damage
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Rally Damage within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was out rallying my usual spot, however it had recently sprung up a lot of new grass due to ...

Rally Damage

I was out rallying my usual spot, however it had recently sprung up a lot of new grass due to the rain and it being Spring and all. This lead to some understeer. I was doing my loops, and one turn in particular was understeering every go-round. I was trying to feint into it with the momentum of the previous turn and this was working with mild success.
    Next lap around however, I had no horizontal momentum due to coming out of the last turn slower than normal and with no sliding motion, so I went into the bad understeering corner with too much speed, causing me to slide into the surrounding forest. I managed to avoid the first tree (magically) however, once I had ABS'd down to about 5 miles an hour, I hit a low branch, and then the rest of the tree.
    I got out and surveyed the damage, and saw this:

After freaking out, (which was entirely unnecessary, and unlike me) I popped open the hood, found it to be double layered, meaning I cant push the dent out from the inside, so I then decided to take a trip to AutoZone, and pick up a "pop-a-dent". I figured, hey cant mess it up any more right?

Wrong:

After some 45 minutes of scraping, I finally got all of the nasty glue stuff off. Out of the 5 applications I did, only 1 "popped" like it shows in the commercials, the 4 just stuck to the car as the dent began to return to normal. As you can see, when I went to remove one of the glue piles, it pulled off in a nice circle, WITH my paint.

Moral of the story:
    Dont rally unless you are prepared to screw stuff up.
    I suppose now my only options are buy a new hood (sexy CF maybe?) or go to a junkyard. If anyone could direct me to the address of an Austin, Texas area junkyard, that would be terrific.
    Christine the silver 03 WRX wagon
    Brought unto the world on 6/6/06
    May your evil be known around the world

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good luck with getting a new hood!

"You gotta pay to play."

Glad you're Okay!

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    damn !

www.allsubaru.com or go for a CF hood
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    "You gotta pay to play."

Glad you're Okay!
    Thanks, the worst I got was a few bug bites being out in the forest looking at the newly made cosmetic enhancement :rolls eyes:

And thanks Weasel 555 for that website!
    Christine the silver 03 WRX wagon
    Brought unto the world on 6/6/06
    May your evil be known around the world

Great excuse for a new CF hood
    New England F4

Hawk-Eye Alliance # 0711

I backed into a tree stump while off-roading in my subaru, put a big dent in the bottom of the rear bumper on the passenger side. I kicked it, and it popped back out. Got a little bit of brown scratches in the spot, I've left them there - I like it!

Subaru's are tough, I think they look a little better bumped and bruised. I've got trails on my hood and headlight where a tree dropped a large branch on the car during a storm. I've got deep scratches on the passenger side doors from when I hit a deer (knocked the passenger mirror clean off - replaced it with a new one). And I've got paint chipping off on the spot between the passenger headlight and the grille.

My Z is the nice car, my subaru is the fun car.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Banned
    [QUOTE=Micah;1929331]I backed into a tree stump while off-roading in my subaru, put a big dent in the bottom of the rear bumper on the passenger side. I kicked it, and it popped back out. Got a little bit of brown scratches in the spot, I've left them there - I like it!

[QUOTE=ERIKBROCKHOFF;1929394]
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I backed into a tree stump while off-roading in my subaru, put a big dent in the bottom of the rear bumper on the passenger side. I kicked it, and it popped back out. Got a little bit of brown scratches in the spot, I've left them there - I like it!

I'm the same way...I think my WRX looks tougher with the foglight dent

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.