WRC Sardinia May 18-20 talk/results

This is a discussion on WRC Sardinia May 18-20 talk/results within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It was in Sanremo that the WRC teams used to traditionally meet, but the event was moved to a new ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

WRC Sardinia May 18-20 talk/results

It was in Sanremo that the WRC teams used to traditionally meet, but the event was moved to a new location in 2004, yielding the honours to a completely different setting on the Mediterranean island of Sardinia.

The nature of the race itself was also transformed in the process. The asphalt of Sanremo gave way to the gravel surfaces of Sardinia, thereby changing the conditions in which the drivers perform their art.

If it is still relatively new on the calendar, Rally Sardinia is well-known amongst those who are passionate about the sport as it is in fact the Costa Smeralda, an event included in the Italian Rally Championship.

Petter Solberg won the inaugural WRC Rally Sardinia in 2004, while Sébastien Loeb won consecutively in 2005 and 2006. Marcus Grönholm will surely be more than interested in adding his name to that list.

www.swrt.com
    http://www.rally-live.com/wrc/en/index.shtml
    http://www.crash.net/home~cid~4.htm
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alright, what will be Petter's downfall this time? Engine? Drivetrain? Driver Error? Other? I hope he makes the podium this time. Downloading rallies without him in the running is getting boring, unless you root for Loeb and Gronholm.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXelent View Post
    Alright, what will be Petter's downfall this time? Engine? Drivetrain? Driver Error? Other? I hope he makes the podium this time. Downloading rallies without him in the running is getting boring, unless you root for Loeb and Gronholm.
    My guess is that he will have a bad spin, causing suspension damage and end up a respectable 8th.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i hope he finishes 1st , but i think he'll be 3rd
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Sports mad Chris Atkinson will go to great lengths to see some action.

Atko arrived in Sardinia last Sunday and found out that a stage of the famous Giro d'Italia bicycle race was passing across the Italian island the following day. The Aussie and Subaru World Rally Team engineer Pierre Genon got on their bikes and cycled a 120km round trip from the team's base in Olbia to view the cycling extravaganza.

Chris is giving his new crash helmet design its debut on Rally d'Italia-Sardegna. The lid features the orange and blue colours which featured in his previous designs, plus a number eight pool ball, in deference to the number on his Subaru Impreza WRC this season.

After completing the reconnaissance earlier in the week, Chris Atkinson's co-driver Stephane Prevot is pleased with the state of the roads. Prevot, who will start his second rally alongside Chris, said: "I think the organisers of this rally improve the stages every year. They've all been re-graded and they've clearly done a lot of work to get them in such nice condition. Normally we'd expect the surface to deteriorate a bit during the recce, but this year everybody had to complete the recce on regular tyres rather than the usual gravel items. It's a good idea and should help to keep the roads in better condition.

"British Rally Academy driver Simon Hughes spent shakedown day shadowing the Subaru World Rally Team. Hughes, who is part of the driver development scheme run by the MSA, which governs motorsport in Britain, met key members of the team and watched the action to see how a WRC squad operates.

On this event the Subaru World Rally Team is being tailed by a group of journalists from across Europe and Russia. The group, who are guests of the team and the Discovery Channel, are writing features to publicise the fly-on-the-wall documentary series Engineering The World Rally, filmed last year and about to be broadcast across the channel's European network. Among the group are representatives of magazines from Russia, Slovakia and the Ukraine.

Shakedown day has been special for Petter Solberg – his country of birth is celebrating Norway Day, and to commemorate the fact the Subaru star wore a ribbon featuring the colours of his country's flag on his overalls.

Press Release
    Subaru World Rally Team
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Leading shakedown times:

1. Daniel Sordo Citroen Total WRT C4 WRC 1mins 54.3secs M
    2. Mikko Hirvonen BP Ford Focus RS WRC 06 1mins 54.4secs M
    3. Marcus Gronholm BP Ford Focus RS WRC 06 1mins 54.6secs M
    4. Juho Hanninen MMSP Mitsubishi Lancer WRC05 1mins 55.3secs
    5. Petter Solberg Subaru WRT Impreza WRC 2006 1mins 55.5secs M
    6. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total WRT C4 WRC 1mins 55.7secs M
    7. Toni Gardemeister MMSP Mitsubishi Lancer WRC05 1mins 55.8secs
    8. Chris Atkinson Subaru WRT Impreza WRC 2006 1mins 55.9secs M
    9. Henning Solberg Stobart Ford Focus WRC 06 1mins 56.8secs M
    = Matthew Wilson Stobart Ford Focus WRC 06 1mins 56.8secs

rally starts fri
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Overall SS3:

1.Latvala - Ford - 51'45"8
    2.Gronholm - Ford - 51'47"3
    3.P.Solberg - Subaru - 51'52"6
    4.H.Solberg - Ford - 51'55"3
    5.Loeb - C4 - 51'56"2
    6.Atkinson - Subaru - 52'05"8
    7.Hirvonen - Ford - 52'07"4
    8.Gardemeister - Mitsu - 52'36"4
    9.Sordo - C4 - 52'36"5
    10.Hanninen - Mitsu - 53'01"7
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    from rally-live.com

The day's second loop ends with another pass over the rock-strewn and narrowly precise road of Monte Olia.

By winning a second consecutive stage, Sébastien Loeb broke the string which saw five different drivers taking the first five stages of the day. The Citroën driver accomplished a fastest time of 14'30"9, taking the rally lead as his rival continued on despite mechanical problems.

Mikko Hirvonen followed into second place for the works Ford team, taking 3.5 seconds longer than Loeb did to cover the distance.

Dani Sordo took third in the other Citroën team C4 as his confidence grew after set-up adjustments at half-day, also taking 3.5 seconds longer than his predecessor in the process.

Stobart driver Henning Solberg continued on a steady course by coming in fourth after losing out to Sordo by only 00'00"3. Toni Gardemeister took the fifth slot aboard a Mitsubishi Lancer WRC, his highest position so far within the rally.

Marcus Grönholm drove a limping works Ford Focus across the finish line after breaking a suspension. The former rally leader finished his run a full 25 seconds behind Loeb, bringing an end to all hopes of holding on to the day's lead.

Petter Solberg, also suffering from mechanical problems – loss of braking power – followed closely in sixth place.

Manfred Stohl came next in eighth for the OMV Kronos Citroën team, with Matthew Wilson following in ninth for Stobart and Gareth MacHale taking tenth at the wheel of another Ford Focus.

In the overall standings, Sébastien Loeb is now at the top with a lead of 00'22"4 over Marcus Grönholm. Mikko Hirvonen is presently in third position with a 6.7-second gap on his team-mate. Henning Solberg remains close to Hirvonen in fourth place. Dani Sordo is in fifth position with a 45-second lag on Loeb, as Petter Solberg stays close by 2.7 seconds behind.

Leg 2 of Rally d'Italia Sardegna will continue tomorrow with special stage 7 Loelle. The start will be given at 09:25 local time.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    End of Day 1 Overall :

1.Loeb - C4 -1h42'10"0
    2.Gronholm - Ford - 1h42'32"4
    3.Hirvonen - Ford - 1h42'39"1
    4.H.Solberg - Ford - 1h42'42"9
    5.P.Solberg - Subaru - 1h43'21"0
    6.Sordo - C4 - 1h43'28"3
    7.Gardemeister - Mitsu - 1h44'14"2
    8.Stohl - Xsara - 1h44'45"8
    9.Wilson - Ford - 1h45'44"9
    10.Machale - Ford - 1h46'48"3
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Day 2 - Overall SS9:

1.Loeb - C4 - 2h27'50"2
    2.Gronholm - Ford - 2h28'31"7
    3.Hirvonen - Ford - 2h28'41"5
    4.H.Solberg - Ford - 2h29'22"0
    5.Sordo - C4 - 2h29'44"7
    6.P.Solberg - Subaru - 2h30'23"4
    7.Gardemeister - Mitsu - 2h31'48"4
    8.Stohl - Xsara - 2h32'21"1
    9.Wilson - Ford - 2h34'11"6
    10.Hanninen - Mitsu - 2h35'35"5

13.Atkinson - Subaru - 2h41'03"4
    "All We'll Drive"

Ok, who had "Brakes" in the Petter pool?

With that much time behind Loeb, Petter needs a miracle.

Thanks for your updates!
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Gronholm Wins ! Ford 1&2

End of Day 3 :

1.Gronholm - Ford - 3h48'42"0
    2.Hirvonen - Ford - 3h49'11"2
    3.Sordo - C4 - 3h50'03"8
    4.H.Solberg - Ford - 3h5-'18"6
    5.P.Solberg - Subaru - 3h51'16"2
    6.Gardemeister - Mitsu - 3h53'44"1
    7.Stohl - Xsara - 3h54'10"6
    8.Hanninen - Mitsu - 3h58'13"7
    9.Latvala - Ford - 4h00'09"7
    10.Atkinson - Subaru - 4h05'01"4

15.Loeb - C4 - 4h17'29"9
    "All We'll Drive"

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What happened to Loeb?
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Loeb proved he's human after all and went off into a ditch on SS13

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~4~id~148287.htm
    "All We'll Drive"

Just finished watching the downloads I got from Rallytorrents.com

Disappointing rally for Subaru...but Loeb's retirement is keeping the championship hunt interesting.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan