2006 mazdaspeed6 vs. subie wrx.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60

This is a discussion on 2006 mazdaspeed6 vs. subie wrx.... within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 well the purpose of me asking about this is to see what it would take for ...

  1. #31
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 View Post
    well the purpose of me asking about this is to see what it would take for him to beat a mazdaspeed6 that has done consistant low 1.8's and a 14.1 qtr. Also as far as that 14.1 i think that it has a 13.8 in her but i personaly have not done it YET. Hell the fastest stock speed is a 13.5!!!FREAK CAR.On average the car runs a 14.0-13.7 I will look for the guy this weekend and also the NOPI NATIONALS with be at the track next weekend and hope i will see him there so that we can line up at the track. Stay tuned.....
    Well, it's like this. If someone is stock - it should be pretty close. But the WRX is not likely to be stock. No shortage of aftermarket parts, and no shortage of used parts. The WRX and EVO have an aftermarket reminiscent of the Camaro and Mustang back in the 90's. That is to say you can find a ton of parts new/used/expensive/cheap that will allow you to easily increase the cars whp/wtq in excess of 40% over stock. Couple this with the fact that the stock ECU is easy to reflash, no messing with piggybacks, and there are many off the shelf maps which have been proven by countless people.

    The Mazdaspeed6 has potential, but has yet to be proven. The WRX has proven itself year after year. That's not to say it's without fault - there are issues that plague us as well, namely transmission failure (though honestly this only seems to manifest as defect/abuse). The MS6 needs glowing reviews and consistant sales numbers to attract 3rd party support. Only time will tell.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User xMDxWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Towson MD
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 View Post
    well the purpose of me asking about this is to see what it would take for him to beat a mazdaspeed6 that has done consistant low 1.8's and a 14.1 qtr. Also as far as that 14.1 i think that it has a 13.8 in her but i personaly have not done it YET. Hell the fastest stock speed is a 13.5!!!FREAK CAR.On average the car runs a 14.0-13.7 I will look for the guy this weekend and also the NOPI NATIONALS with be at the track next weekend and hope i will see him there so that we can line up at the track. Stay tuned.....
    Stock WRXs have run high 13s as well... i think the lowest was like a 13.6 or 13.7 don't recall. but you know the wrx is modded at least a little, even if it is just tbe then he should be running low 13s stage 2
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

    Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

  4. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    Stock WRXs have run high 13s as well... i think the lowest was like a 13.6 or 13.7 don't recall. but you know the wrx is modded at least a little, even if it is just tbe then he should be running low 13s stage 2

    HMMM interesting. I thought that the wrx not the STI was running about a 14.4-14.0. So you are saying that the STOCK wrx can run on average a 13.9-13.6?? If so then if that is the case then even with a bad driver i will lose, Interesting.

  5. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Well, it's like this. If someone is stock - it should be pretty close. But the WRX is not likely to be stock. No shortage of aftermarket parts, and no shortage of used parts. The WRX and EVO have an aftermarket reminiscent of the Camaro and Mustang back in the 90's. That is to say you can find a ton of parts new/used/expensive/cheap that will allow you to easily increase the cars whp/wtq in excess of 40% over stock. Couple this with the fact that the stock ECU is easy to reflash, no messing with piggybacks, and there are many off the shelf maps which have been proven by countless people.

    The Mazdaspeed6 has potential, but has yet to be proven. The WRX has proven itself year after year. That's not to say it's without fault - there are issues that plague us as well, namely transmission failure (though honestly this only seems to manifest as defect/abuse). The MS6 needs glowing reviews and consistant sales numbers to attract 3rd party support. Only time will tell.
    I was looking at you list of mods and also you qtr. mile and you only ran a 14.0. I also read something about launching ability.I am not sure if that was a long time ago or what and if it was then i appologize. But if you have all that stuff and even a vf34 turbo and that is all you got in the qtr.it makes me think. But i also understand that the time might have be due to the launch itself as you have a nice MPH.

  6. #35
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 View Post
    I was looking at you list of mods and also you qtr. mile and you only ran a 14.0. I also read something about launching ability.I am not sure if that was a long time ago or what and if it was then i appologize. But if you have all that stuff and even a vf34 turbo and that is all you got in the qtr.it makes me think. But i also understand that the time might have be due to the launch itself as you have a nice MPH.
    I can't launch the car, some of my friends and family think it's the clutch. So - today I'm getting the clutch replaced with an Exedy Organic Stage 1. I should be able to put my car in the 12's. At least that is what a few of my friends who run their cars at Englishtown/Atco have said after being in the car. Every person who has driven it keeps telling me I need a new clutch. It's annoying, because the car drives fine as a daily driver - it just slips a bit if I try to get on it. Because of this, I've tried to always revmatch. 70k on the stock clutch, so I'm figuring it's probably about due to be replaced soon.

    Wish me luck with the new clutch.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  7. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I can't launch the car, some of my friends and family think it's the clutch. So - today I'm getting the clutch replaced with an Exedy Organic Stage 1. I should be able to put my car in the 12's. At least that is what a few of my friends who run their cars at Englishtown/Atco have said after being in the car. Every person who has driven it keeps telling me I need a new clutch. It's annoying, because the car drives fine as a daily driver - it just slips a bit if I try to get on it. Because of this, I've tried to always revmatch. 70k on the stock clutch, so I'm figuring it's probably about due to be replaced soon.

    Wish me luck with the new clutch.
    Cool good luck!!

  8. #37
    Registered User xMDxWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Towson MD
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I can't launch the car, some of my friends and family think it's the clutch. So - today I'm getting the clutch replaced with an Exedy Organic Stage 1. I should be able to put my car in the 12's. At least that is what a few of my friends who run their cars at Englishtown/Atco have said after being in the car. Every person who has driven it keeps telling me I need a new clutch. It's annoying, because the car drives fine as a daily driver - it just slips a bit if I try to get on it. Because of this, I've tried to always revmatch. 70k on the stock clutch, so I'm figuring it's probably about due to be replaced soon.

    Wish me luck with the new clutch.
    Good luck! when are you heading back to the track? you going to do a break in first?
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

    Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

  9. #38
    Registered User xMDxWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Towson MD
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 View Post
    I was looking at you list of mods and also you qtr. mile and you only ran a 14.0. I also read something about launching ability.I am not sure if that was a long time ago or what and if it was then i appologize. But if you have all that stuff and even a vf34 turbo and that is all you got in the qtr.it makes me think. But i also understand that the time might have be due to the launch itself as you have a nice MPH.
    Stock 06 wrxs can run anywhere from 13.6 up depends on the driver though. My friende has a GST that has 330fwhp and he ran a 14.5 the car was more then capable for low 13's high 12's but it was his first time running at the track and he over revved teh FWD. There is always a chance you would win especailly since you have track time in, another friend of mine has a 02 mustang gt I/H/E/cams/Manifolds and ran a 14.7

    My friends need to learn how to launch
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

    Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

  10. #39
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    Good luck! when are you heading back to the track? you going to do a break in first?
    I put 250 miles on it yesterday - drove up to Woodbridge, then down to Wildwood. Hopped off the parkway in both spots and a few in between. New clutch is nice, there wasn't much left on the stock clutch. I'm not sure when I'm headed to the track - I'll post a thread when I do.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  11. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    225
    As a previous owner of a WRX, Forester 2.5XT and now a mazdaspeed6 I have fairly good knowledge of the cars. The forester is only mentioned to bring up the point of the difference between year models and engines. I opwned a 2002 wrx and it was modded with all the basic bolt-ons and trapped 99- 100 mph. My forester had the same mods and it was a beast off the line with the gearing and 2.5 liter. If the wrx you are speaking of is a new one, they are more powerful stock. A front mount on a WRX without a tune is not as noticeable as a Speed6 with FMIC.
    BTW- I would hold off on turning up the boost until you use one of ECU upgrades out there (Xede)

  12. #41
    Registered User LilJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF4E View Post
    The electronics on the mazdaspeed 6 can go from 100/0 split to 50/50. It seems like a pretty advanced system, although I have never driven one so who knows.

    To the op: Seems like this kid is a tool, I wouldn't even bother with him.
    thought i would clarify on this WRX's have a symmetrical AWD system, meaning AWD all the time. the mazdaspeed6 is FWD with AWD as an after thought, meaning your front wheels have to lose traction before the rear wheels kick in.
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch
    Turboback Exhaust + Up-Pipe
    Stage 2 Ecu Reflash @ 18 psi

  13. #42
    Registered User powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJohn View Post
    thought i would clarify on this WRX's have a symmetrical AWD system, meaning AWD all the time. the mazdaspeed6 is FWD with AWD as an after thought, meaning your front wheels have to lose traction before the rear wheels kick in.
    Suby AWD > *
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

    2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

    Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

  14. #43
    GraysonSubaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 View Post
    I understand that if he has a turbo then it will be no contest. But without a turbo and regular BPU's what do you think? I just don't think THIS guy has a turbo. Front mounts are pretty cheap but a turbo is a little pricey. Not to say this guy don't have the cash as you never know.
    a good front mount is usually more expensive than the turbo. A good front mount is $1000 +. most likely used turbos (16g-18g) can be bought for under $1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

  15. #44
    GraysonSubaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 View Post
    HMMM interesting. I thought that the wrx not the STI was running about a 14.4-14.0. So you are saying that the STOCK wrx can run on average a 13.9-13.6?? If so then if that is the case then even with a bad driver i will lose, Interesting.
    there are a few owners on here with stock STI's that have run 12.8-12.9 area.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

  16. #45
    GraysonSubaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I can't launch the car, some of my friends and family think it's the clutch. So - today I'm getting the clutch replaced with an Exedy Organic Stage 1. I should be able to put my car in the 12's. At least that is what a few of my friends who run their cars at Englishtown/Atco have said after being in the car. Every person who has driven it keeps telling me I need a new clutch. It's annoying, because the car drives fine as a daily driver - it just slips a bit if I try to get on it. Because of this, I've tried to always revmatch. 70k on the stock clutch, so I'm figuring it's probably about due to be replaced soon.

    Wish me luck with the new clutch.
    Good luck with the new clutch!

    82k on my stock clutch with about 60k or so at stage 2. I am also wondering how soon this will start on mine. so far no slipping or anything, but i imagine around the time i have the timing belt/water pump work done, i might just go ahead and upgrade to a new clutch as well. cheaper to drive it to the dealership rather than have it towed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •