Rally America/WRC cars

This is a discussion on Rally America/WRC cars within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've read in another thread that even the Rally America/X Games rally cars cost around 0,000. Now, with that, an ...

Rally America/WRC cars

I've read in another thread that even the Rally America/X Games rally cars cost around $100,000.
    Now, with that, an '07 STi costs about $34k.
    100,000-34,000= 66,000.

Can someone tell me what they do to that car that costs 66 effin thousand dollars in mods?

Is there a titanium drivetrain in them or something?
    If they're like WRC cars, their HP is limited to 350 hp. Is that AWHP or crank HP? It wouldn't cost that much in engine mods to get a stock STi up to that.
    As for suspension and brakes, that shouldn't be more than 10-15K, even with all tubular, fully adjustable control arms.
    I know a dog box (which is what they probably use) doesn't cost more than 10K.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This may help
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a Article from 1999 on the cost to make a Ford Focus WRC Car:
    note prices are in UK pounds!!
    http://homepage.virgin.net/shalco.co..._wrc_costs.htm
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-08-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Yeah I read the article that BigB posted. I didn't realize that they tuned those engines like that. How do they get those turbos to spool so quick? Do they angle the compressor and turbine blades (kinda like different pitches of a prop blade) to catch as much air early on or do they just use smaller turbos that spool up quicker?

The Focus has the longest wheelbase of any WRCar
    I would have never in a million years guessed that. The Focus looks like the shortest, after the 206, that is.

So now that we have the WRC cars covered, are the X-games/Rally America cars any different? I went to R/A's website and could not find any specific rules about the hp and engine limits.

Now that brings me to the rules themselves, why limit the HP on those, but allow them to have as much TQ as they want?
    I'll never understand the HP limit. Group B being a prime example. The reason that they eliminated it (too many people getting killed) to me was a stupid reason. Why do I say that? Because everyone and their mother knew the risks of racing those overpowered beasts, yet drivers still wanted to drive them and spectators still wanted to stand right next to the road and watch them.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Mike its the same reason nascar runs restictor plates. If they didnt a rally car would easily go over 200mph, and the slightest bump would send these cars flying. It also boils down to money why would you want your star driver that cost you a ton of money to get dieing after the first couple races. They say a nascar could hit 240 without a restirctor plate but more than just the cars would get broken in those huge wrecks.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    Yeah I read the article that BigB posted. I didn't realize that they tuned those engines like that. How do they get those turbos to spool so quick? Do they angle the compressor and turbine blades (kinda like different pitches of a prop blade) to catch as much air early on or do they just use smaller turbos that spool up quicker?

I would have never in a million years guessed that. The Focus looks like the shortest, after the 206, that is.

So now that we have the WRC cars covered, are the X-games/Rally America cars any different? I went to R/A's website and could not find any specific rules about the hp and engine limits.

Now that brings me to the rules themselves, why limit the HP on those, but allow them to have as much TQ as they want?
    I'll never understand the HP limit. Group B being a prime example. The reason that they eliminated it (too many people getting killed) to me was a stupid reason. Why do I say that? Because everyone and their mother knew the risks of racing those overpowered beasts, yet drivers still wanted to drive them and spectators still wanted to stand right next to the road and watch them.

Group B cars and turbo F1 cars were irresponsible thats why they stopped them. you cant have seasons littered with tragedies.

besides cars are heavier and faster now with less hp.

I do think nascar could push the speeed up a bit their cars are so damn safe now that a lil more speeed could not hurt.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post

I do think nascar could push the speeed up a bit their cars are so damn safe now that a lil more speeed could not hurt.
    +1 No restrictors at Talledega or Daytona.2 million to the winner and let the chips(or bodies) fall where they may.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    +1 No restrictors at Talledega or Daytona.2 million to the winner and let the chips(or bodies) fall where they may.
    +1 Id also like to see some drifting in nascar at the street tracks...

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think I'm breaking any secrets by stating I'm not a fan of NASCAR or drifting, but -- and I may be generalizing -- I suspect NASCAR must have terrific BBQs going on in the parking lots. Anyone?

WRC cars are heavier now but with more torque lower and better drivelines, they are faster than ever -- especially since the stages are now tailored toward the newer cars. The old-style, extra-long, extra-wide-open stages with the sweeping bends instead of the hairpin-after-hairpin-after-chicane stuff would let older cars (as in, two decades old) give the newer cars a real run for their money. The gearboxes and diffs have come along the most over the years.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-09-2007 at 09:42 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't think I'm breaking any secrets by stating I'm not a fan of NASCAR or drifting, but -- and I may be generalizing -- I suspect NASCAR must have terrific BBQs going on in the parking lots. Anyone?
    i was kidding about the drifting

and yea i bet the BBQ is pretty good in the parking lot

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Those boys do know how to eat.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Banned
    I want to build a rally car some day