POLL: Data Logger + Video Price Point.

View Poll Results: Data Logger + Video Price Point?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 299-399

3 37.50%
  • 399-499

3 37.50%
  • 499-599

1 12.50%
  • 599-699

1 12.50%

This is a discussion on POLL: Data Logger + Video Price Point. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I am in the middle of deciding the price point for the Video + Data Logger (VDL) that ...

POLL: Data Logger + Video Price Point.

Hey guys,

I am in the middle of deciding the price point for the Video + Data Logger (VDL) that I am creating. Basically this unit will record telemetry such as speed, G force, RPM, and Lap Times based on GPS tracking. This unit will also simultaneously record and overlay video via a video camera that will be included with the base unit; perfect for immediate viewing in between track sessions.

Base Unit includes:
    1. VDL unit
    2. 1x Camera
    3. SD card
    4. Cigarette lighter power adapter.

This unit is universal for all types of cars. Most track guys will love this unit and I believe enthusiasts like yourself may be interested as well for other applications.

What is the price range that you are willing to buy this product for? Please Vote!

Thanks for your time and I will update you guys on the status of this unit. I think this unit will be available by the next SEMA and I will most likely be selling this item as a sponsor on this site.

Edward Lin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone? anyone else?

Ed Lin

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    sounds like a great idea- you have pics of the camera/logger- screenshots of it working?
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

no, sorry. we are still in the prototyping stages.

Ed Lin

I guess you really need to nail who you are looking to sell to. If you were trying to sell to me, I would mandate a few more items. It would cost a ton more, but more for the professional outlook. I would need egts to help tune the engine, lots of other sensors, but my guess is that I am not your target market. But for playing around, what you are building could be really cool to have. And much less than my last Data logger. It was around $4000 for the package.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think most guys doing track days or even autoxing would potentially be interested
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

wanabe: yea i doubt we will be targeting you. assuming if your drag racing that beast in ur avatar picture. I think we are targeting mostly track, autocross and maybe even professional people that may want to use it in their cars..

WRx: thanks for the input. any input regarding on what other telemetry it should read?

Ed Lin

I Support ClubWRX
    Since it appears you are linking to the car for telemetry (since you list RPM as one of the disply/log items), I would recommend:
    1. Gear position
    2. Speed
    3. Brake pressure (this may not be possible) or simply when the brake is applied (perhaps a discreet input vs analog)..this would serioulsy help when trying to determine brake points.
    4. and since you already have GPS...input for elevation too. Some tracks have some serious elevation changes.

And if you ever go beyong the track application and aim towards engine performance too, the following would be the minimum:
    1. EGT
    2. Boost
    3. Oil Pressure
    4. Water Temp.
    5. and eventually: Knock events, timing, injector duty cycle, fuel pressure, and MAF/MAP input.

Actually, I'm surprise someone hasn't done this yet, but then, the more advanced telemetry systems are overlaid with GPS anyway, and it's not like your really need to see the road in front of you to help determine your proper tuning points.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Banned
    I don't get my somone would vote more than the cheapest price

hmmm, awesome, great recommendations. This is very helpful. Thank you. Anyone else??

ERIKBROCKHOFF: i just wanted a range to see what people would be willing to pay. The people that will actually use this know what this is worth. Others may not, so i am just guaging to see whats the average that people are willing to pay.

Ed Lin

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Since it appears you are linking to the car for telemetry (since you list RPM as one of the disply/log items), I would recommend:
    1. Gear position
    2. Speed
    3. Brake pressure (this may not be possible) or simply when the brake is applied (perhaps a discreet input vs analog)..this would serioulsy help when trying to determine brake points.
    4. and since you already have GPS...input for elevation too. Some tracks have some serious elevation changes.

And if you ever go beyong the track application and aim towards engine performance too, the following would be the minimum:
    1. EGT
    2. Boost
    3. Oil Pressure
    4. Water Temp.
    5. and eventually: Knock events, timing, injector duty cycle, fuel pressure, and MAF/MAP input.

Actually, I'm surprise someone hasn't done this yet, but then, the more advanced telemetry systems are overlaid with GPS anyway, and it's not like your really need to see the road in front of you to help determine your proper tuning points.