What the hell am I doing wrong?! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on What the hell am I doing wrong?! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven How would I know when to shift based on speed? I just go by the tach. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    How would I know when to shift based on speed? I just go by the tach. I haven't had much practice dragging in terms of years, but I've had around 20-30 runs in the past 5 months or so. At first I was just concerned with the launch, now that I'm getting somewhat consistant 1.9 60 foots I'm trying to figure out what else I should be doing to loose a few tenths of my ET.

I do notice when I shift... I let off the pedal and press the clutch and the RPMs keep going, usually a little past redline. It doesn't give me the smoothest shift. I haven't seen hardly any '06 WRXs get 1.8x 60 foots so I'm determined it's gotta be my shifting...
    I actually meant to say "how fast you shift", rather than "the speed at which you shift". Apologies..and it looks like you are already focusing on that aspect. Once you have a few hundred runs under your belt, launching and shifting quickly will be second nature.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    I actually meant to say "how fast you shift", rather than "the speed at which you shift". Apologies..and it looks like you are already focusing on that aspect. Once you have a few hundred runs under your belt, launching and shifting quickly will be second nature.
    I know I can shift fast, it's just a matter of getting used to my clunky 5MT and not being so gentle. I make sure to not slam gears during the 1/4 mile run, so I think I have to find a happy medium. Based on my 1/8 mile trap speeds it looks like my 1-2 shift needs the most improvement. 2nd is definitely the hardest gear to get into, especially in the high RPMs. I don't know if an STi tranny mount would void my warranty? Then maybe just synthetic tranny fluid? Maybe a short shifter? Who knows. I'd just like to keep my car as stock as possible until my warranty expires to avoid a headache at my dealership...
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123