Cecil Co Dragway noob questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cecil Co Dragway noob questions within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm planning on running this Friday for the first time. I've been to the track a couple times as a ...

Cecil Co Dragway noob questions

I'm planning on running this Friday for the first time. I've been to the track a couple times as a spectator and just have a few questions.

About the track:
    1. I'm guessing that all the tech inspection happens in the horseshoe area.
    2. I noticed that there are many staging lanes. Does it matter which lane I go in?
    3. I'm guessing that the time slip shack is one of the buildings behind the bleacher area.

About racing:
    This is what I know (or at least what I think I know) ...
    Wear long pants, good idea to bring a helmet, inflate tires to ~40psi, avoid water puddle, launch ~4500 - 5200 rpm

Is there anything else that I should know for my first time? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I do not know the track, but I do know this:
    Just follow the line of cars inside the track to get to the tech area.
    The tech inspector will tell you what lanes you will be running in that evening and what class you will be running. (Different bracket classes by speed and ET. You may be running this or a time only, depending on the schedule.)
    The time slip deal will be on the return road back to the pits. Again, follow a car that just made a pass and watch where he stops to get his time slip.
    Sorry I could not give you more information, as I don't know the track, but enjoy, have fun and be safe. Oh, one other rule. Post time slips.

I Support ClubWRX
    To answer your ? about Cecil:

1. The "horseshoe" area is the multi-staging lanes, and yes, this is where the tech inspections take place. When you first get there, just get in any one of the lanes and wait until someone with a clipboard comes by to inspect. It'll take about 30 seconds. Have a pen ready to fill out the info requested, and when done, strap on your wristband.

2. Any lane will do. It all works out in the end so even though a line may look long, it's usually cause their "front" stage pack hasn't advanced yet (for those that havent been, they have a lane right across the staging lines to allow emergency traffic access....so they actually lane stage you twice...lame).

3. The time slip shack will be right after you exit the track after a run. Cecil normally runs the left side exit, so after coming to the end of the track, exit left, go up the hill as it curves to the left, and the shack will be right there at the bottom of the hill on your left.

Don't forget to get all loose stuff out of the car inside and in the trunk.

A bit of advice..try to get the left lane when you are at the tree. The right lane has just a sliiiight bit of a slope in it and folks tend to red light there 'cause the break the light by rolling.

Another thing I try to do is avoid where everyone else launches from. I usually get closer to the outer wall as the "fresher" track there lets the tires spin a bit easier.

Now....go out, have fun, and report back!!!!

don't forget...cecil is one of the fastest tracks on the east coast....so no pressure or anything
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Registered User revolvedspecv05's Avatar
    where abouts are you from? i live like 2 seconds from the track. ill prob be there if its decent out.
    07 tr. gone...

current, sr20 powered s14...

bug eye coming soon?

Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvedspecv05 View Post
    where abouts are you from? i live like 2 seconds from the track. ill prob be there if its decent out.
    I live in Elkton ... the track is probably ~12 mins from my house

Registered User revolvedspecv05's Avatar
    ahh word, well maybe ill see ya there
    07 tr. gone...

current, sr20 powered s14...

bug eye coming soon?

I just thought of another question. This one about the helmet. Are there any certain requirements on what kind of helmet to bring? Is there somewhere close to get one?

good luck and be careful!

take it easy on the car for your first time!!

The helmet only has to be DOT approved.
    If you start going fast, then you need different certifications, SFI and SA requirements. You will not be there for some time.
    Good luck with it.

ill be up there on friday just got a protune hoping for good times 04 white sti with temp tags lol

I may be there friday, if you spot a black STi w/ front mount and running open downpipe, come say whatsup
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

Well ... I ran last night for the first time. Missed 2nd gear on my first run and shifted too late on my second. I would have ran more than two runs, but my gf was cold and I didn't want her to freeze. Told her to bring something warmer next time she comes. Did have fun though . My slips are below. I was in the left lane both times.

Last edited by MidnightDragon; 06-02-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Updated image

i was up there friday white sti i ran a few 12.6's and a few 12.7s what color rex did you have a blue one? i left at like 830 gf wanted to leave lol

I was in an 06 Steel Gray STi.

Got a question ...

I ran both of my runs with the DCCD set to one notch above open. What do you guys usually set it to?

Next Friday I'm gonna play with it a little more to see what results I get by setting it to Auto. I also forgot to take out my spare/jack before running my car and had about 3/4 tank of gas. Figured out that the gas gauge doesn't go up as you pump gas (or at least not when I tried).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast