Is 4-point subframe brace leagal in STX?

This is a discussion on Is 4-point subframe brace leagal in STX? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I looked through the SCCA rules on STS and STX, but didn't see anything on subframe braces. Does this mean ...

Is 4-point subframe brace leagal in STX?

I looked through the SCCA rules on STS and STX, but didn't see anything on subframe braces. Does this mean it's illegal? I have a 4-point one on my car right now, so I want to know before the next event.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    maybe- the strut bars allowance says they can only be mounted transveresly from upper left to upper right AND from lower left to lower right suspension mounting point

might be a stretch but maybe the lower brace could be considered a lower strut bar???
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    after thnking about this some more- I'm leaning towards no as the brace is H shaped, perhaps a single lower arm bar could meet the definition of a strut bar- I'm thinking the H bar would not

That's a huge "negative". Wasn't even remotely STX legal under the original wording, and most certainly not legal given the recent clarification (which is effective immediately). A STB may connect only 2 points, not 4.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be taking this subframe brace off tomorrow. Then, I'll be ready for the next autocross event.

Also I was looking into the rules again just now and saw this in the Street Modified category.

16.1.G
    Subframe connectors are allowed, but each connector must be attached individually without any lateral components attaching the two longitudinal frame rails.

So it sounds like even in Street Modified, the H-brace will be illegal.

I Support ClubWRX
    looks that way- you can swap an engine, but not a brace