Best launching techniqes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Best launching techniqes within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think the ''Tokyo Drift'' DVD has a video ''how to'' for shifting and launching....

I think the ''Tokyo Drift'' DVD has a video ''how to'' for shifting and launching.
    CGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gasstationboi View Post
    O ****.. what happend.. I launched at 4000rpms and shift to second.. and I felt a kick in the the rear.. and heard a boom in the back of my car.. is that the exhaust or what?
    The clunk sound was likely coming from your rear differential - it's common if you shift too hard into 2nd gear. Like rr1911 said, 2nd gear is one of the weak points of the car, especially if you really slam it around. Either be a lot more careful with both launching and shifting, or start saving for a new set of gears...

Quote Originally Posted by gasstationboi View Post
    O ****.. what happend.. I launched at 4000rpms and shift to second.. and I felt a kick in the the rear.. and heard a boom in the back of my car.. is that the exhaust or what?
    uh oh... we are about to have one less subaru in the family....

Quote Originally Posted by PJO42387 View Post
    Dont slam it into second.
    I am completely stealing this thread but I don't think it is approriate to start a new one. I am spinning tires from 1st to 2nd now
    18g + ppg =

From your description, it sounded like you're dumping your clutch, hence, giving you that kick in the rear feel. I used to do that when I was learning. Personally, I rev at 5500 rpm, then I quickly slip the clutch out which gives me smooth launch off the line.

As mentioned, be careful with your 1st to 2nd shift. Learn to shift without getting that clunk which indicates you're shifting fast and hard. You want to save your tranny!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12