04 STI first time at a track with 6speed
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 STI first time at a track with 6speed within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I went to E-Town on sunday in NJ to test my STI out. I managed to get a 13.3 ...

04 STI first time at a track with 6speed

So I went to E-Town on sunday in NJ to test my STI out.
    I managed to get a 13.3 @100 before my Axel broke!

Im just wondering why the hell that happen. What Am I doing wrong.
    First my mods:
    Invidia turbo-back
    K&N typhoon short intake
    walbro fuel pump
    perrin 3" turbo house
    Open ECU tuned by Junior @18.5 psi

First off I had to lower the boost because after my launch and going into 2nd gear my check engine went on and I could not go past 3000 rpm.
    After that I managed to get 2 OK times. I know I can do better.

Launch: I was pulsing the throttle between 5-6 thousand rpm (was it too high?) And then slip the clutch in. I was getting 1.76-1.72 60' times.
    My axel broke when I shifted from 1st too 2nd and that was the end. Thankfully I was able to get home by putting the DCCD on lock.

What did I do wrong? Or was it just a bad axel. I bought this car 2 months ago used.

Thanx.
    04 STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Luck of the draw most likely. When an STi axle breaks, it is usually a front axle. Rear snappage is pretty rare. Sounds like you may be flat foot shifting (speed shifting) and this puts god awful stress on the axles/powertrain in general. The axles are the "relative" weak point of the STi powertrain, so look at it as better than snapping a drive shaft (you will never, ever want to feel what this is like as your driveshaft mutilates your entire undercarriage) or imho, breaking the clutch.

Also, it may have just been weakend in the launch sequence and the extra bit of "hit" when nailing second was the final straw. Lots of reasons. One thing you didn't say though was what air pressure and tires you are running? All of the stickies on launching for an STi say to raise the air pressure in the tires...I usually used around 45-50 psi. This promotes wheel spin...the best result when shocking the powertrain like that.

Also, someone may say this is a good time to upgrade your axles. My advice would be to put OEM axles in. Again, if something is going to break, an axle isn't a bad thing. Much better than a tranny or a diff.

Just to be curious, the STi you bought isn't silver with a Seibon CF hood is it?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Its a WRB STI. and thanx for the info.

As for the tires I raised the pressure to 38 front and 36 rear.

How should I shift in order for this not to happen again and to also have good times?
    04 STI

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.