Tires for D-Stock Autocross

This is a discussion on Tires for D-Stock Autocross within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wife gave the green light for me to blow some money for some new shoes . I will be running ...

Tires for D-Stock Autocross

Wife gave the green light for me to blow some money for some new shoes .

I will be running on stock rims for D-stock. On a previous post, most of the reponses on what size to run came in at a 225/50 R16, with 215/40 R16 coming in a distant second.

Now, what brand? I am looking at the Avon Tech R-A, Kumho V710 or V700 VictoRacer, or the Yoko Advan A048.

I would like a tire that can last me the season of 1-2 events a month and 2-4 small track events.

Any recommendations, alternate tires, or warnings about these listed?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Mmmmmm....

Mustangs for lunch!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If your planning on a couple of track days to go w/ the D Stock- probably the Victoracers or the A048's (medium)- both competent tires for either.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    If your planning on a couple of track days to go w/ the D Stock- probably the Victoracers or the A048's (medium)- both competent tires for either.
    Agreed. The Avon Tech Ra and V710's wouldn't last many track days. A048 or Victoracers would be the best compromise tire (for autoX & track).
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

To quote Ghostbusters...

"The Destructor has been chosen!"

VictoRacers.

When I get serious about winning regionals, then all get something sticker.

Thanks for the input.
    Mmmmmm....

Mustangs for lunch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thedogmmm View Post
    To quote Ghostbusters...

When I get serious about winning regionals, then all get something sticker.

Thanks for the input.
    Ok--not to slam you or disrespect you or your driving in any way, but the WRX is really really not a good D-stock car. They are absolutely great fun for local events (i autoxed mine in DS for about a year) and with some sticky tires, you can actually do quite well. But when you move up to regionals and nationals, the competition gets far more serious. Not to imply that you aren't up to the task as a driver, but you will be at a serious disadvantage to the 3series BMWs, the ITR's, and heck even the Mazdaspeed Proteges. (i sold my 02 WRX for a Mazdaspeed Protege which i now run in DS with Hoosier A6's and it is really head and shoulders above the WRX).
    Nonetheless, you made a good tire choice. Have fun!
    02 silver WRX sedan----Sold
    03.5 Mazdaspeed Proteg--DS beast

No slam taken.

I guess I should have said "if I go to regionals" instead of "when" since it is not likely that I would ever be competitive in regionals in DS, or even have the time to.

I would fair better in STX if I have a few extra $$$ to through at mods, but then I have to thumb wrestle the wife...
    Mmmmmm....

Mustangs for lunch!!!

In DS, you will get your taint handed to you by the BMW 330I.

STX isn't that bad really.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Most definitely. You do not wanna mess with an STX WRX. no question there.
    But like i said, with some sticky rubber, you can do quite well in DS at local events and have lots of fun at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    In DS, you will get your taint handed to you by the BMW 330I.

STX isn't that bad really.
    I beg to differ - at least if there's a capable driver behind the wheel. The '06+ 2.5L WRXs definitely can be extremely competitive in DS. 245/40/17 Hoosier A6s can fit on our stock sized rims and the increased torque really helps us stay in the powerband.

330i's have never been my biggest concern in DS - however, those light-weight high-revving ITR's are another story!
    Last edited by Chiketkd; 01-25-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
    I beg to differ - at least if there's a capable driver behind the wheel. The '06+ 2.5L WRXs definitely can be extremely competitive in DS. 245/40/17 Hoosier A6s can fit on our stock sized rims and the increased torque really helps us stay in the powerband.

330i's have never been my biggest concern in DS - however, those light-weight high-revving ITR's are another story!

I would imagine that the '06 + would indeed be better than the previous models. (i had an 02 that was teh suck). I would think that now, it is more course dependant and the WRX would be more successful in DS, but still, as you said, not quite up to the level of the ITRs. (i'm going to have a chance to run against a nationally competitive Driver in a DS ITR on the 10th----we'll see how the ole MSP stacks up......)

Warning: RANT
    Hmmm course dependency......
    I went to an autox last year where i'm pretty sure about 60% of the participants were driving either WRXs, STi's or EVOs. Incidentally, a WRX owner designed the course. IIRC, it went something like this--- Straight. Hairpin. Straight. Hairpin. Straight. Hairpin. Straight, finish. And, amazingly enough, it was spaced out perfectly so the WRX could stay in 1st gear the entire time. Hmm. imagine that!
    On this course, no car, not an ITR, 3 series BMW, MSP, NOTHING would have an advantage over the WRX. Oh, and did i mention it was WET?
    short story: i got pwn3d and was not happy about it!
    /End Rant

I Support ClubWRX
    chris1866, course bias happens all the time though. Whoever designs it may have the best intentions (make it fun!) but they only have their car or their experiences to go by, so you end up with Corvette owners designing a drag strip or Mini owners designing a car ferry hold etc. Part of life I guess.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ agreed

Anyone designing a course where you don't get out of 1st (save maybe the C5 which I think can go 63 mph in 1st!!!) needs to go back to the drawing board. The "best" courses I've run were where we were tickling the rev limiter in 2nd
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    ^ agreed

Anyone designing a course where you don't get out of 1st (save maybe the C5 which I think can go 63 mph in 1st!!!) needs to go back to the drawing board. The "best" courses I've run were where we were tickling the rev limiter in 2nd
    +1 I agree totally.
    While i also agree with SD_GR that course biasing happens frequently, i have never EVER seen it to this extent. I mean it was blatantly obvious in this situation, and that really ticked me off. The course should be fun for everyone--not designed to make your (otherwise rather uncompetitive car) have a distinct advantage. (For the record he was in a pre-'06 WRX, hence-my "uncompetitive" comment). In any case, at the local level, driver makes the biggest difference anyway as most cars are not set up to the limits of the class. There is absolutely no reason to do something like that on purpose. Just come out and have fun.
    uh oh....there i go ranting again. Sensitive subject--can ya tell ;-)

I'm using 245/40R17 A6's this season. There's nothing faster at the moment, and the wear isn't too horrible. Avon's are on sale on tirerack right now. I was thinking of getting a set just because they're so cheap... maybe I will.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #38
    2006 WRX Sedan Limited 12 DS
    Villanova University FSAE Race Team

I ran victoracers on a set of 14X7 borbets last auto-x (civic), and I was completely satisfied, and they were 3 seasons old and well worn. I normally run Falken Azenis tires, but only because I'm lazy and don't want to swap tires at the event. A set of shaven Victoracers will wear better than V710s, and be almost as sticky, not to mention the price difference is usually $20 higher for V710s, depending on the size you run. I've never run Avons, so can't say, but for my next purchase it's between the avons and V710s, I don't mind the low treadwear and price isn't an object.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX