36 too old to start?

This is a discussion on 36 too old to start? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am interested in getting into Rally racing. Even trying to go semi-pro. I would love to eventually compete at ...

36 too old to start?

I am interested in getting into Rally racing. Even trying to go semi-pro. I would love to eventually compete at a future X-Games.

I am concerned about my age. Particularly because of a suspicion I have that future sponsors are going to be more interested in younger driver (all else being equal). I heard mot Rally clubs drivers are in their low twenties.

What do yuo guys who have experience in the scen think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you're never too old... and i dunno where you are rallying, but around here lots of the club/ pro rally guys are older cuz they are the ones who can afford it. rallying is an expensive sport.

Yeah, I def. agree that u can never be to old to do something you put your mind to. Rally racing is awesome.. If you get into rallying post pics and keep the club posted on info !!
    Black 03 Impreza WRX (Fully Rebuilt Motor 15,xxx Miles )
    Stromung Cat Back Exhaust
    Upper Front Tower Brace
    Stage 1

you have a long way to go, by the way... go check in with Rally America to see about doing a club event. if you can afford to run a whole season (which is important for points) then you can begin to set your sights higher. you then want to do well in club rally, then you move onto pro.

however, for most people they start with rallycross... then rallysprints... then club rally... then pro rally... its the normal progression allowing you to hone and prove your skills before jumping deep into it financially and time-wise.

I am in the same boat old boy, I am 40 and I want to go Rally so bad my hair hurts! I raced motorcycles for many years but the old body is pretty beat and I need to find a new outlet, a new fix for my racing jones. I have loved rally since the early '80s, always been a fan and always considered it he most Elite, talent-wise, of car racing. I just bought an '06 STi and while it would be criminal (not to mention STOOPID!) to take it Rallying it is hard not to go that route. What I have decided to do is to slowly mod this car into a full on Rally car with a goal to have it ready when I pay it off, about 4 more years. In the meantime I am going to autocross, rallycross, time attack and run track days with this car so I can use it as a daily driver. I am going to buy a beater for the upcoming rally season and race it at the club level. By the time I am ready to race my STi, it will be ready to race and it will be less of a crime against the car-gods. That is the plan. Of course, you know what they say about the "best laid plans of mice and men." Just another one of those "before I die" things to do.
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    2006 GSXR750
    2002 SV650
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Go here if you can afford it.
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    2006 GSXR750
    2002 SV650
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST