DCCD WRX STI Settings for AutoCross
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on DCCD WRX STI Settings for AutoCross within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently entered my first autocross and had a terrific time. I ran 5 of my 6 runs with the ...

DCCD WRX STI Settings for AutoCross

I recently entered my first autocross and had a terrific time. I ran 5 of my 6 runs with the DCCD set on AUTO and decided to experiment on my final run by choosing MANUAL in the rearward most setting. This seemed to help somewhat with the understeer but the thing still understeered like an agricultural plow. Anyone out there have any suggestions on corrected the horrific understeer from this thing? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

how many settings is on the dccd? and whats the order in power changes as you scroll down on the dccd?

I always run in Auto.

If you are understeering, it is not the cars fault, but your own.

It's funny, I was at an event a few weeks ago where a couple were AX'ing their new 06 in their 2nd event. I asked them how they were getting on. They said they were running consistent 68sec laps, but were really struggling with understeer. So I offered to drive a lap with the pair of them in the car.

So, I do a 62 sec lap and declare the car brilliant. No hint of understeer at all. They were quite shocked.

Cliff notes : slow down before corner entry
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag View Post
    Cliff notes : slow down before corner entry
    Righto. Corner setup is important of course, but the car still understeers. I can correct it and manipulate with driving technique and extra care during corner entry, but this car handle better with a stiffer rear end. Part of it too is it is my first all wheel drive car; it is definitely a different animal than a RWD or FWD, no doubt about it. I guess I sounded like I was complaining a bit....the car is BRILLIANT! It truly is the best thing I have ever driven, correction, the best thing I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by wackary View Post
    ! It truly is the best thing I have ever driven, correction, the best thing I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by eze13 View Post
    how many settings is on the dccd? and whats the order in power changes as you scroll down on the dccd?
    There are six settings on the DCCD, the forwardmost is "lock" and distributes the power 50/50. The rearward settings move the power bias rearward. I do not know what the percentages are front/rear.

Quote Originally Posted by wackary View Post
    Righto. Corner setup is important of course, but the car still understeers. I can correct it and manipulate with driving technique and extra care during corner entry, but this car handle better with a stiffer rear end. Part of it too is it is my first all wheel drive car; it is definitely a different animal than a RWD or FWD, no doubt about it. I guess I sounded like I was complaining a bit....the car is BRILLIANT! It truly is the best thing I have ever driven, correction, the best thing I have ever owned.
    First off, go get yourself a good alignment. The factory specs suck.

Get max. camber up front (rear is not adjustable) and zero toe all round. This help with some of the understeer and will not adversely effect your tire wear. It will probably help it actually.

The car will push at the limit - it's a nose heavy car. However, if you find you're plowing in the turns, you went in too hard and applied too much lock. A Subaru requires that you use the "slow in, fast out" technique.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

I have to agree with working on the driver first. I have had my STI for a year
    now. Prior to that I autocrossed in a 95 Mustang GT. Talk about understeer. After buying the STI I went to Lime Rock and found the car to have very little understeer. Not sure what my laps times where but I consitently had to pull into the pits to get seperation from the rest of the field. I concentrated on the getting to the apex or close and then full power. With an AWD the rear stays planted and you go....

Skip Barber is the place to go although I can't afford it now...I practice with the most realistic PC sims and believe or not it helps.

How much is a custom alignment?

Locked is not not not 50/50. Only an open and evenly geared diff gives 50/50 torque split. The STI center diff is not evenly geared and thus cannot ever give an even torque split. It frustrates me that Subaru themselves fail to communicate this correctly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Waddayamean "not evenly geared"?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
    Waddayamean "not evenly geared"?
    The way Subaru achieves a fundamental rearward torque bias is by using asymmetrical gears. With the center diff open, its torque bias is something like 65/35. It's a simple ratio of the gear sizes. Across the diff is a computer controlled clutch which can selectively lock up the two outputs, making their speeds get closer together as the clutch approaches full lockup. When the clutch is fully locked, the front and rear props are at the same speed all the time but the torque relationship is not defined.

I just saw this thread and wanted to add to it. I recently removed the heavy steel subframe and installed the Perrin Cross Frame, replaced the front bumper beam with a soJDM beam, installed PDE camber plates. Lost the battery for one of those small little guys.

Changed the entire corner entry allowing for faster entry and blazing exit. I am running R compound and setting camber to -2.0. I think losing almost 100 pounds off the front end helped a bunch. I leave the diff in auto.

There is a trade off.....if I ever hit something head on the engine will probably end up in my lap.

Quote Originally Posted by stight View Post
    I just saw this thread and wanted to add to it. I recently removed the heavy steel subframe and installed the Perrin Cross Frame, replaced the front bumper beam with a soJDM beam, installed PDE camber plates. Lost the battery for one of those small little guys.

Changed the entire corner entry allowing for faster entry and blazing exit. I am running R compound and setting camber to -2.0. I think losing almost 100 pounds off the front end helped a bunch. I leave the diff in auto.

There is a trade off.....if I ever hit something head on the engine will probably end up in my lap.
    And made yourself illegal for just about every AX class out there
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag View Post
    And made yourself illegal for just about every AX class out there
    I have a bone stock 2007 that I autocross. I use the 2005 for club events.

I'm not running an STI, but, in my WRX Wagon, I got some beneficial effect from running the front tire pressure higher than the rear. In my last two events, I ran 46 psi up front and 40 in the rear. It does not eliminate the push, but, at least on my wagon, it reduced the push enough to tell a difference. Cheap and easy. I don't know how the STI pressures are by default. You might try it.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast