STX suspension setup and question thread - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on STX suspension setup and question thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jcroy66 Yep, sure would. 2WD cars can add (or change) LSDs in STX or STU, but AWD ...

Quote Originally Posted by jcroy66 View Post
    Yep, sure would. 2WD cars can add (or change) LSDs in STX or STU, but AWD cars are not permitted. An LSD would bump you to SP.
    Yup. That's exactly what I figured that would do.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wagone this may be slightly off topic, but what offset are your new wheels, and are you rubbing at all with the suspension setup now?

I also have a wagon and I am on H-techs w/ stock struts right now. I will be looking to pick up some wheels and tires hopefully this season, just wanted to see if you were having any clearance issues running the 235's on a wagon?

Also I recently installed the Perrin 22mm rear bar with Perrin F & R endlinks, what should be a good setting on that bar with the stock one still up front? I have tried both the middle and the stiffest settings and really don't feel any dfference on the street. I am going to get my alignment done tomorrow so hopefully once the car is all alligned I will be able to play with the RSB settings and actually be able to feel the differences. And another question for anyone I guess, from what I have gathered in here, I am under the impression that it would be best to run a big sway bar up front. So I am thinking that I will go with the Perrin 25mm front bar eventually, does that sound like a good setup for STU?

BTW I think I met you a while back (maybe October or November) down at Mid Atlantic Grand Prix, I had just picked up my 06' Wagon. I just wanted to let you know that you sold me on the Borla Hush man, I love mine. I am going to try to make it out to the SJR event this Sunday, so I will look for you there.
    Last edited by rtstone; 03-29-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    The ride height is very even with the RCE lowering plates. I'll have to get some measurements and pictures.

For consistency, where do you like to take your measurements?
    Ahhh- you've got the RCE lowering paltes

best to measure from the center of the hub, straight up to the wheel arch (in the rear go the metal-not the rubber) You'll a flat surface to measure on- any inclines can really throw the numbers off
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

The wheels that I have are 17x8 with a +45 offset. With my winter setup (stock struts and USDM STi springs) and ~1.5 neg. camber in the rear, the tires just rubbed the rubber fender lip liner. I would imagine that with the car now a good bit lower and running ~1.0 neg. camber that the wheel and tire setup that I intend to run will rub. I really don't see anyway that it won't rub. I plan on trying to roll my rear fender lip this Friday or Saturday.

In regard to the front swaybar, I am absolutely amazed at the handling improvement of my 27/29 bar. I'm running on the 27mm setting for street use and I am quite looking forward to using the 29mm setting this weekend at the SJR event. For the rear, the car currently exhibits controlled rotation under throttle and large amounts of off-throttle oversteer. It is controllable, but it would definitely be a bit unnerving for an inexperienced driver. I still need to play with the rear swaybar settings to find out which one is best. I'm currently using the 22mm setting. I imagine the softer setting would be good for autox.

Yeah that is pretty much what i was thinking, I think that now i need the front bar in order to get the predictable oversteer that I am looking for. I will try to run on the softer setting and see how that does for this weekend. thanks

Well, to recap from the SJR event today...

I was playing around with suspension setup all day. I was probably under the car as much as I was in it. Playing with swaybar settings and the Koni's.

Here's what I liked:

Front swaybar set to 29mm.
    I set the front bar to 29mm to start the day. In the am heat the car was pushing quite a bit. I thought that maybe the swaybar was a bit to stiff and it wasn't allowing enough weight to transfer to the outside tire (turns out it was more driver than anything). In the afternoon heat for the first run I dropped the setting back down to 27mm. Now the turn-in just got sloppy and vague. I went in to paddock real quick and put the front bar back to 29mm.

Rear swaybar set to 24mm.
    I'm quite a bit surprised by this one myself. I might still do a bit of tinkering with this yet. When I set the front bar back to the 29mm setting in the afternoon, I set the rear bar to 24mm from 20mm where it has been all day. The rear end of the car was much more stable in the slow sweeping corners. I'm still going to play with the rear swaybar setting during the year, but I think that I can use the rear bar settings to dial in how much rotation I want in the car. Air pressures can also be used to do this so it will take some time to see how I will use this adjustability in my setup.

Koni inserts set to about 1 full turn both front and rear.
    This is close to what I like on the street. The lot for the course was not very smooth so I think this has a lot to do with why I liked these settings. I think for a smoother lot or a course that is more transition intensive, I might like bumping this up a bit. Again, I will need to play with this a bit.

Results from the day:
    37.988 last run of the day
    1st in STX
    3rd in PAX

Not bad for all of that playing around with suspension settings.

Well, you're where I'm at now with 29mm front, 24mm rear.

Now you've just gotta get those spring rates up until your fillings are falling out!

Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
    Well, you're where I'm at now with 29mm front, 24mm rear.

Now you've just gotta get those spring rates up until your fillings are falling out!
    No.

I'm thinking about picking up a 24mm adjustable now that I know I will never use the 20mm setting for anything.

I'm happy with the spring/strut combo, at least for now.

Someone got a wicked pic from the weekend. This is my first run I believe.

I'm really trying to decide what to do for my suspension this year - I've got the Tein RA's to put on but I don't know that I want to compromise the daily driveability of the car, although I don't daily drive it at all.

I think I'll see how it feels with just struts/springs and the stiff sways, then go from there.

Jay

I'm really trying to decide what to do for my suspension this year - I've got the Tein RA's to put on but I don't know that I want to compromise the daily driveability of the car, although I don't daily drive it at all.

I think I'll see how it feels with just struts/springs and the stiff sways, then go from there.

Jay
    So far I'm quite happy with my spring strut combo. I might concider getting the RCE springs in a while just to give them a try, but the JDM pinks and Koni's ride quite well.

What spring strut combo are you going to use?

I have sti springs and AGX'es, they've been my trusty standby for a few years now.

I have sti springs and AGX'es, they've been my trusty standby for a few years now.
    I very much wanted to do an autox event with my stock struts with USDM STi springs and the stiffened swaybar setup but that did not work out. Therefore I don't have experience with a similar setup, but I would have to think that a stiffer spring/strut setup would do you some good.

I think I'm going to call RCE and get the 24mm adjustable bar.

Wagone where did you find the pic at? I am wondering if they got any of me too?
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by rtstone View Post
    Wagone where did you find the pic at? I am wondering if they got any of me too?

clicky

Your car:

There is a thread on the SJR forum. If you want the hi-res picture you can email the guy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.