STX Wheel and Tire Choice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STX Wheel and Tire Choice within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK guys, I am saving up for a new wheel and tire package for next season. I've been looking at ...

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school

STX Wheel and Tire Choice

OK guys, I am saving up for a new wheel and tire package for next season. I've been looking at some different options but in the end function over form rules. So I want to get the wheel size figured out before I start looking at all of the wheel options.

I'd like to use a 245mm wide tire and at least a 17x8 wheel. I have no idea on offset. I want a wheel that will be able to fit an aftermarket BBK if I go that route one day. For now the only brake upgrade i can see is the FHI 4/2 pot upgrade.

If possible I'd like to be able to go to a wider tire when I get bumped to ESP (when I decided to get a set of Khumo 710s) or SM. I know that I'll most likely have to make some body modifications, such as rolling the fenders and such which I'm ok with doing.

Any suggestions? I know someone is going to say that I need to learn to drive better... I will not lie. I know that I need to learn more... everyone continues learning.

Thanks Guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    8"' is the max width STX wheel, so that's easy 245 maximum width- so that's pretty easy too. I'd consider the 235/40- still pretty wide and you also see some "gearing" advantages.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

yeah I looked it up... for some reason I was thinking that a 8.5" wide wheel was allowed... I assume that I will have to do some clearance work to get the 245 or 235 tires to fit. In terms of offset, would I be safe to assume that the offset that is provided by many of the Subaru venders be ok? I'd rather have numbers to go by...

I Support ClubWRX
    For a 8" wheel I'd say offset in the 45-48 range would be pretty close to where you want to be.

235's you may be able to get away w/ w/o rolling the rear fenders, 245's will be pretty close- lots depends on your suspenion (stiffness of springs/lowering/rear camber), but good chance you'd hve to roll the fenders.

I don't know if you remember my thread about the Koni inserts and GC springs? The suspension isn't going to be VERY stiff... my spring rates are going to be around 280 in front and 250 in the rear. Rolling the fenders is ok with me. I have a friend at a local shop who can do it pretty cheaply... so probably with either tire I will roll them just for peace of mind.

I'm starting to get very excited about next season!

Also keep in mind that you can't roll the fenders out in STX. All you can roll is the inner lip of the fender out of the way.

FWIW, the wheels you use for STX would be wholly unsuited for ESP or SM, at least at a national or divisional level. You should probably plan to buy new wheels as well as new tires if you decide to later jump to ESP or SM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcroy66
    Also keep in mind that you can't roll the fenders out in STX. All you can roll is the inner lip of the fender out of the way.

FWIW, the wheels you use for STX would be wholly unsuited for ESP or SM, at least at a national or divisional level. You should probably plan to buy new wheels as well as new tires if you decide to later jump to ESP or SM.
    I know that I will not be competitive in ESP or SM... That's ok... I could then sell those wheels for something bigger later. The SM boys from my region (Mid-South Region) got the butts kicked by highly preped cars... with HUGE wings.

AS for rolling the fenders, I was thinking only of rolling the inner lip.

Just out of curiosity, what do SM or ESP WRX guys run? I saw some HUGE rubber in the pictures that some friends of mine took.

jcroy, I noticed the stoptech link... do you run their brake setup?
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 10-06-2006 at 07:50 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    rolling is very painless and well worth it if going to wider tires/rims. I rented the tool for cheap (came a heat gun as well) and it was easy/shmeasy

We actually own a fender roller that we've never used. We thought we'd need it when we went to 245/40-17 MXs at the beginning of last year, but didn't need it for those or for the 235/40-17 Yokohamas that we switched to a few months later (and still use). That's for a sedan.

On a wagon, however, I imagine fender rolling would definitely be required. I don't remember what Pzary said his car was.

The fender roller HAS gotten a fair amount of use though, by various SP and SM competitors in our area.

Pzary, yes, we use the StopTech front Big Brake kit - 328 x 28 mm Rotor/ 4 Piston Caliper. Love them!!

I totally agree that you could sell these wheels when/if you change classes. I just wanted you to be cognizant of that. The 17x8s would be legal in SP of course, but so would considerably wider wheels.

As for what are the ESP and SM WRXs running? Hmm, if there were any national examples, I could tell you. Thus far, the only recent example I can think of would be Phil Bedard's effort in SM. And last I heard, he was moving all the components to an L, for the weight-savings of that chassis. I don't remember what size wheels Phil was using, but I bet Jay (thechickencow) can tell us if/when he sees this thread.

Edit: Looks like Jose from FL has a SM WRX. He was pretty high up at Nationals (either a trophy or just out of the trophies). For some reason, I'd thought he had an STi, but the entry list says WRX. So you might check with him. I know he's on NASIOC (Pacobeagle1). According to his profile, looks like he's currently running 17x10s.
    Last edited by jcroy66; 10-06-2006 at 11:38 AM.

P.S. Many of the national STX guys (including us) are running the Enkei RPF-1s in 17x8, +45 offset.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a Sedan. I think rolling the fenders would give me a bit of peace of mind. might as well do it.

I was just worried that my original idea of a 17x8 with a 245 (ish) tire would be out of line with what could physically fit without modification. I mocked up a 255/45/17 one time and it was a little too big. Granted that tire was supposed to go on another project...

Why the switch from the 245 MXs to the 235 Yokohamas?

EDIT: brake clearance is another issue for me... as a stoptech kit is looking better every day!
    EDIT again: For some reason the RPF-1s are not very good looking for me... I know that they are popular. Another suggestion? but in the end function over form!
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 10-06-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Another suggestion with "function over form"? Volks. Course, they cost three times as much...

Another suggestion with "function over form"? Volks. Course, they cost three times as much...
    Volks were an option but their price tag SUCKS!

Right. My point is that if you want a lightweight 17x8 with a WRX-appropriate offset, I've just listed your 2 basic choices. There's a reason that the "RPF1s are popular". It's not that we all think they're the prettiest wheels ever. They're light, they have the right offset, they're strong, and they're cheap. End of story.

Some people run Rotas, but they're adding a bunch of unsprung weight by doing so. And I don't like the Rota's longevity track-record, myself.

Right. My point is that if you want a lightweight 17x8 with a WRX-appropriate offset, I've just listed your 2 basic choices. There's a reason that the "RPF1s are popular". It's not that we all think they're the prettiest wheels ever. They're light, they have the right offset, they're strong, and they're cheap. End of story.

Some people run Rotas, but they're adding a bunch of unsprung weight by doing so. And I don't like the Rota's longevity track-record, myself.
    RPF-1s it is! I'm not keen on the Rotas either... I'm actually kind of scared of them from pictures that I have seen. Not to mention the weight issue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast