STX Wheel and Tire Choice - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on STX Wheel and Tire Choice within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; what year is your wrx and are you selling the stock wheels?...

what year is your wrx and are you selling the stock wheels?
    00 Black Honda Civic Si Stolen RIP
    04 Blue Subaru Impreza WRX

kill thieves:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Well you're pushing a 325 on a 7.5" wheels... you'll have some curve to the tire, I think that an 8" wide wheel would be better, then I'd go with the RPF-01s.. but the Volks are so sexy!

The volks are 587 PER WHEEL

You might want to call up Tristan over at King of Parts, he's selling RPFs for 900 shipped.
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    $575 for a set of Volks would certainly be a steal

if your considering 235's- go 8" (or even wider if you have not limit on wheel width)

$900 for RPF-1's is going to very tough to beat
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

If you can stand the looks of the 5Zigens, those are the best bang for buck IMHO. I can't (on a Subaru at least; they look great on an MR2), and I love goooold so I ended up with RPF-1's.

And yeah, those Volks are not $587/set

Wow, for some reason, when i put them in the cart i saw quantity = 4 @ $587...but that's how many you want to order.

I do love gooooold. Too bad they're more expensive than the silver...i'm a cheapo and don't care what i look like for 8 hrs one sunday a month.

Thanks for the tip on rpf1's, i'll give him a call. I think they're my ultimate goal and i'll save for a while. I have some Flik ?'s 17x8 @ 22lbs, so lead wheels would be an improvement, but i'm looking for regional competitiveness.

p.s. i will be selling the stockers to fund the new ones, not sure when...email me (penderperson (at) gmail (dot) com).

p.p.s. Big Sky...did i see somewhere that you race w/ 16x8's?? @ 13.x lbs? What about your gearing? How's this working for you, did you compare light 17's to those? Is it really worth 2 lbs/corner, gearing makes or breaks us w/ our torque curve doesn't it?
    Last edited by penderperson; 02-20-2008 at 11:04 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by penderperson View Post

p.p.s. Big Sky...did i see somewhere that you race w/ 16x8's?? @ 13.x lbs? What about your gearing? How's this working for you, did you compare light 17's to those? Is it really worth 2 lbs/corner, gearing makes or breaks us w/ our torque curve doesn't it?
    I was on 16's (nice light 16's ) for several years, but the only decent (ST*) tires that could be found were in 225/50/16- not wide enough and as you mention no gearing advantage (they are within a tenth of an inch of oe in height)

this year I finally succumbed to 17's I went hog wild and got two sets, both Enkei (ES Tarmacs & RC-T4's) both 17x8 they will both be wrapped w/ 235/40/17 Neovas (one shaved, one full tread)

Awesome, i'm def. stickin to my plan then, more rubber > 2lbs/corner. Gearing is practically a necessity.

I haven't ax'd it yet, any quirks or things that were especially difficult to learn/overcome. 3rd gear for most or 2nd? My GTI topped out @ 69mph in 2nd!!!

Awesome, i'm def. stickin to my plan then, more rubber > 2lbs/corner. Gearing is practically a necessity.

I haven't ax'd it yet, any quirks or things that were especially difficult to learn/overcome. 3rd gear for most or 2nd? My GTI topped out @ 69mph in 2nd!!!
    You should never have to use 3rd in a 2.0L WRX at a normal autox

Sweet, the fewer the better. What's it top out @?

I Support ClubWRX
    ~ 62 mph give or take

we do have a few autox events where we are shifting to 3rd- those happen to be my favorite events

couple of things you'll notice- if your off boost, you don't have much power- try to stay in boost as much as possible- left foot braking would be a good technique to practice; the AWD will help you out of corners, it will not help you into corners (much like FWD)- slow in/fast out

and I don't think you'll be lifting your hind leg (rear wheel) as much as you did w/ the GTI

17x8 Cheap 5zigen fnor-1 17lbs, $150/ea = $600
    http://www.edgeracing.com/wheel/210/
    My set just came today, $638 to my door. Great deal. Koni/GC setup coming Monday......

I Support ClubWRX
    damn that is a good deal!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234