Will rallycross break my car?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Will rallycross break my car? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was thinking of going to one near St. Louis this weekend but I hesitate because I really don't want ...

Will rallycross break my car?

I was thinking of going to one near St. Louis this weekend but I hesitate because I really don't want to mess up the car I've had for only a month. I don't want to be stuck 250 miles from home for a week while I wait to get my car fixed.

I see these pictures of cars completely covered in dirt and mud and think about what the underside must look like. Is damage common? Even relatively minor damage such as cracked windshields, torn brake and fuel lines, punctured fuel tanks, shredded tires, bent rims, ripped out exhausts, etc.

I do want to go though because they really look like fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I asked a similar question via PM after reading the sticky. I've attended three rallycrosses in the past 6 months, and so far no damage has occurred. I have found dust and dirt in even the most enclosed spaces, so be sure to keep things well lubed and clean after each race. And the way I see it, if I blow a strut, it's a way to talk my wife into letting me buy coilovers.

Originally Posted by Ozymandias
    a roll over will almost never happen at a rallycross. the course design and safety stewards there won't allow the possibility. if they think that a car would be close to rolling at a spot they will change the course.

now with regards to suspension, it can be hard on it. it mostly depends upon your driving style and how hard you intend on pushing. some people, myself included, will drive through anything with little regard for how big of a bump it is, and some others will go easier. you can possibly bottom a suspension by cornering hard and hitting a dip, but if damage or fear or it is a big concern just take it a little easier in those spots. i probably wouldn't go if your suspension was lowered though.

a rally cross isn't hardly dangerous at all to competitor or car. the part about repairs i suppose is mostly a disclaimer. it is racing and you can damage some suspension bits or tires if driven hard. but i have experienced more damage to my car from rocks, potholes, cattleguards and other daily driving than from a rally cross.

watkins is a great course, especially for someone's first time. at the very least show up and see if you think the course will suit you. if it does enter.

the colorado rally guys are amazing. i think you'ld have fun. look especially for rupert or ken.

good luck!

mark malsom

anything like this going on in the L.A. area?

oh, and dont forget to clean/replace your airfilter after an event.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

will it be too hard for a 07 STI lowered on cobb sport springs ? i have a 2'' drop front and a 1.5'' on the back.

If your car has stock suspension, you'll be fine. Lowered cars might catch a lip. Put your a/c on recirculate so you don't suck in dust from outside.

The trick to prevent dust from coming inside the car is don't open the windows until a few seconds after you've stopped to give the dust cloud to dissipate. I always forget and open the windows immediately after and get a poof.

yes.
    93' Impreza Open class rally car / 94' Impreza LS wagon /02' WRX Prod AWD rally car = DEAD 2011 WRX sedan rally car coming soon

74' 914 ...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.